Newbie asking a greenhorn question: Pedaling backwards

anonymousmoose

Newbie asking a greenhorn question: Pedaling backwards

Postby anonymousmoose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:06 pm

With my Acera 24 speed (bought this week) I find that when I am in top gear (3 & 8 ) and I Pedal backwards, the chain is very very loose. When I switch to something like 3 & 6, its doesn't seem to do it.

I'm so new to biking I dont even know if its bad for the gear to Pedaling backwards...

It was so loose that the chain hit the bar under the chain and its now greasy.

Maybe this is normal? Or does the bike shop need to tighten something? But I'd be interested to learn how to do it myself if there are instructions somewhere.

PS
When I'm on the straight (no hill) and I have it in 3 & 8, and pedal forwards its also sounds a little tense and ticks a bit, but maybe that is also normal? :?

Again, sorry for the silly questions, but give it some time and I'll help you all on the forum educate the future newbie.

greyhoundtom

Re: Newbie asking a greenhorn question: Pedaling backwards

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:08 am

Why back pedal?............there is no need, and it makes no sense to do so.

If the chain makes a noise when pedalling make sure the chain has been appropriately lubed, and that you are not cross chaining needlessly.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:17 am

I'm assuming by "3x8" you mean the big sprocket on the front and the smallest one on the back? If so, that doesn't sound sinister to me. If it isn't slack pedalling forward, I don't expect there's much to worry about.

+1 to what greyhoundtom said about not pedalling backwards.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:29 am

anonymousmoose wrote:I find that when I am in top gear (3 & 8 ) and I Pedal backwards, the chain is very very loose. When I switch to something like 3 & 6, its doesn't seem to do it.
Why do you need to pedal backwards a lot?

Re the slack chain, yes this can happen. 3-8 on a 24 sp is top gear. The smaller sprocket size means the chain has less leverage on the freehub mech. Being a new bike and new freehub, the lube in it is still fresh and the pawls and springs tight so there is more drag on the backpedal motion - the chain goes slack. With the lower gears there is more leverage and this doesn't happen. Ride your bike more then see if it still occurs. Even then, is it really a problem??

I've seen it occur with a MTB that has been really gunked up with mud etc. The drag on a corroded freehub can be bad enough that the chain wants to keep running when you coast. If this is occurring with yours then it is a problem. Otherwise, nup.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

munga

Postby munga » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:37 pm

the chain looks saggy because it has to be long enough to fit on the big ring at the front and the big sprocket at the back. people tend to do silly things like that.
if you want to pedal backwards, go ahead - nothing's going to break or fall off (although the chain may fall off if you get a bit enthusiastic).
grease on your chainstay can be cleaned off with a cloth.

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks all! I didn't meant to imply I pedal backward a lot :-). But you know how it is... You buy something for the first time and one gets interested how it all works. I realise there probably is no logical reason to do it, but I tried it when going down a big hill and noticed it happening so thought I'd ask of its a sign of a 'loose chain' or something.

What you guys are saying seems logical. If its on the smallest spoke at the back, obviously it's looser than the larger ones.

I am a bit of a worry wart, been that way all my life. I guess on plus side it makes me very attention to detail oriented.

THANKS ALL!! Very kind of you to educate me.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:01 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:Why back pedal?............there is no need, and it makes no sense to do so.
Auto zero my power meter during a ride.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 pm

skull wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:Why back pedal?............there is no need, and it makes no sense to do so.
Auto zero my power meter during a ride.
I have learned something new again :D

Not that I will ever have the need for a power meter on my bike. :(