Wrong bike rack - please help!

Missy8787

Wrong bike rack - please help!

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:33 pm

Hello everyone,

My partner and l have just bought some bikes, l have a Giant Cypress DX W and he has a Giant Roam 1.

We bought a bike rack to use on his Suzuki Jimny, it fits the car fine, but not our bikes.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with giant bicycles and bike racks for a Jimny?

If this is in the wrong area on the forum, l do apologise.

Cheers
Sarah

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Wrong bike rack - please help!

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:01 pm

G'Day Sarah, we'll need to know what sort of rack it is to have some sort of idea. Can you also explain what it is about the bikes that does not fit?

At a totally uneducated guess, maybe THIS will help?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Of course, that would help wouldn't it!

It's a buzzrack gazelle ball bike rack.

The problem is - the spacing between the support arms on the rack are too wide (too far apart). my partners bike doesn't fit. My bike sits too low, and the wheel sits too low. My partner also said that my bike will get scratched from getting it on and off. We have a bar each for our bikes.

I am hoping this information helps?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 pm

Might be a silly question, but have you tried adjusting the cross-arm bolt so that the support arms are
brought inwards ?
see here for more details of rack
The product is not merchandiseable if it couldn't handle a small size adult bicycle - so you'd be well
within your rights to expect a refund.

As for your bike being too low, the adapter linked by Mulger Bill is the likely solution.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Not familiar with that type but it sounds odd that the arms are too widely spaced to fit.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm

wombatK wrote:Might be a silly question, but have you tried adjusting the cross-arm bolt so that the support arms are
brought inwards ?
see here for more details of rack
The product is not merchandiseable if it couldn't handle a small size adult bicycle - so you'd be well
within your rights to expect a refund.

As for your bike being too low, the adapter linked by Mulger Bill is the likely solution.
That might be why, my partners Roam is a small size. We have the adapter for my bike and it is still pretty low. I will try and get a picture up when l can. He said that with his bike, as it's too small it will get really badly scratched if he tried to force is on the rack. He has tried adjusting the cross-arm bolt, but it's still too wide.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Missy8787 wrote:We have the adapter for my bike and it is still pretty low. I will try and get a picture up when l can.
Had a similar problem with my daughters bike on a different rack back in the day. I wound up putting the rear loop of the adapter on the top tube rather than the seatpost, made just enough difference.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy8787

Postby Missy8787 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

We went back to the bike shop today, we ended up exchanging for a Pacific branded one, we opted for the 3 bike rack instead of just 2. My partner is a lot happier, it is still a bit fiddly but at least it will hopefully work. We are going to test I out for the first time on road next weekend. Thank you so much for your help :)