Wheel lights

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wheel lights

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:22 pm

I interviewed one of the guys from Revolights.. a few techy questions in there which I hope everyone appreciates:
Interview with Jim Houk of Revolights
Cycling is in my BNA

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:48 pm

burger wrote:
cp123 wrote:I have spoke lights that I got from Kathmandu (at a 40% off price!). I don't put them on every night, but they seem to stand out pretty well. I have 2 on each wheel opposite each other so its a fairly solid "circle" of light.
Do you ride through Neutral Bay? Last winter, I saw a rider with a single circle of light around each wheel and it REALLY caught my attention . . . . maybe as it was something unusual.
stu.
Could have been me. Used to live in Neutral Bay (up till July last year). Got some cheapo lights that screw onto the valve cap. They work with centrifugal pressure, so only when you're rolling. they look cool and stand out to traffic. Got a set from Cheeky Monkey (AT) Newtown, and after they died got some off Ebay.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I've got reflex tape on my rims and it does the job better than any plastic reflectors.
Those black 3M reflective tapes are amazing!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 pm

In regard to lights fitted to the wheel spokes, other than those from Revolights, I still believe that anything which causes the wheels to become out of balance is not a good thing, particularly at 60+ km per hour down hill speeds.

Like car wheels that are out of balance and cause severe vibration, a front bike wheel severely out of balance is likely to cause major problems with steering due to excessive vibration at high speeds.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:53 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I interviewed one of the guys from Revolights.. a few techy questions in there which I hope everyone appreciates:
Interview with Jim Houk of Revolights
Interesting read. I like the idea of them, and would be prepared to put them on a commute bike. Concerned about the weight of the system being on the rim and the balance implications with batteries.

One of the benefits of a US release first is we get to hear about the issues/teething problems/etc before we buy 8)

EDIT: just looked through their website at the design and noticed the battery is at the hub, which sounds more sensible to me.

Cheers,
Dave

axix245

Postby axix245 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:57 pm

i also think that also light wheel are the main cause of road accident.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:30 pm

The Revolights are now on the market for US$250 for a front and rear set according to Gizmag.

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:The Revolights are now on the market for US$250 for a front and rear set according to Gizmag.

Andrew
If I were Revolights, I'd be looking at a rim and hub partner as fast as I could - that looks to be a 2 hour install, which will make the 250 dollar lights into a 400 dollar set of lights... and I'm not sure the solution is elegant enough for my liking. I already have too many cable times on my commuter. I couldn't have that aethestic on my weekender.

If it was just a bit prettier, I can't imagine most people considering another option... stick em on some Velocity B43s or something!