Video Camera who uses one?

hannos

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby hannos » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:33 pm

Got a Go Pro Hero 2 for my birthday. Now I just need to figure out if I want to mount it:

On my helmet facing forward.
On my helmet facing backwards
On the bars facing forwards
On the frame pointing backwards...

Decisions decisions.

Oh and I want a mount for my car too! :)
2010 BMC SLC01

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:48 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I am working on getting a review of the sony action cam for bicycles.net.au , I was aiming for before they arrived in the shops though without any success yet. Will keep you posted and if it does eventuate will aim to get some footage up quickly.
:) Can't wait for your review!

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:49 pm

hannos wrote:Got a Go Pro Hero 2 for my birthday. Now I just need to figure out if I want to mount it:

On my helmet facing forward.
On my helmet facing backwards
On the bars facing forwards
On the frame pointing backwards...

Decisions decisions.
The Chest Mount gives the best footage in my experience.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm on a road bike and I ride in the drops fairly regularly. Does it still have good footage when used n that position?
2010 BMC SLC01

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

hannos wrote:I'm on a road bike and I ride in the drops fairly regularly. Does it still have good footage when used n that position?

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

Good point.

Except I jsut checked and I don't have a chest mount :(
Might just helmet mount it for now.
2010 BMC SLC01

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 pm

hannos wrote:Good point.

Memory might be faulty here but didn't somebody mention that they MacGyvered a chest mount out of the packaging? :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Memory might be faulty here but didn't somebody mention that they MacGyvered a chest mount out of the packaging? :?
Yep that would be me, you can make a chest mount using the base plate that came with the packaging and some strapping.

You can find it here, it can be a done a lot better, this was a rush job just to get it up and posted.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:02 am

hannos wrote:I'm on a road bike and I ride in the drops fairly regularly. Does it still have good footage when used n that position?
Yep. It can produce pretty good footage especially if you go aggressive on the drops and race through corners as you and the bike move around. If you ever go for the chest mount down the line there are a few things to take into consideration if your setting up for using the drops. Mostly your riding positioning/style on the bike ie if you set up for riding on the drops and you choose to sit up/using the drops and going from a seated position to a standing position or even getting into a aerodynamic position on the drops your view changes. It's not a big deal in the overall sense but if you go for a specific style you view can change by quite alot.

To give an example of how much it can change depending on your body positioning here is an example.

Using the drops in a specific position
Sitting up at the lights with that same position

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm

I find having the camera mounted on the helmet allows you to easily turn and point the camera at rego plates or POIs without shifting in the saddle. So I keep mine on my head ;-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Nhutty

Postby Nhutty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:07 pm

DavidTomic wrote:For those of you who are familiar with the Imging camera equipped glasses (they've been mentioned in this thread a few times), they've just released a new model which looks a whole lot slicker than the original.

http://www.imging.com.au/

I've had mine on order for over a month now (waiting for the initial stock to arrive), and this afternoon they were finally waiting for me when I got home! :D :D :D

I'm just giving them a quick charge at the moment, then I'll jump on the bike for a short spin so that I can post a couple of sample videos for you.

Stay tuned ...

EDIT: For the sake of reference, here's what the original model looked like. It's a pretty vast improvement IMHO!

Hi DavidTomic, this videocamera/sunglasses looks great. How are you finding it on your commutes?

I've looked on the imging website and noticed two models (x2 an z2). Are they exactly the same but just different colour scheme? Its hard to tell cause the pictures aren't conclusive.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 pm

... an we now see an updated camera from Drift Innovation. Called the Drift HD Ghost, it’s a feature-laden alternative to the company's existing Drift HD – which is already a pretty nice sports video camera.

Like the HD, the Ghost has a 170-degree lens that can be swiveled independently of the rest of the camera. This allows the camera to be mounted at whatever angle is most convenient, with the shot subsequently being leveled out via a twisting of the lens. Another one of the big selling features of both cameras is their integrated LCD viewfinder/playback screen, although at two inches, the Ghost’s is larger – it’s also fronted with high-impact Gorilla Glass.

More details at Gizmag.

Andrew

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:37 pm

I have a #16 camera and auxiliary battery pack.

Does anyone else have these problems:-

1. Difficulty starting recording.

2. Batteries discharging if fully charged and then left for 48 hours before attempting recording?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm

First Kickstarter project that has grabbed my attention. Please tell me why putting up $199 is a bad idea :)

Spectacam is a dual video sports camera with WiFi capabilities for the sports enthusiast wanting a lightweight, streamlined, functional and cool looking camera to document their adventures.

Full details at Kickstarter.

Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:14 pm

http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/video-camera-sunglasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$40 with free delivery. I'm sorely tempted to get them and put my Contour onto the bike.
2012 Oppy A4

Nhutty

Postby Nhutty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:34 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/video-camera-sunglasses/

$40 with free delivery. I'm sorely tempted to get them and put my Contour onto the bike.
looks like the same as the DX sunglasses,

http://dx.com/p/usb-rechargeable-hd-720 ... 635?item=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

haven't seen any reviews so can't comment on the quality...

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:24 pm

Just a word of thanks to GoPro here...

http://norbs.tk/bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good service.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:49 pm

just a thought Andrew, the iphone is mounted on the handle bars making the phone hans free, is it leagle whilts riding and say adjusting the phone settings
did you see go pro on sixy minutes tonite? intresting a australian surfer invented the gopro idea a while back
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 am

orbeas wrote:just a thought Andrew, the iphone is mounted on the handle bars making the phone hans free, is it leagle whilts riding and say adjusting the phone settings
did you see go pro on sixy minutes tonite? intresting a australian surfer invented the gopro idea a while back
* Californian surfer got the idea while surfing in Australia.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am

On the 60minutes - it was an american surfer who said the idea came up in Australia - though he did mention working on prototypes so it is possible that in the coverage the "australian angle" was spun. Seemed like a big GoPro advert (timely with the new GoPros) and considering how this story was announced, I would have expected to see other camera's. Of interest was the different levels of footage quality, the Pro's really know how to get the most out of it.

On the fiming, it is worth noting that in creating a shot for top footage that we see presented in 60 minutes, a strong feature is showing the person in the field of view. The exciting footage is seeing a sports person/adventurer/etc in their element rather than seeing what they see. For commuting cyclists, obviously camera footage is more for documentation, for MTBers as an example, the focus is better set on the rider.
Last edited by AUbicycles on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Ozdavo beat me.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 am

orbeas wrote:just a thought Andrew, the iphone is mounted on the handle bars making the phone hans free, is it leagle whilts riding and say adjusting the phone settings
Didn't see 60 Minutes. Don't bother watching it ... infotainment is not my thing. Not sure about the hands free aspect being legal or not. I haven't looked into it as I don't use my phone when riding or driving so not up on the finer aspect of the recent changes in the law in WA.

Andrew

JBark

Postby JBark » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:First Kickstarter project that has grabbed my attention. Please tell me why putting up $199 is a bad idea :)

Spectacam is a dual video sports camera with WiFi capabilities for the sports enthusiast wanting a lightweight, streamlined, functional and cool looking camera to document their adventures.

Full details at Kickstarter.

Andrew
Now that's creepy. Just the other day I was chatting with my wife about how nice it would be to have a dual front/rear facing camera on my helmet, both attached by some sort of hinge so you could adjust them. Also envisioned something that was quite flat.

Basically, exactly what that guy designed, almost to a T. Literally the only difference was that mine didn't stick up so high on the mount, was more flush with the helmet. How did this guy get inside my brain? :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:18 pm

You know what, I might go back it as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:57 pm

does anyone have any info on the new #20 Jumbo 808?

apparently the 18 sucked and the 16 is still the best option, but i can't find anything on the 20 yet.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:25 pm

jules21 wrote:does anyone have any info on the new #20 Jumbo 808?
Is that the legit seller of these cameras. Not the one I have used and seen referenced elsewhere? There are Chinese clones of the Chinese cameras :)

Andrew