Automatic DI2? There's an app for that!

Zynster

Automatic DI2? There's an app for that!

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Data is transmitted by the sensors using low-power Bluetooth Smart technology, and is processed by an algorithm on the phone. It compares the rider’s current pedaling speed to their preferred cadence, then instructs the Di2 to shift up or down in order to restore or maintain that cadence.
Is this next years must have? I must admit there is an attraction to going auto. Forget gears and just pedal.

http://www.gizmag.com/automatic-gear-sh ... les/24956/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

warthog1

Re: Automatic DI2? There's an app for that!

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:52 pm

What if you're in a bunch and need to ease of the pedals to maintain a gap to the rider in front or are just coasting down a hill ? Interesting possibility, though not sure how it will go with front ring changes. I wouldn't like to be out of the seat when it tries to shift to the big ring .
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:56 pm

reading it sugests it acts more like a CVT than a conventional auto
idea is interesting. you'd have to switch to manual if you want to HTFU when you hit some gradient

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:What if you're in a bunch and need to ease of the pedals to maintain a gap to the rider in front or are just coasting down a hill ? Interesting possibility, though not sure how it will go with front ring changes. I wouldn't like to be out of the seat when it tries to shift to the big ring .
Presumably it would allow for these conditions. It's cadence based rather than power based, so it would maintain a gear with no power as long as you kept spinning. With access to GPS it would know you were on a hill.

What it wouldn't know is whether or not you were about to attack. Even this might not be such an issue. I've heard DI2 shifts pretty well under load. You'd also assume an auto shift would occur at the optimal point of the stroke. Could be a sprinter's best friend if it works.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I can see sabotage in play with a bunch ride here. :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I can see sabotage in play with a bunch ride here. :twisted:

Foo
bluetooth jammers?

ratter

Postby ratter » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:12 pm

I predicted this would happen a while back when I heard some one had hacked a system to be sequential, would not be hard for somebody with some electrical knowledge and bike smarts, incorporate a cadence sensor into the hacked Di2 processor, allow the rider to set a cadence range they want to be with in and then the system could make it happen.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:00 pm

Zynster wrote:
Data is transmitted by the sensors using low-power Bluetooth Smart technology, and is processed by an algorithm on the phone. It compares the rider’s current pedaling speed to their preferred cadence, then instructs the Di2 to shift up or down in order to restore or maintain that cadence.
Is this next years must have? I must admit there is an attraction to going auto. Forget gears and just pedal.

http://www.gizmag.com/automatic-gear-sh ... les/24956/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's a glaring error in the first sentence of that article:
the systems wirelessly transmit signals from the user-operated shift levers to powered shifting actuators on the front and rear derailleurs
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 am

Could be good for a beginner cyclist?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"