First ride in quite a while...

Chooka

First ride in quite a while...

Postby Chooka » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Well this morning I decided to go for my first ride, it was only short 11.8km for a number of reasons, it's the first ride I've done in approx 10 years, first time riding with cycling shoes and clipless pedals, first time with indexed shifters, first time on a bike with more than 12 gears...I never realized how hilly it is around where I live until I hopped on the bike. Anyway I'm going to have to practice getting my water bottle out, as I nearly crashed several times trying to have a drink.
After arriving home and happy I didn't crash getting my feet off the pedals, I was knackered to say the least, but I've made a start and can only improve on my efforts.
Here's a link to my ride:
http://app.strava.com/runs/22962089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I might do the same ride again tomorrow, and gradually start increasing the distance.
“If you don't have a plan, you become part of somebody else's plan.”
― Terence McKenna

cant_stop

Re: First ride in quite a while...

Postby cant_stop » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Great job mate - stick with it and you will see great improvement in a relatively short time. I agree with what you said about only noticing hills when you start riding, I can't go anywhere now without estimating the gradient of nearby hills!

Impressive top speed for your first ride in 10 years also!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 am

...and on strava already 8)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm

toolonglegs wrote:...and on strava already 8)
and hasn't embarrased himself on the segment he went through.

keep it up.

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it really puts into perspective how fit cyclists are. I've done the same route twice more and managed to take 93 seconds off my first attempt, although I can't better my segment time, I'll put that down to the headwind on the last two attempts.
― Terence McKenna

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am

Ok bit of an update, I've finally got my bike (pic below) and I'm setting myself a 6 month goal of competing in my first competition. Yesterday I managed to do 24km (strava link:http://app.strava.com/activities/27460797)which is twice as far as I'd ridden before (try not to laugh). Before the ride I told my wife if I wasn't back in 70mins to come looking for me, as I wasn't really sure how I'd go, but I was confidant of breaking my PB on one segment, due to the fact I had a reasonably strong tail wind for the first time. Now I really went all out on this segment, and felt like I'd done a PB, got the shock of my life when I got home and find that I'm now KOM!??!. Not sure if it was an iphone glitch or what, but like I said I did go all out here. Anyway back to the ride, after about 11km I was faced with 'Red Hill', not a big hill by an means but plenty big enough for me. I'd check strava before, and set myself a 13min goal and was pretty pleased that 1. I didn't stop and walk and 2. that I did it in 12:12.
I started to cramp badly in my calves at approx 19km, and had to do an exaggerated 'heel down' technique for the rest of the ride home :lol:

All in all I'm pretty happy with how I went and might use this as my regular training route.

Bike is an Azzurri Primo Pro, Ultegra groupset, Mavic Ksyrium equipe wheels, picked it up for $500, very happy with it so far.

― Terence McKenna

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:39 pm

It's baby steps before you can go fast Chooka and good on you. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chooka

Postby Chooka » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Cheers Foo, I went on the 24km ride today, managed to knock 2mins 33secs off the 'Red Hill' segment and 3mins 54secs off my overall time....and no cramps :D
― Terence McKenna

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Nice bike there - I reckon you got a bargain with ultegra and the mavics.

I think most people here will remember their first 10km ride (I rang my husband at 5km to gloat!!), but it keeps building from there. Glad to see you are enjoying it too :)