Truck v Cyclist: Hit and run (Melbourne).

coffeeandwine

Truck v Cyclist: Hit and run (Melbourne).

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm

A very sad story from The Age.

A cyclist was seriously injured when hit by a truck this morning in Exhibition St. The truck did not stop but was seen to brake. A very good description of the incident from a witness. Police looking for a beaten up, unmarked white semi truck carrying sand/dirt heading north on Exhibition St about 9:45

Thoughts are with the injured cyclist, has family and friends.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

jules21

Re: Truck v Cyclist: Hit and run (Melbourne).

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:53 pm

i saw this, absolutely terrible. hope he pulls through and recovers - but being run over by a truck - geez, i'm glad he's alive.

i know it's bad form to critique the riding of injured cyclists, but i think it's worth reinforcing why you shouldn't ride up close to parked cars, as a witness reports the cyclist may have done in this case - it just encourages motorists to squeeze you.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I feel so sorry for the guy and his family. :cry:

It only takes one uncaring lowlife for your existence, and the welfare of your family to be destroyed.

Almost as bad is the fact that if bought to justice the courts simply give them a slap on the wrist because we have become desensitised to the carnage on our roads.

As I have been told now on two ocaisions by friends.........You are kidding.......You ride on the road?
Mate you are just an accident waiting to happen. :x

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:49 pm

Terrible news and I hope he makes a full recovery. As we don't know the facts it is'nt right to make a judgement one way or the other. I regard the cbd including Exhibition St as being pretty safe though so I'm surprised when these things happen. Not sure I agree with the Age's headline and I hope the cyclists family don't read it.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:52 pm

The truck driver was unaware of the cyclist and will not be charged Police are saying.

A cyclist approaching the rear of a truck or bus (or car) has their own life in their hands.

I feel for drivers of large vehicles as I often see people run across roads in front of them or cycle in and around them in Sydney.

Terrible situation, let's hope a full recovery can be made!

JM

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Sydguy wrote:The truck driver was unaware of the cyclist and will not be charged Police are saying.

A cyclist approaching the rear of a truck or bus (or car) has their own life in their hands.

I feel for drivers of large vehicles as I often see people run across roads in front of them or cycle in and around them in Sydney.

Terrible situation, let's hope a full recovery can be made!

JM
The article states "riding parallel with the truck"...no mention of 'alongside, in front or behind'?

Jim

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Plenty of eye witnesses - IF the truck had overtaken the cyclist and basically cut him off then a reasonable person would expect charges to be laid.

However if the cyclist came up from behind the truck and was in the process of over taking on the left between parked cars or was simply cycling beside the truck then it is a totally different story.

I was not there and won't judge either the cyclist or the driver, but I also never overtake large vehicles on their left or right when their engine is running.

JM

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 pm

:( Hope he's back in the saddle as soon as possible.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Hope the cyclist pulls through. My thoughts are with the cyclist and his family.

As for the title of this thread, it's a bit premature. We don't know who was at fault but do know that cyclists (or even car drivers) will always come out second or third best when in the company of a truck. So take care every one and ride extra defensively!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:13 am

Sorry to hear this has happened, but the person should take this as a lesson to be a touch more careful when riding so close to a truck...

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 am

Blinks

Why yes... I suppose he should. And I expect if he lives and can ever ride again he probably will.

Frightfully sorry to bleed all over your wheel old chap.. I wont do it again.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 am

Sydguy wrote:P

I was not there and won't judge either the cyclist or the driver

None of us were so we should not be judging either party. (not aimed at you Sydguy)

Hope the person recovers fully and fast though.
2010 BMC SLC01

ytd

Postby ytd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:47 pm

I am very wary when being overtaken by a truck and often brake hard as soon as one is beside me. Trucks are wide and if they move over on you after they overtake there is nowhere to go but under the rear wheels. I was once knocked off my bike by a truck which overtook me on a roundabout. The cab passed me with a metre to spare but as he turned my bike was sandwiched between his rear wheels and the gutter. Luckily I ended up on the footpath with just a bruised arse but the bike went under the rear wheels. When later stopped by the cops he denied even seeing a bike on the roundabout so no charges or compensation.

Hope the rider recovers. I once gave first aid to a truck driver who was run over by his own truck and he recovered OK.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm

ytd wrote: When later stopped by the cops he denied even seeing a bike on the roundabout so no charges or compensation.
you were lucky not be prosecuted for making a false statement. obviously a professional driver wouldn't have missed seeing you, so it couldn't have happened, or at least not involving him. did you apologise?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:08 pm

The truck driver was unaware of the Police Officer operating the speed camera and will not be charged Police are saying.
2012 Oppy A4

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:59 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
The truck driver was unaware of the Police Officer operating the speed camera and will not be charged Police are saying.

Brilliant!!! 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011