So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Nobody

Re: So how bad is a Big W bike, really?

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

Not the only cheap brand to have problems with cheap BBs. It would be the first thing I replaced if I owned one.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... much+power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 am

I must be missing something. I didn't see any evidence of the BB having broken, and the crank looks intact to me.
I'd put money on the nut (or bolt) that holds the crank on being too loose and the crank simply working itself loose. Once the process starts it gets worse very quickly and is not limited to cheap bikes. A great many expensive aluminium cranks have been reduced to scrap metal in the space of 10km or so. This is one of the biggest advantages of the more modern systems which are less prone to this.

If you have square taper cranks check your fastenings today!

Cheers,

Cameron

(sorry ldr I will post that other item to you tomorrow :oops: )

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:14 pm

My thoughts too, although there was a photo on an adelaide based cycling forum of a BB spindle (supposedly on a Preset) which hadn't quite cracked but was well on it's way. That's modern Chinese 'Quality Control' for you.

(and all good hangglider :) , many thanks again)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorized-Mo ... 2c689a4c62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:29 am

Up for sale is this brand new 80cc Repco Motorized bike which is road legal.
now that I highly doubt.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 am

thomashouseman wrote:
Up for sale is this brand new 80cc Repco Motorized bike which is road legal.
now that I highly doubt.
You just presumed he meangt road legal in Australia. :mrgreen:

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:25 am

Comedian wrote: You just presumed he meangt road legal in Australia. :mrgreen:
Very true! I did.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 am

Assuming he's telling the truth, it's bloody annoying that his local plod could be so ignorant of the laws they're supposed to be enforcing :evil: .

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 am

If it is a motor assisted bicycle, and the motor is less than 200watts it is legal.
Motor assisted pedal cycles with electric or petrol engines are exempt from registration, provided the maximum engine output power does not exceed 200 watts.  These vehicles must have been designed as a bicycle - that is, to be propelled by human power, with the motor attached as a supplementary aid only. Riders must follow the same road rules as for pedal cycles without motors, including wearing a helmet.
Google tells me that an 80cc engine will produce around 1500W, had no idea it would be that much.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:32 am

ldrcycles wrote:Assuming he's telling the truth...
I doubt even Robin Hood could draw a bow THAT long :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is my "BIG W Special" im still waiting for my quill stem and pedals with the straps. It has served me well so far. Ive had it since march and been slowly changing components on it.

So far ive changed:
Brake callipers: Tektro R539
Handbars: Drop bars and levers
Wheels: Quando Deep "v" they crap but do the trick for now
Crankset: Shun cheap ebay and BB
Seat post: 28.6mm BBB
Seat: Velo
Seat clamp:BBB

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm

sorry it wouldnt put up my pic. once i have enough posts ill put up another pic of it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm looking forward to it, keen to see how yours looks. Out of interest, what don't you like about the cheap v's? I have some on my favourite bike and while i know they are heavy and the bearings aren't very smooth i've honestly never noticed any issue with them while riding.

And the conclusion to the motorised Preset story, i contacted the seller and pointed out the issue, he seemed genuinely surprised and insisted that the plod had given him the ok but accepted the info i gave him and modified the listing.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:49 pm

slimbolik wrote:sorry it wouldnt put up my pic. once i have enough posts ill put up another pic of it.
Not a post count thing, the system doesn't regognise the syntax. There's a primer on image posting in the info section.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:07 am

ldrcycles wrote:I'm looking forward to it, keen to see how yours looks. Out of interest, what don't you like about the cheap v's? I have some on my favourite bike and while i know they are heavy and the bearings aren't very smooth i've honestly never noticed any issue with them while riding.
They look good but they are heavy (im not too worried about the weight tho) its just the bearings in mine are crap and the freewheel is not running true. i hope to get a chance to take it into my LBS in the on coming weeks.

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 am

The original stem looks aweful, hoping my new one will be here this wk.

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 am

Mulger bill wrote:
slimbolik wrote:sorry it wouldnt put up my pic. once i have enough posts ill put up another pic of it.
Thanx for that Mulger bill i figured it out finally :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:58 pm

slimbolik wrote: its just the bearings in mine are crap and the freewheel is not running true. i hope to get a chance to take it into my LBS in the on coming weeks.
The bearings may be alright with decent grease and proper adjustment (though it didn't make a big difference with mine) but the freewheels are nothing special, not as bad as the stock Repco Preset one but still not great, i've replaced mine with a Shimano MF30, much better.

I agree about the stem, but still looks good on the whole.

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

nice ill have see if my LBS has something similar to change my freewheel over. i got my strap pedals today and changed them ova. now all im waiting for is the new stem cant wait till it arrives. ill start looking for another frame to start building another bike.

slimbolik

Postby slimbolik » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 pm

got my new stem. looks so much better than the original.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Bought another Big W bike, this time a Diamondback Bronco 26" MTB for my father in law for Christmas. Went through the same pre flight checks as the Preset, the BB and headset were both dry and overtightened, the front hub was overtightened but had a decent amount of grease, and the rear hub was ok.
The brakes needed a little tweaking but work well, and the gears to my amazement were working spot on out of the box :shock: . The 'suspension' forks are predictably clunky but i've seen worse. Has an aluminium frame with a replaceable hanger and half decent welds, but it weighs a LOT. More than my Preset for sure.

It has the most upright position i've ever experienced, it takes 'sit-up-and-beg' to another level. On the whole, it looks pretty good for the price (marked down to $132 from $150).

gr8whitehuntr

Postby gr8whitehuntr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi all,
I purchased a Repco Preset last year. I intend to use it more now because I am studying full time and I need to save every cent I can... my car tends to drink like a fish and my commute is only 5km over mostly flat terrain. I've always been a single speed fan since I was a kid. I love the simplicity and I personally prefer bikes that don't have cables everywhere cluttering up the handlebars. Plus it would be near impossible to flick gear levers in winter (most mornings are below freezing) when I'm wearing thickish gloves.

Anyway I see that a lot of these bikes have problems with insufficient grease from factory and that the freewheel is not exactly good quality. Well I've got the first problem sorted, I overhauled and repacked every bearing there is, apart from the pedals which I plan to upgrade as the standard ones look and feel a bit cheap and nasty. So all that's left is the troublesome freewheel. Can anyone who has upgraded theirs please tell me what kind of freewheel I should use? Is it a 1/8" chain or 3/32"? I plan on keeping the gearing the same so I would be looking at a 16 tooth. I am assuming a special tool would be needed to change the freewheel, is this the case?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 pm

hi gr8white, you'll need to confirm the chain size yourself it's all but impossible to do on here. The freewheel will require a tool to remove it, there's a few different sorts but your local bikeshop should be able to do it for you. I've got an 18 tooth 3/32" ACS Claws freewheel and a park tools removal tool to suit that i want to sell, if you're interested just pm me otherwise i'll be putting them on ebay anyway.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 am

Go the 3/32" freewheel. It will work with 1/8" or 3/32". The tool depends on the freewheel, as Paddles said.

Mydget

Postby Mydget » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 pm

I've read every post in this thread and collected lots of good information, so I signed up, mainly to thank you all, especially LDR. :D

I'm thinking of buying either a Dunlop Armour 26" MTB or Repco Torrent 26" MTB, and yes, from Big W. :lol:

To be honest, I didn't expect too much from it, but it's mainly a project bicycle, as I'm planning to put a petrol engine kit on it. The kit actually seems easier to install than correctly (and safely) assembling a bicycle (shaped object? :lol: ) from Big W. Still, I'm a uni student on a tiny budget, so as long as the bicycle frame doesn't snap in half and I end up with a pole through my body, it should be fine... or so I think.

As I have almost no experience regarding bicycle maintenance (I have trouble changing the tire on my bicycle, though I do blame bad design for that... hehe.), I have looked up some of the things to do, such as greasing ball bearings, but if someone doesn't mind, could they give me a quick, short list on how to make an at-first pretty crappy bicycle to roll safely? Thanks again.

PS: Sorry if there's a thread for things to do to a new bike, but I basically came on the forum to read this thread, and I've typed so much already. Don't want to erase. Haha. -goes off in search of threads- A list specific to Big W's bicycles would be nice though. :lol: