Lezyne Slip Chuck

steveo

Lezyne Slip Chuck

Postby steveo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Has anyone issues keeping the slip chuck on the valve stem. Paid $100 for this German engineered pain in the back side. I get to 110 psi and it pops off the stem. Are there any clamp style alternatives?

open roader

Re: Lezyne Slip Chuck

Postby open roader » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:04 pm

I had similar issues with the rubber diaphragm on a Silca pump.

Bite the bullet / ignore the cost and get yourself a Hirame Pump Head. This is the best quality piece of bike related kit I have ever owned - beautifully designed, beautifully engineered and is a simply joy to use every time.

http://www.alexscycle.com/misc-/other/h ... rrency=GBP

3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Why don't you use the Lezyne ABS chuck? Yes, you have to thread it on, but it is well engineered and you don't have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy one.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 pm

rkelsen wrote: use the Lezyne ABS chuck?
The one that came with my Micro Floor Drive.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

steveo

Postby steveo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:57 am

open roader wrote:I had similar issues with the rubber diaphragm on a Silca pump.

Bite the bullet / ignore the cost and get yourself a Hirame Pump Head. This is the best quality piece of bike related kit I have ever owned - beautifully designed, beautifully engineered and is a simply joy to use every time.

http://www.alexscycle.com/misc-/other/h ... rrency=GBP

Will the Hirame fit on the end of the Lezyne hose or does it come complete with hose?

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:10 am

Are you using threaded or smooth valve stems?

I've had the opposite problem with threaded stems when I use the pump at the lbs. It really grabs and it feels like I am pulling a file through a hole in some rubber, cant be good for the pump chuck. (So I use his old screw on now)

Just wondering if your chucks seal could be worn because of previous use on threaded valve stems?

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am

rkelsen wrote:Why don't you use the Lezyne ABS chuck? Yes, you have to thread it on, but it is well engineered and you don't have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy one.
ummmm....with all due respect because one has to thread it on which makes the whole operation a PIA thus poorly engineered............ in my opinion.

steveo wrote:Will the Hirame fit on the end of the Lezyne hose or does it come complete with hose?
The Hirame pump head has a tapered twin diameter shank / sleeve which will fit inside most rubberised pressure hoses found on floor pumps. The head is simply held onto the hose with a small hose clamp. It's sold a a stand alone head with replacement valve seals avail.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:27 am

open roader wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Why don't you use the Lezyne ABS chuck? Yes, you have to thread it on, but it is well engineered and you don't have to take out a second mortgage on your house to buy one.
ummmm....with all due respect because one has to thread it on which makes the whole operation a PIA thus poorly engineered[/]............ in my opinion.

No, it actually works very well. It does thread on (small time penalty), but this gives a more secure seal. And see that black button on it? ABS stands for 'air bleed system' - when inflated push the button and the hose pressure is released. You can now un-screw the chuck with no air loss from the tyre.
Mandatory helmet law?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

il padrone wrote:
open roader wrote:
ummmm....with all due respect because one has to thread it on which makes the whole operation a PIA thus poorly engineered[/]............ in my opinion.

No, it actually works very well. It does thread on (small time penalty), but this gives a more secure seal. And see that black button on it? ABS stands for 'air bleed system' - when inflated push the button and the hose pressure is released. You can now un-screw the chuck with no air loss from the tyre.

+1 to ABS
works brilliantly on presta, OK on schraeder

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:39 pm

il padrone wrote:
open roader wrote:

Read and comprehend the OP. he is looking for a" clamp style alternative" - I read nothing about threaded style chucks in the OP. ................. :roll:

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 pm

tense.
my lezyne chuck doesnt have a button :( and i dont use unthreaded tubes anymore.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:21 pm

open roader wrote:Read and comprehend the OP. he is looking for a" clamp style alternative" - I read nothing about threaded style chucks in the OP. ................. :roll:

Some people manage to accept reasonable alternative suggestions and ideas in the good faith they are offered.
Mandatory helmet law?

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

il padrone wrote:
open roader wrote:Read and comprehend the OP. he is looking for a" clamp style alternative" - I read nothing about threaded style chucks in the OP. ................. :roll:

Some people manage to accept reasonable alternative suggestions and ideas in the good faith they are offered.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm

il padrone wrote:
Are you able to look him straight in the eye and say that IP?

Or is your horse a little taller....... :lol: :wink:

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Slip chucks have never been my favourite. They all pop off, eventually. Their biggest use is for situations where access to the stem is restricted. The screw on Lezyne flip chuck gets my votes.
Last edited by ball bearing on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveo

Postby steveo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:48 pm

bosvit wrote:Are you using threaded or smooth valve stems?

I've had the opposite problem with threaded stems when I use the pump at the lbs. It really grabs and it feels like I am pulling a file through a hole in some rubber, cant be good for the pump chuck. (So I use his old screw on now)

Just wondering if your chucks seal could be worn because of previous use on threaded valve stems?
I use smooth stems.