Going numb! Part the 2nd

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
JessicaAlba

Going numb! Part the 2nd

Postby JessicaAlba » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Since acquiring my Felt, I've noticed a couple of occasions where I'm getting a very tingly/numb feeling "down there".

For the most part, this bike is uber-comfortable and smooth to ride, but clearly this is not normal, so what can be done about it? I am currently on the standard Felt saddle, but thinking to swap the Riva+ off my Specialized as an experiment. Is there a method to swapping saddles to retain geometry? Would I be better off just adjusting the current saddle forward or aft to combat the problem?

Any other thoughts on how to deal with numb nuts? Thanks :)
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

winstonw

Re: Going numb! Part the 2nd

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:27 pm

You have nuts Jessica?

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Providing the Riva+ saddle has not caused the same problems on the other bike, I would definitely swap it across to the Felt.

Take an accurate measurement from the centre top of the existing saddle to the centre of the crank and fit your other saddle to the same measurements.

Also take note of the fore and aft position of the current saddle in relation to the seat post, and try and get your other saddle as close to the same spot as possible.

At least then you will know if it is your current saddle that is causing the problem or the bike fit.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 am

There's an Addendum on swapping saddles in Steve Hogg's article on SMPs. http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JessicaAlba

Postby JessicaAlba » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:26 pm

That is a good read.

And having now gotten through it...I'm kinda keen on the idea of the SMP saddles. Don't look particularly cheap, but certainly very functional and effective.

Anyone else had experience with these??

((AT) winstonw...yup, you'd be surprised...massive huge kahunas, have I!) :lol:
Felt F2/DuraAce/FSA/DA C35s/Gatorskins

2014 Scott Addict Team Issue/DA9000/Syncros RL1.1/Zipp 404/Gatorskins

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm an SMP rider. I was having issues, and an SMP saddle cured all. I know there are differences, but SMP believe that men and women are actually quite similar in their needs for a saddle.

Have a look on Steve Hoggs site for these articles too. Very good.

Sensitive issues Part 1

Sensitive issues Part 2

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Swap the other seat first and try it.Saddles are personal I tried several models of smp and hated them.
Settled on a Pro logo scratch pro nack most shops have try buy saddles give a few a go, numb bits are a big warning something its not right.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:43 pm

Comedian wrote:I'm an SMP rider. I was having issues, and an SMP saddle cured all.
Me too, and +1. With the stock saddle I'd get numbness and I'd have to stand on the pedals to allow blood to get back to the legs. I recently swapped it out for an SMP TRK, which is one of the cheaper models in the range. Total time to get used to the new saddle: about 2 seconds.

Saddle numbness just never occurs any more, which allows me to concentrate on the pain from other parts of my body. :roll:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:07 pm

My mate rides a crappy little MNongoose that doesn't fit him and was complaining about a "numb knob" that started happening after 20 or 30 minutes.
One day I turned-up with my Giant flat bar and told him to ride that (he's my size and build). After about an hour on the road I casually asked about his comfort levels. He was just all smiles.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Dan's Avanti

Postby Dan's Avanti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I recently dropped my bike and damaged the stock saddle. The bike is 3 years old. I would get numbness every time I rode for more than an hour or so. I never realised the saddle was causing me numbness - just thought it was normal, until I purchased the replacement.
By being measured (sit on a 'measuring pad') then buying the right size saddle, the new saddle has cured my numbness. Same as Howzat, new saddle was great on the first ride.

I am sure there are differences saddle to saddle but I suspect the fit was the more important part.