Mudguards on this frame. Doable?

Crawf

Mudguards on this frame. Doable?

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 pm

I thought this would find a more experienced and appropriate audience in here rather than the shed.

Basically I commute daily on CX disc frame which has no eyelets or mounting points, its a great frame but it's lacking in this area and obviously wasn't designed for this but I'd still like to have a crack.

I'm looking for tips, sites, photo's on how I can overcome the lack of front/rear brake bridge holes to mount some good ole P35's. RaceBlades or similar are not what I want.
I've managed to research a way to get on a rear rack with adapters and add-on brackets, but turned up nothing for mudguards...

Thanks for any help.

Crawf

Re: Mudguards on this frame. Doable?

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Ok pretty much got my head around how to do all this except for one bit, and that's how to mount the front guard to the fork crown with no eyelet and the huge clearance?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 pm

OTOMH zip ties front and rear of mudguard then looping two other ties under those and tying them up on the fork crown shoulders? Or if you want to drill the guard, loop the zip ties through the holes and do up over the fork crown shoulders perhaps.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Crawf wrote:Ok pretty much got my head around how to do all this except for one bit, and that's how to mount the front guard to the fork crown with no eyelet and the huge clearance?

that front wheel doesn't look right...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Yep, cable-ties are your friend in this situation. Drill a few suitable holes in the guards to feed the cable-ties through at the appropriate locations and run them around your seat-stays, fork blades etc.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 pm

I've seen front guards for MTBs that mount via a bung in the bottom of the steerer, maybe think along those lines? I reckon you might be able to MacGyver something around THIS.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Just checked the fork again, unfortunately there is no hole even on the underside. But you have got me thinking that I should be able to bond something underneath the crown.

Ideas on a bonding agent to carbon and a mount part?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:53 am

Bum.

No idea about a bonding agent, wouldn't want something that might degrade the existing resin. I s'pose it'd be some sort of epoxy? A 1x1 hole angle bracket would probably do the job as the mount.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011