Changed wheels and now a new clicking/Clunk sound

GasCyclist

Changed wheels and now a new clicking/Clunk sound

Postby GasCyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:02 am

Hey Guys,

Changed my stock wheels over to new Pro Lites. Now I am getting a noise when I stand up and put some power/pedal hard.

No noise while coasting or anything. Was thinking BB but the noise was not there before.

Something must have been affected when I changed the wheels over.... Any ideas? If more info needed just let me know what you need and I'll answer. Very strange.

Joys of Cycling!!!
Trek 1.5, Cannondale Supersix, Specialized Langster

ball bearing

Re: Changed wheels and now a new clicking/Clunk sound

Postby ball bearing » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 am

Put the old wheels back on to eliminate them as a possible noise source. If the noise is still there then check the drivetrain for and loose bits.

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:42 pm

Wheels are silent from what I can tell. Noise is when I decide to stand and accelerate up a hill or want to pick up speed. So doubt it's wheels, may check the drivetrain tonight and remove/put on wheels again and lubricate the chain.

I just thought this could would be a common thing, called the bike shop and said they would strip the bike down and reinstall everything for $180.... Kind of an extreme measure I think.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 pm

Did you check the derailleur alignment after swapping wheels?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jbm

Postby jbm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:05 pm

If you have a speed sensor on your spokes check that it is not too close to the pickup. Sometimes the wheel flex can make it touch if it is too close.

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:25 pm

twizzle wrote:Did you check the derailleur alignment after swapping wheels?

As a matter of fact I did notice when I went for a ride yesterday the gear changing was a little off. What should I be looking for re: derailleur misalignment?

Can you knock off the alignment after a wheel swap?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:45 pm

GasCyclist wrote:

As a matter of fact I did notice when I went for a ride yesterday the gear changing was a little off. What should I be looking for re: derailleur misalignment?

The cassette positioning on each freehub body of each rear wheel may be slightly different, this would need re-alignment of the derailleur ever so slightly if that's the cause of the issue.
Twist the barrel adjuster on the derailleur to realign, remember to count the notch turns in case you make it worse, so you can reverse it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Crawf wrote:
GasCyclist wrote:

The cassette positioning on each freehub body of each rear wheel may be slightly different, this would need re-alignment of the derailleur ever so slightly if that's the cause of the issue.
Twist the barrel adjuster on the derailleur to realign, remember to count the notch turns in case you make it worse, so you can reverse it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Makes sense. Will try and follow that YouTube clip. I guess worse case scenario it's off for a service anyways.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Did you remember to fit the thin shimano washer onto the free hub?

Sounds silly. But...

Apart from the noise what are your first impressions on the new wheels?
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Assuming this is indeed wheelset related: does that sound like brake rub? It could also be the spokes "setting" in. Are the wheels still in true?

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Stupid dodgy workstand broke! So trying to adjust gears will be not fun. Might have to get a decent one as I want to save $$$ and start doing maintenance myself.

Might have to call Bike shop for a quick gear alignment.

Wheels are true and silent. Noise is when I pedal with force and stand up on the bike... Also the gears are a little out of whack it seems from the wheel change.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:44 pm

FWIW - I had to adjust - slightly - my RD stop screws and cable tension after putting on my new Comos with new cassette, as they were slightly out of adjustment compared to the old rim / cassette I had on the bike.

That may be the extent of your woes.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:43 pm

GasCyclist wrote:Might have to call Bike shop for a quick gear alignment.
Watch the video. If you feel confident, have a go. It's a heck of a lot easier than it looks, but if you screw it up and put the chain in to the wheel or the frame, it's an unhappy time... but this is usually done by over-confident people who think they know what they are doing.

You will need to back off the limit screws a couple of turns first, get the indexing right, then reset the limit screws. It takes about two minutes if you have done it before.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Try tightening the QR. This happened to me too...only clicked under load after a wheel change. tightened everything, tried a different BB...still that damn clicking. Laughed when i did up the QR and then all was good!

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:04 am

Just an update re the noise. Took it to my LBS checked the bike over completely including gear alignment and supposedly it's my Bottom Bracket which needs a quick service. A common problem supposedly, mind boggling how this just happened now when I changed my wheel.

So getting that done on Monday as it was too late last night.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 am

GasCyclist wrote:Just an update re the noise. Took it to my LBS checked the bike over completely including gear alignment and supposedly it's my Bottom Bracket which needs a quick service. A common problem supposedly, mind boggling how this just happened now when I changed my wheel.

As soon as you step foot out of the LBS, get on the bike and give it a good cranking test.

GasCyclist

Postby GasCyclist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:59 am

Crawf wrote:
GasCyclist wrote:Just an update re the noise. Took it to my LBS checked the bike over completely including gear alignment and supposedly it's my Bottom Bracket which needs a quick service. A common problem supposedly, mind boggling how this just happened now when I changed my wheel.

As soon as you step foot out of the LBS, get on the bike and give it a good cranking test.
Yeah will do. The LBS does lots of work on the bikes from my local cycling group so good person. Didn't charge me a cent to diagnose.