Fast food is bad for you !

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Le Velo

Fast food is bad for you !

Postby Le Velo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Ok, I don't usually eat much take away processed foods but today I worked for a few hours then a friend called me to see if I wanted to hook up for a MTB ride. dEcided to take the offer as I didn't ride yesterday and today due to weather.
As I only had an hour to get back home, ready and go to the meeting point and it was lunch time I excised to grab a drive Mcburger and oh boy ! When I got on the bike I could feel my stomach rumbling, started to get cold sweat and felt like I was going to vomit. That sickness feeling went on for about an hour or so and my cardio was through the roof. Could not bring it down and was struggling ...l felt like I had overdose on sugar or similar.
My eating is very much healthy and ride an average or 400-500km per week and consider myself very fit for my age (37)
I am confident that the cause of today's feeling was due to the poor choice of eating option for my lunch today however will monitor my cycling performances this week to ensure that nothing else is underlying but once thing I'm sure is that I won't be going to Mc crap anytime soon ....

DoogleDave

Re: Fast food is bad for you !

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:26 pm

McHappy Day was yesterday....not today.
You were one day too late....LOL

I don't eat much Maccas either and when I do it tastes so good at the time but 15 minutes later I feel worse off and it re-affirms the reason why I don't have it more often.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

I decided about five years ago to stop eating fast food and I can honestly say there has not been one day I have missed it.
Even the smell of McDonald's makes me feel sick now.
Can't believe some people eat the stuff regularly.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

On a lighter note why do the french eat snails?
Because they dont like fast food 8)
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 pm

My opinion is that it is a matter of what your body is used to (like the episode of The Simpsons where Lisa fed the family fresh food and they felt sick), being a young bloke i eat fast food fairly often and my usual pre race breakfast is a couple of bacon and egg mcmuffins. If you look at a Big Mac for example, bread, meat, lettuce, pickles, i think onions, if it was coming from anywhere other than Macdonalds people wouldn't think it especially unhealthy. Yes i've seen Supersize Me but i think the real lesson there is having some variety in your diet, not eating the same thing all the time (and especially not having Coke with every meal).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 pm

MacDonalds and all it's similar themed brethren are shite. The food they produce has got to be the most bland tasting crap I have ever eaten.

Life is to short to eat shite tasting fast food. There are so many other choices for better tasting and healthier fast food.

My family had noodles for dinner tonight. In the time it took me to pull into the noodle shop, order, wait and leave the same cars were still queued up at the KFC up the road. I know which one tasted better.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Maybe it was a left over from mchappy day ! Doh !

I think you are right it might be what the body is used to and definitely not that.

We don't feed that stuff to our daughter and glady she never asks for it and will never give it to her either.

I can thoroughly say I much enjoyed my dinner wich was fresh grilled prawns with a rocket salad, cherry tomatoes, walnuts and a balsamic and olive oil dressing with a lemon zest..... Fresh, healthy and tasty.

I was just amazed on how bad and nasty that stuff is ! Just the thought of it makes me sick ...., bbbrrrr

Stay fit, eat healthy and ride safe everyone !

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Not all fast food is bad. A felafel kebab - wholemeal leb bread, houmus, felafel, salad = YUM! Being vegan narrows your choices, but opens your eyes.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

[quote="bigfriendlyvegan"Being vegan narrows your choices, but opens your eyes.[/quote]
I believe that the opposite is true. Being vegan makes you realise how many yummy options there are.

It is depressing to see so many people I know make themselves sick with food.

Forks over Knives...

http://www.movie2k.to/movie-950706-Fork ... nives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:55 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:Not all fast food is bad. A felafel kebab - wholemeal leb bread, houmus, felafel, salad = YUM! Being vegan narrows your choices, but opens your eyes.
Agreed some fast food aren't too bad .... I guess the point is more of the processed stuff with fats, sugars, preservatives, etc .... I sure dig a fresh tasty kebab :D

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I love McDonald's, but try to eat it only on drunken binges!

I do my best to stick to 'whole' foods. Avoid processed stuff. I don't live my life by it, just use it as a rule of thumb.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm

I prefer hungry jacks... Can usually count on it to help clear the bowels.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Kenzo wrote:I prefer hungry jacks... Can usually count on it to help clear the bowels.

I like HJ too, and kfc...
Both not healty but hey, I only live once... 8)
Nando's is not to bad either..., just dont eat the spicey sauce, think of the rider behind you, lol....

But macca's I can not stand/tolerate.
I refuse to go in there, as I dont like the after effects either.
That stuff should be illegal...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

I eat Maccas whenever I feel like it. Sometimes a few times a week. Plus the usual fish n chips, dim sims etc as snacks.

It does't bother me, it would have a bit to do with how much you eat in a sitting and maybe being used to it.

You can judge me if you have a lower bodyfat than me. And then I will just ignore you anyway :P

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Noodle Haven or Cheeky Kebabs look after my fast food needs.

Still no faster than a cheese omelette tho...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 pm

OMGosh. Who'd have thunk it :shock: :shock:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 pm

Whatever rubbish I eat, I am always aware that it has to be worked off sometime soon. Same goes for lollies, fish and chips, BBQ's alcohol, etc etc.

About the only thing I ever found that I liked enough to make a trip to Maccas was the "big breakfast". And even that has since changed into something less attractive than it used to be anyway.

I do eat junk. And have always been partial to Hungry Jacks. But the need to work it off keeps me in check, as it does with all manner of food. That and an awareness of my families propensity for diabetes. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:58 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Whatever rubbish I eat, I am always aware that it has to be worked off sometime soon.
That's the thing, when i was younger i ate about 3 times what i do now, maccas probably 3 or 4 times a week, battered savs, chicken alfredo, anything that would stay still long enough for me to get my teeth into it. But i rode, climbed mountains and played squash at least 3 times a week, so never put on an ounce of weight.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

ldrcycles wrote:my usual pre race breakfast is a couple of bacon and egg mcmuffins.
Bacon & Egg McMuffins really aren't that much worse than home cooked B&E on toast. The muffins are those tip top ones you buy from the super market, the rasher is short cut bacon, and the egg is... well, an egg. There is a slice of cheese and they spray the muffin with a little bit of buttery oil stuff.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:05 pm

But it's from Macdonalds, they are evil and all their food is poison! Haven't you been listening? :twisted: .

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:24 pm

Missed that, hahahha

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 pm

ldrcycles wrote:But it's from Macdonalds, they are evil and all their food is poison! Haven't you been listening? :twisted: .
+1

I concur that the ingestion of fatty food Sunday would've been the cause of my struggle on the bike. Despite the heavy sweating (Which I don't usually), the sickness, light headed, the cardio was an indication that things weren't right ..... High average and high max with no chance for a recovery.
I went out yesterday and all was back in order ...... cruising at 40kph+ and the heart sitting around 135-140 ..... much better and staying clear from this poison

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Le Velo wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:But it's from Macdonalds, they are evil and all their food is poison! Haven't you been listening? :twisted: .
+1

I concur that the ingestion of fatty food Sunday would've been the cause of my struggle on the bike. Despite the heavy sweating (Which I don't usually), the sickness, light headed, the cardio was an indication that things weren't right ..... High average and high max with no chance for a recovery.
I went out yesterday and all was back in order ...... cruising at 40kph+ and the heart sitting around 135-140 ..... much better and staying clear from this poison
You missed the /sarcasm from ldrcycles bud

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Whatever rubbish I eat, I am always aware that it has to be worked off sometime soon.
That's the thing, when i was younger i ate about 3 times what i do now, maccas probably 3 or 4 times a week, battered savs, chicken alfredo, anything that would stay still long enough for me to get my teeth into it. But i rode, climbed mountains and played squash at least 3 times a week, so never put on an ounce of weight.
It's not just the large amount of calories in junk food that is bad for you - as you say, that can often be worked off by increased exercise. However, it's more difficult to get rid of the excessive amounts of fats and salts from your system, particularly as you get older. I have always considered myself a fit and healthy person, but have noticed a steady increase in my cholesterol over the past few years. I had always put this down to a family history of high cholesterol, but my GP told me that your body's ability to process fats is reduced as you get older, and suggested I change my eating habits, by reducing the amount of red meat, processed foods and fats from my diet.

The good news is ... my cholesterol has been halved in 12 months, and is now within normal levels. I have also lost 8 kilos during that time, and my cycling has improved. The bad news is ... just one meal from your average fast food outlet provides more than your daily requirements of fats and salts.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Sweeper59 wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
It's not just the large amount of calories in junk food that is bad for you.
As I am motivated by the realisation that I have to work it off I reduce my eating of macca's. After taht the rest is moot.

But granted, there are other issues aside from calories and weight. (Though if someone mentions those new-fangled "toxins" I may very well have a spike in BP regardless of my health. :x )
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle