How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gretaboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 am

Jasonc - not good news, seriously do hope it gets better for you sooner than later

Ride in this morning was uneventful..thankfully. Was cold tho, going down my hill at the start of the ride certainly had me speaking in a much higher voice. Cold start but the day is supposed to get to 30, so maybe a hot ride home and looks like strong head winds too going by forecast.

Put my basket back on the bike over the weekend, had to do some panel beating on it as it got crushed somewhat from my last bike accident. Lower back is hurting too much from the weight of the laptop and food, so hopefully the basket will improve things...and I wont crash again lol

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:03 am

TailWind wrote: Reached my target commuting mileage for the year with this morning's ride - 12000km - and there are still 6 weeks or so of commuting left this year :D .
Welll done TW.. I also reached my target this morning...10 k, might try and push for 12 k, hopefully the bike gods will look down on me kindly

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 am

gretaboy wrote: Welll done TW.. I also reached my target this morning...10 k, might try and push for 12 k, hopefully the bike gods will look down on me kindly
Thanks gretaboy, likewise congrats on your 10k...here's to hoping the remainder of the year is smooth sailing, err, cycling, for all of us!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Tommi

Postby Tommi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am

No commuting for me this morning. Last night whilst preparing the bike for today, I noticed a huge slash in the tyre. Off to the LBS at lunch for a new tyre and hopefully back to riding tomorrow.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote:physio update: no riding. back there next Wednesday to probably be told I still can't ride. I don't do things by halves...
this will be the longest break off the bike I've had since last year some time.
That sucks, sorry to hear.
On the other hand, you're having a break from the mayhem happening on the roads at the moment.

Riding home yesterday through a rather large traffic circle in Mill Park, no traffic except one car approaching the circle from the 9 o'clock exit from my perspective. I'm already in the circle going straight through , crossing the 9 o'clock exit/entrance, the car keeps on coming. I look at the driver - she's fiddling with something on the passenger seat, not looking to her right for traffic. Nearly cleaned me up. I yell loudly, she finally sees me and floors it through the circle.
Not sure why drivers are trying to hasten my extinction at the moment.

After a year of only a few mild incidents, the last few weeks have felt like a fight for survival.

Are other Melbourne riders out there noticing a serious decline in driving ability in the last few weeks?
maybe the warmer weather is bringing them out of hybernation. more logically, sun is up earlier so people are more likely to start work earlier and therefore finish work earlier. resulting in me seeing them more often... (maybe the same for you)

have checked my google spreadsheets and my biggest break this year has been 9 days. I think I'm going to beat that. Last time I beat that was november last year - 11 days. that's looking beat able too at the moment...
No good mate!

I just ambled in today.

As per usual ill be picking the kids up from school today. However for the first time ever we will all be riding home. :)

My six year old has only just got good enough on his bike to ride the tragically tortuous 1.5 k of narrow and broken footpath home.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Comedian wrote:As per usual ill be picking the kids up from school today. However for the first time ever we will all be riding home. :)

My six year old has only just got good enough on his bike to ride the tragically tortuous 1.5 k of narrow and broken footpath home.
my 4 year old can already ride ~2kms...with training wheels on some of the worst "footpaths" I've ever walked on. only thing is we can see her primary school over the back fence...

am feeling better every day. the exercises and massages and hurt less every day too. so i'm improving. I just want to ride to work dag nam it. it's torcher going along the western fwy watching all the bikes in the morning :evil:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:25 pm

jasonc wrote:
Comedian wrote:As per usual ill be picking the kids up from school today. However for the first time ever we will all be riding home. :)

my 4 year old can already ride ~2kms...with training wheels on some of the worst "footpaths" I've ever walked on. only thing is we can see her primary school over the back fence...
That's great about being close to school. Our problem is not only are out footpaths bumpy and broken but they are also angular. So, riding with trainer wheels and they just tip over ... :evil:

I did the run today though. Went well. 6 roads to cross in 1.3k and the showtime footpaths. Still... it's good for them. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 am

Uneventful rides yesterday afternoon and this morning. Chilly this morning though.
Picking up the Soma this afternoon! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 am

Ride home yesterday was uneventful..until...one of my water cages, metal, decided to snap off as I was going up a tiny hill. Felt something hit my legs, looked down and saw the water bottle had come loose. As I tried to stop and not crash/fall over at the same time the water bottle fell into the chain area. Was just so glad it didnt happen on the narrow death defying parts of my ride, could have been a bad outcome otherwise.

Ride in this morning was ok until about 15 k's from the office. Then the winds picked up, was like riding through sand. Just got to hope the winds stay strong and in the same direction to help my ride home this arvo

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 am

gretaboy wrote:Ride home yesterday was uneventful..until...one of my water cages, metal, decided to snap off as I was going up a tiny hill. Felt something hit my legs, looked down and saw the water bottle had come loose. As I tried to stop and not crash/fall over at the same time the water bottle fell into the chain area. Was just so glad it didnt happen on the narrow death defying parts of my ride, could have been a bad outcome otherwise.
I remember jan 2010 - i had a plastic bottle cage melt/snap off on the way home after sitting in the sun all day (also delaminated the front tyre - so it was HOT)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

Lovely morning in bne. Bracing to start. Lovely riverloop too... A bit slower than usual. :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:

That's great about being close to school. Our problem is not only are out footpaths bumpy and broken but they are also angular. So, riding with trainer wheels and they just tip over ... :evil:

I did the run today though. Went well. 6 roads to cross in 1.3k and the showtime footpaths. Still... it's good for them. :)
Have you set up the strava segment yet ? :D

Might have to move further from the school by the time my little boy is ready - a 100 m cycle to school doesn't really seem worth it. All up another pleasant and non-eventful commute in today, yesterday & last week. Long may they continue

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Comedian wrote:Lovely riverloop too... A bit slower than usual. :)
yeh - 35km/h rather than 37km/h :roll:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Moderate headwind already in effect when I headed out, otherwise nice and warm. School's back in, yay, so my very favourite roundabout had returned to its usual cluster status, all sole occupants, a substantial minority texting like teenage girls, yah boo sucks in particular to the blue Ford Focus & his carefully considered decision not to give way after braking momentarily, looking me in the face and deciding I didn't matter after all. Yeah, you have a nice day too, ya prick :D

Office move is likely in the next few weeks, so I just got 2 years' worth of tyre marks off my office wall effortlessly with dis thang. And I just told all of you that for free!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
Well the particular riverloop segment we use was 36.7 rather than 37.9... So a good k down. ;)

I keep getting killed on dead mans full gas and then dumped on highgate hill. :(

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Had quite a bit of wind whilst coming to work this morning. It looks though as it'll be a full on head-wind of 35km/h on the way back. No thanks to whoever is responsible for that! :P

ray

Postby ray » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Comedian wrote:Lovely morning in bne. Bracing to start. Lovely riverloop too... A bit slower than usual. :)
It sure was. Second week riding to work after take a 2 month break from commuting to work. So unfit - average heartrate over 166bpm. Back before the break my average was around 130/140bpm. Finally did some long overdue maintenance on my commuter bike late last night so I could use my rack and pannier again (2 hours to get the bottom bracket off to change cranks from triple to double, a hour to tune the FD to my liking and replaced the brake pads as the last time I used it in heavy rain alu shards in the pads and heavily worn - changed stock pads to swiss stop green hopefully they will be better). Just can't get use to a backpack as I tend to carry the kitchen sink around. Felt like a tank compared to the single speed I was using last week! Good training.

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
You did well to keep your balance going so slow :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote:
found something to help you comedian

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:43 am

jasonc wrote:
Marto wrote:
jasonc wrote: yeh - 35km/h rather than 37km/h :roll:
found something to help you comedian
LOL you two! :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 am

Comedian wrote:LOL you two! :mrgreen:
hopefully I get good news tonight and can stop annoying everyone

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am

Picked up the Soma yesterday afternoon and rode to Eaglemont village to meet up with the wife. Noticed that under load on left pedal down, the right crank contacted the chainstay - not enough clearance. Back to the LBS for some spacers - with the clearance sorted out, the problem went away and I happily rode on home. One knock-on problem is that the chain now rubs the front derailleur when using the smaller gears. Will check out the H limit today.
Other than that, the Soma feels great, smooth ride.
Ride in this morning was good, bit of a headwind and cool and extra-enjoyable on the new bike.
A couple pix of the bike after it's maiden commute to work this morning.

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:23 am

Hurray! No wind this morning!!! :D

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:51 am

Overcast with very black clouds...was sure I was going to get rained on this morning but luckily for me it was a dry ride

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 am

TailWind wrote:Picked up the Soma yesterday afternoon and rode to Eaglemont village to meet up with the wife. Noticed that under load on left pedal down, the right crank contacted the chainstay - not enough clearance. Back to the LBS for some spacers - with the clearance sorted out, the problem went away and I happily rode on home. One knock-on problem is that the chain now rubs the front derailleur when using the smaller gears. Will check out the H limit today.
Other than that, the Soma feels great, smooth ride.
Ride in this morning was good, bit of a headwind and cool and extra-enjoyable on the new bike.
A couple pix of the bike after it's maiden commute to work this morning.
Bigger pics man!