Mawson trail compared to Munda Biddi trail?

jemo27

Mawson trail compared to Munda Biddi trail?

Postby jemo27 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:38 pm

recently I cycled most of the Mawson Trail, in particular north of Quorn but also sections between Melrose and Clare.

I found that the trail was well signed and easy to follow on the map. However, I found some of the trail surface and gradient was unsuitable for cycle touring. It also took some silly detours zig zagging which got frustrating after a few days.

I'm looking at cycling the Munda Biddi trail next Autumn and am wondering how it compares to the Mawson trail?

from what I have seen on the http://www.mundabiddi.org.au/ website it appears it is more set up for touring cyclist with campsites set up for you and the trail is on a dedicated cycle path rather than just connecting dirt roads like the Mawson did. is this correct?

thanks

GJ_Coop

Re: Mawson trail compared to Munda Biddi trail?

Postby GJ_Coop » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 pm

The Munda Biddi isn't a bike touring track.

It's a super fun roller coaster of a ride, mountain bike territory, lot of sensational single track, in the north part on laterite tracks, that's pea gravel.

Big time effort, big time reward.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Better to add to an existing thread than start a new one :shock: :shock:

From the pictures I can find the Munda Biddi trail looks like well groomed gravel path. Do you really need a mountain bike to ride it or would a CX bike be OK?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:36 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:From the pictures I can find the Munda Biddi trail looks like well groomed gravel path. Do you really need a mountain bike to ride it or would a CX bike be OK?
I don't recall to much well groomed gravel path ... the problem is too much fun is being had on the single track to take photos :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rDYeWfRXFI&hd=1[/youtube]

I have ridden a little bit on Surly Long Haul Trucker and I don't consider it my first choice of bike for the Munda Biddi but it could be done on a touring bike and has been done. There are nice sections of fast single-track, there are touring routes and there are gravel roads/tracks/railway forms. It is a mix reflective of the Darling Ranges.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

and a 12 sec grab of some single track ...

and some more south of Nannup by the looks

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaybD11l6vc&hd=1&t=1m54s[/youtube]

Andrew

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:52 pm

having ridden sections of the munda biddi most weekends around kalamunda, i reckon a CX would be pushing it - i wouldn't want to be tackling it on anything less than a MTB!

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 am

Sad you didn't enjoy the wiggly woggly path of the Mawson, that's really the whole charm of the Trail getting those views and getting out remote. The Mawson isn't an A to B trail. Generally the surface is quite rideable for a 1.75" tyre.

The Munda Biddi is quite different from the Mawson. It's much more of an effort, particularly in the north, much steeper, and the surface is perilous at times.

On the MB there are some short sections on unsealed roads but much of it is fire trail style riding and those occasional few fun ks of single track. The gravel is pea gravel ie, really slippery to ride on, you need to have wide knobbly tires, 2" would be a minimum recommended. The "touring route" alternative is hard enough work, the other track is really for full suspension bikes with 2.5" tyres without any load unless you are a real thrill seeker. It's steep and the track is really slippery.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

I really enjoyed the Mawson and was planning on doing it again next year ( with BikeSA) but looks like I am doing the MB instead Munda Biddi Epic 1000.

alanm

Postby alanm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Coops has the MB nailed, I've done it twice.

Al

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

I was under the impression that the Munda Biddi trail was using former railway lines for a lot of its lenght, therefore presumably following a gradient that a train would have taken.

The best day I had on the Mawson trail was the Riesling rail trail between Clare and Riverton. I found that gradient was much more suitable for cycling compared to other section which went straight over the top of hills, some nice views but hard work climbing on steep, rocky surfaces.

I just found in some places the Mawson trail was unrideable for people carrying luggage.

I enjoyed the section north of Wilpena along the fire trail, one of the most scenic days I had cycling.

the worse place was north of Hawker, where I pushed my loaded bicycle up a hill on a stone surface. would be dangerous coming down the same section.

this is what I experienced, others have different experiences and expectations.

My ideal day is cycling on rail trails with no traffic to worry about and a comforable gradient for climbing.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:58 pm

jemo27 wrote:The best day I had on the Mawson trail was the Riesling rail trail between Clare and Riverton. I found that gradient was much more suitable for cycling compared to other section which went straight over the top of hills, some nice views but hard work climbing on steep, rocky surfaces
Best day's riding I had on the Mawson Trail was the Wilpena to Middlesight Water Hut ride. Other excellent days were Mt Bryan East school to Spalding, Burra to Newickie Creek, and Crawford Forest to Tanunda.
jemo27 wrote:I just found in some places the Mawson trail was unrideable for people carrying luggage.

We didn't ride all of the Mawson Trail - several days we stuck to parallel sealed roads due to wet conditions. Some of the dirt road surfaces can become seriously impassable in the wet and are best avoided then. The section north of Hawker nearly brought us unstuck completely due to horrible sticky mud. :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:47 pm

jemo27 wrote:I was under the impression that the Munda Biddi trail was using former railway lines for a lot of its lenght, therefore presumably following a gradient that a train would have taken.
I don't where you could have got such an impression. As far as I know the only rail trail section, at least between Mundaring and Nannup is where it becomes the Siding Trail heading into Nannup. Coming out of Mundaring for example is no rail trail that is for sure.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Bits of old rail from Wungong to Jarrahdale
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:23 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Bits of old rail from Wungong to Jarrahdale
Sure they use some "forms" in that area but hardly enough to call it a rail trail I would have thought. There is a lot of climbing and single track to be had either side.

Andrew

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:07 am

Aushiker wrote:
jemo27 wrote:I was under the impression that the Munda Biddi trail was using former railway lines for a lot of its lenght, therefore presumably following a gradient that a train would have taken.
I don't where you could have got such an impression. As far as I know the only rail trail section, at least between Mundaring and Nannup is where it becomes the Siding Trail heading into Nannup. Coming out of Mundaring for example is no rail trail that is for sure.

Andrew
From the rail trails page, it has the MB trail on it,

It does mention steep sections between rail trails.

I stand corrected