A tale

Creakyknees

A tale

Postby Creakyknees » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would tell all about an incident that occurred a few months ago on the Kwinana PSP in Perth.
I was involved in an accident when 4 riders in 2X2 formation got a bit too close and one clipped my handle bars ( I was heading north, they were heading south). After that it gets a bit fuzzy.
I woke up in ambulance with a broken arm, smashed knee and quite a bit of nasty road rash. I was very lucky that I was wearing a helmet, as there was a 2cm gash along one side (from a rock maybe), this would most likely have killed me. (not advocating for helmets, it is just what happened).

The riders that caused the accident had no insurance at all, no third party, or anything, leaving me a substantial medical bill. As such I can’t comment too much on what happened as it will be before the courts.

I am finally back on the bike, (and a card carrying member of the helmet cam club now), but am a bit concerned at the number of people who ride 2 X2 on the PSP. Perhaps I am gettng cranky in my old age, but a few times I have said "single file on the path please" only to be told to f**k off.

I think it is sad that we try so hard to be taken seriously as road users, but there are those cycling brothers and sisters out there that have the similar attitudes and perhaps ignorance, as the motorists that abuse us for being on the road.

Any way that is my story, just though I would share it.

Cheers
Jake

ldrcycles

Re: A tale

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm

That sounds really nasty, hopefully you end up with a satisfactory outcome.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 am

It does sound nasty.

Thanks for sharing your tale. It might give some of us something to think about.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:29 am

Thanks for sharing. I don't know how wide a PSP is but I would normally consider most paths as not suitable for cycling two abreast and passing others. A meter matters (at least) this should be the same for cycling on bike paths. Unfortunately the cycling scene is often dominated by speed and bunch riding. These don't endear themselves to safety especially on a path or PSP.

I do feel somewhat exasperated on the number on incidents I read about on these forums. It certainly doesn't mesh with my personal perception, experience nor my discussion with my peers.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am

human909 wrote: I do feel somewhat exasperated on the number on incidents I read about on these forums. It certainly doesn't mesh with my personal perception, experience nor my discussion with my peers.
This is a good point, and the main reason why I don't publish videos of bad riding/driving that I see. I think to myself, right, if I publish this video, I should compliment it with a video that shows how good riding is usually. But it's almost always good, so I don't bother.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 am

Creakyknees wrote:Hi Everyone,
Just thought I would tell all about an incident that occurred a few months ago on the Kwinana PSP in Perth.
I was involved in an accident when 4 riders in 2X2 formation got a bit too close and one clipped my handle bars ( I was heading north, they were heading south). After that it gets a bit fuzzy.
I woke up in ambulance with a broken arm, smashed knee and quite a bit of nasty road rash. I was very lucky that I was wearing a helmet, as there was a 2cm gash along one side (from a rock maybe), this would most likely have killed me. (not advocating for helmets, it is just what happened).

The riders that caused the accident had no insurance at all, no third party, or anything, leaving me a substantial medical bill. As such I can’t comment too much on what happened as it will be before the courts.

I am finally back on the bike, (and a card carrying member of the helmet cam club now), but am a bit concerned at the number of people who ride 2 X2 on the PSP. Perhaps I am gettng cranky in my old age, but a few times I have said "single file on the path please" only to be told to f**k off.

I think it is sad that we try so hard to be taken seriously as road users, but there are those cycling brothers and sisters out there that have the similar attitudes and perhaps ignorance, as the motorists that abuse us for being on the road.

Any way that is my story, just though I would share it.

Cheers
Jake
Hell. Sorry to hear about your accident Jake. Not a fun experience being injured like that. I hope you get a full payment for all the damages and lost income from these clowns. I'm honestly more concerned about my safety during peak hour on the shared paths with all these high speed roadies than I am on the road with cars. Had a prang the other week after a guy ran into the back of me because he was too fast and close behind me in an area with lots of peds.. I had to slow down (not slam the brake on) for some joggers and nek minute.. broken spokes and bend wheel! Lucky that's all it was. I don't mind people drafting, but please do it when the road is open not in a busy place. I don't care much for helmets, especially when I am on big open roads touring, but I actually am happy to wear one on the cycle paths around the city as there are so many idiots around collisions are inevitable.

And yeah, after a few close calls I have also started to tell people to ride single file and also people to turn their lights on if they are riding in the evening / early morning / at night with no lights. I've also been told to f-off and mind my own business on a number of occasions. No one wants to be Mr Policeman, but if you crash into me and cause damage to me then it DOES become my business. I will sue the pants off anyone who causes me any damages because of their poor practices and negligence. I'm in the process of a major settlement for another accident I had last year (with a car that was at fault). Fair warning to all.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Creakyknees

Postby Creakyknees » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:05 am

Thanks for the support guys,

I agree that the most people are good, safe riders, I guess I am just a bit jumpy now and tend to notice the bad a bit more.
I do hope that goes away with time.