Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Express

Nhutty

Re: Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Expres

Postby Nhutty » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Nhutty wrote:

Any updates MichaelB on the Mezzo 90? Interested in your opinion and how it compares to the Forza Di2
Just about to start the writeup this weekend. Have now done in excess of 800km and plenty of climbing :D

In a few words, "well worth the extra money". That was at $3,599, but now on sale for $2,999 making it even better.

Had one forum member come over for a quick try and he compared it favourably to his BMC SLR01 in terms of how the rear end feels transferring the power and soaking up the bumps.

Stay tuned :D
BUT BUT the sale ends Oct 30th! Which is only a few days away!

$2999 is a great price, for what you get, I really need to take one for a test ride, might call them later and see if i can arrange one.

Im 73kgs, 170cm. Size small is the best fit for me i'm guessing

Other bikes i've been looking at are the Trek Madone 5.9 Ultegra di2 which can be had under $4k

Finally, in the specs its listed the cassette as a 11-23T, is this an error and it should be 11-25T?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Go and try one if you can.

Yes, cassette is 11-23. :D

Cycledelica

Postby Cycledelica » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 am

CyclingExpress made me an offer I couldn't refuse..... Azzurri Mezzo Di2 for $2999.

I had previously ordered the Forza (which was dispatched last night unfortunately) so I will have to cop the return post, but hey the Mezzo will be back at $3599 tomorrow so I'm still saving about $500 on the regular price anyway.

Good timing to be in the market for a bike around $2500-3000.

Can't wait to get out and ride it :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:13 pm

Cycledelica wrote:CyclingExpress made me an offer I couldn't refuse..... Azzurri Mezzo Di2 for $2999.

I had previously ordered the Forza (which was dispatched last night unfortunately) so I will have to cop the return post, but hey the Mezzo will be back at $3599 tomorrow so I'm still saving about $500 on the regular price anyway.

Good timing to be in the market for a bike around $2500-3000.

Can't wait to get out and ride it :)
It's a great combo.

Great deal and enjoy it !!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:20 am

Michaels BNA review of the Azzurri Mezzo 90 Carbon Road Bike has now been published.

Cycling is in my BNA

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:11 pm

decent review, but there are some "misleading" bits of information. The 40 day test ride is not unique to cycling express, that time period may be but other stores offer a similar program, ranging from 2 weeks to lifetime (competitive cyclist). The smoother ride could also be down to softer rubber and shallower wheels. The Zaffrio tyres on the Forza were never going to be more than commuting tyres and the Reynolds Solitude's profile make it quite a solid wheel. That crank also looks like a BB30 crank to me, not BB86. I do like how the reviewer has summed up the entire review, good read

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:00 pm

usernameforme wrote:decent review, but there are some "misleading" bits of information. The 40 day test ride is not unique to cycling express, that time period may be but other stores offer a similar program, ranging from 2 weeks to lifetime (competitive cyclist). The smoother ride could also be down to softer rubber and shallower wheels. The Zaffrio tyres on the Forza were never going to be more than commuting tyres and the Reynolds Solitude's profile make it quite a solid wheel. That crank also looks like a BB30 crank to me, not BB86. I do like how the reviewer has summed up the entire review, good read
Hiya usernameforme,

Thanks for the feedback. Re the 40 day bizzo - I think whilst unique may not be exact, I haven't seen any others where there is a 40 day money back (not just a credit) if you change your mind - not a fault or anything like that, but happy to shown the links to others, so if needs be, a correction can be made. I would be surprised if CC had a full refund after a lifetime on a bike - that way I'd buy a new bike every few years and just keep returning the old one.

Edit - just read CC's terms - WOW !!!

Re the ride - the difference between the bikes was HUGE. When i tried the 25C tyres on the Forza, it made the ride bearable, but still stiff. The Mezzo's ride was something else again. Agree, different tyres can make a difference, but not that much. It is also not just the ride, but the responsiveness and the handling.

Still, it is my opinion, and the two tests were separated by 6 weeks.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm

MichaelB wrote: just read CC's terms - WOW !!!
so are we going to see you on a new bike every year now? I think the nature of CC's terms is that they hope people don't "abuse" it, and it does make warranty easier as you'll be dealing with a shop who cares about their rep and not a company that wants to lay the blame on the shop

With the stiff ride of the Forza, did you ever get to try it with some low profile rims and soft rubber? I get the idea that its a harsh ride, but I'm wondering if it can be put in the same sentence as the Mezzo with similar/same wheel, tyre, tube combo

Again, good job on the review, its nice to read something that doesn't read like 100% marketing/buy me

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:18 am

usernameforme wrote: ...

With the stiff ride of the Forza, did you ever get to try it with some low profile rims and soft rubber? I get the idea that its a harsh ride, but I'm wondering if it can be put in the same sentence as the Mezzo with similar/same wheel, tyre, tube combo
No option or ability to try different wheels.

The conclusion was drawn and reinforced as the front end resposnes to road surface and bumps was similar to that of the Forza - pretty direct. The Forza suffered from feeling the road surface harshly, and this was attributed to the Zaffiro tyres. The Conti tyres on the Mezzo were better riding for sure, but don't thing the rims would have made much difference, but didn't get the chance to try.

Still think the Mezzo rear end is a major contributor to the great ride.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nhutty

Postby Nhutty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:52 am

great review MichaelB,

So tempted...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Nhutty wrote:great review MichaelB,

So tempted...
Thanks. I hope that it provides and honest realistic assessment for the average rider rather than a pro or pure marketing blurb.

And they have a special on too where it's $2,999.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:22 pm

usernameforme wrote:
MichaelB wrote: just read CC's terms - WOW !!!
so are we going to see you on a new bike every year now? I think the nature of CC's terms is that they hope people don't "abuse" it, and it does make warranty easier as you'll be dealing with a shop who cares about their rep and not a company that wants to lay the blame on the shop

Again, good job on the review, its nice to read something that doesn't read like 100% marketing/buy me
I can't believe those terms! Surely you couldn't ride the wheels off a bike for a year then send it back and say that you're unhappy because it doesn't fit quite right.

It's not something I'd do, the thought of being that dishonest makes me feel a little queezey to be honest.

I guess in reality, they are in a segment of the market where people are paying big $$$ for bikes and they can afford such an offer either way.

Mingjiemj2012

Postby Mingjiemj2012 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:53 pm

sorry to bump in... is the frame for Forza Pro same with Forza elite?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:14 pm

I can't imagine cycling express offering different Forza frames, it wouldn't suit there buisness model.

and with the lifetime returns of CC, if you look at their prices, they are a fair bit more expensive than c r c or the other UK giants, so they probably factor this in with their pricing

Cycledelica

Postby Cycledelica » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 am

usernameforme wrote: Again, good job on the review, its nice to read something that doesn't read like 100% marketing/buy me
I picked up a Mezzo 90 about 2 weeks ago now. I went from an aluminium bike before and it now feels like I'm riding a bike with suspension that somehow manages to be stiff at the same time. The damping over rough road surface is amazing and was the thing that really stood out.

The one thing I was disappointed about though was a $99 charge just to change a cassette. When I'm paying $3000 for a bike I shouldn't have to fork out $99 for something that takes a mechanic 10mins. A 39-23 as your smallest gear is kind of inappropriate if you have any long and/or steep climbs in the neighbourhood. I think it should come stock with the 25 on the back like the Forza, and then the option to change to the cassette included for free. Now I have to buy another cassette for hilly rides and so I either waste the 11-23 on nothing or I have to buy another set of wheels so I can easily swap them around and get my money's worth out of both.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:38 am

On the cassette charge I don't agree. The bike is priced at a very affordable price, possible by being standard - when you want something different, it costs time to do this and consider if everything is packed and ready, it needs to be unpacked and assembled, the cassette changed and then the gears checked and repacked. I think it is fair to have a charge on this and understand that a LBS who isn't doing big volume online sales may do this cheaper or included in the price.
Cycling is in my BNA

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am

^^^ Agree.

I get that you might feel a bit hard done by spending $3000 at a business and then having to pay a little bit extra for a seemingly small exercise.

But it needs to be put into perspective.

You're buying a $3000 bike, that for all intents and purposes, would be stickered closer to $5000 in a bricks and mortar store. Or at least an equivalent spec'd bike would be.

$3k at a LBS would net around $1500 profit before accounting for overheads and fixed costs. I dare say on an Azzuri at CE, they'd be netting somewhere between $500-1000 on a $3k sale.

What I'm getting at is that CE aren't making a great deal of profit on a per sale basis. Stuff like a cassette change - stuff a bricks and mortar store would happily absorb the cost of - simply can't be done for free.

Just trying to put it into perspective for you.

Seeing as though you didn't take the $99 option, go out and buy the cassette you want from c r c et al, sell your 11-23 on here, and you won't be far from breaking even.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 am

I agree with all of the above comments, but I also have my own perspective. This bike is a racer's bike, its not designed to be a sportif bike. I know some races take you up steeper hills that might require a 25 or even a 27, but the majority of racers should be fine with a 39-23 for most terrain. IMO this isn't a bike designed to comfortably take you up a hill, its one designed to get you up faster than your competitors. That said, they probably used a 23 because it might of been cheaper to get them OEM as few other manufacturers use that on their bikes. I really dislike bike manufacturers who put sportif gearing on bikes that are intended for other purposes (looking at you Specialized, Trek). Just my 2c :wink:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 am

They actually have to source the cassette at Australian prices, and then install it. The operation isn't set up to do this - I think the lads said they pull the bike out complete from the container? They actually have to disassemble the bike. I would disagree that they should have a 11-25 on the back for this bike, it's a racing machine, not a morning cruiser. You shouldn't be trying to do a 39/25 on tired lazy legs, let alone a 39/23. But I digress :lol:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 am

On the gear ratio's, I think this is really valuable feedback for Azzurri. We have different cycling conditions all over Australia so will just chip in and say that I also understand that offering different cassettes as part of the standard package could make it easier. Cycling Express do follow this and no-doubt it is food for thought.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am

usernameforme wrote:..... This bike is a racer's bike, its not designed to be a sportif bike. ....
Re the ongoing discussion re the gearing.

I agree with the fact that the way iot is packaged (gearing related) is that it's aimed at a racer/strong rider, but after riding the bike, I tend to think that it makes a GREAT sportive weapon. It all depends ion what racing you do (crits, long races etc) and whether you are a whippet of like TLL, a big strong masher.

For me, I'd want a compact crank and 11-26 or 12-27 cassette. But that's me.

One way that CE can offer this great deal is by minimising the variations. That's just how high volume manufacturing works. Adding in variables/customisation adds to the cost.

As suggested, it's not hard to change yourself, so that's how I'd make minor alterations (same goes for personal preferences re seat, bars etc).

One thing to note re the cassette. If you take that option, the XG-1090 gets replaced by the OG-1090 (older Red design) as noted in the review. Would probably work fine, but there have been notes re noiser operation (mainly due to the hollow design) and hence the addition of the elastomers in the XG version of the cassette.

Cheers

Michael B

sergiomyth

Postby sergiomyth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I agree in regards to the gearing. Before I bought my mezzo I spoke to Cycling Express and they agreed also, they said the 11/23 cassette was supposed to be an 11/27 but somehow the factory assembly made a mistake or something.

ANyhow the ride of the bike exceeded my expectations. The frame is not only stiff (I am 81kg) but also very light, I am super happy with my purchase (and the price i payed :lol: ) and would recommend to anyone, especially over a generic and boring Toyota, oops I mean Giant :D

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I rode a mezzo 90 back to back with my a Giant. The mezzo felt like a wet noodle. It had far less road feed back but was much softer under power.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
I've had a few Pm's about this comment and after rereading the post it would appear I have been wrong in my statements above. I rode a Mezzo Pro not the new Mezzo 90 so I take back what I said as I've never ridden a 90. Sorry for the confusion and Michael for not shining a more positive light on you efforts. I feel a bit bad about this as in previous posts I've always supported CE both on here and in purchases and will continue to do so. My honest mistake, hope you can accept my apology for misleading any of you :oops: :oops:. I'll go back to my corner eating humble pie :)

Marty

paulz

Postby paulz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:51 am

Marty Moose wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:I rode a mezzo 90 back to back with my a Giant. The mezzo felt like a wet noodle. It had far less road feed back but was much softer under power.

I've had a few Pm's about this comment and after rereading the post it would appear I have been wrong in my statements above. I rode a Mezzo Pro not the new Mezzo 90 so I take back what I said as I've never ridden a 90. Sorry for the confusion and Michael for not shining a more positive light on you efforts. I feel a bit bad about this as in previous posts I've always supported CE both on here and in purchases and will continue to do so. My honest mistake, hope you can accept my apology for misleading any of you :oops: :oops:. I'll go back to my corner eating humble pie :)

Marty
It takes a big Moose to admit when he is wrong...onya MM! Many people wouldn't have said anything. Good karma coming your way I hope!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:29 am

Marty Moose wrote:

Marty
No probs, and thanks for clarifying. had me wondering if my standards were a bit odd :lol:

Do yourself a favour and try the Mezzo 90 if you can !!