Video Camera who uses one?

jules21

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:35 pm

no idea! would gratefully receive advice :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:35 pm

jules21 wrote:no idea! would gratefully receive advice :)
I suggest you stick to the seller, eletoponline365, who by all accounts including Techmoan and from the RC forums seems to be the actual manufacturer/legit seller.

Seems to only now have the #16.

Andrew

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:38 pm

thanks Andrew. will do.

munga

Postby munga » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:30 pm

tl;dr

considering a gopro for xmas (not sure wheich model etc) - any reason to avoid them?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

JBark wrote:Now that's creepy. Just the other day I was chatting with my wife about how nice it would be to have a dual front/rear facing camera on my helmet, both attached by some sort of hinge so you could adjust them. Also envisioned something that was quite flat.

Basically, exactly what that guy designed, almost to a T. Literally the only difference was that mine didn't stick up so high on the mount, was more flush with the helmet. How did this guy get inside my brain? :)
Oregon Scientific have the ATC Chameleon on the market so it is not a new idea.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBOBi7bJIAg&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:15 pm

munga wrote:tl;dr

considering a gopro for xmas (not sure wheich model etc) - any reason to avoid them?
Expense and you'll look like a teletubbie if you wear it on your head.

On the other hand, it will mount well, take great footage and be heaps of fun. 3 new models to choose from. The gopro website will tell you the differences (I'd list them but would run the risk of a tl;dr :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Dave

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:
jules21 wrote:does anyone have any info on the new #20 Jumbo 808?
Is that the legit seller of these cameras. Not the one I have used and seen referenced elsewhere? There are Chinese clones of the Chinese cameras :)

Andrew
There are a few sellers that do genuine 808's, haven't heard of that seller though.

One of these just turned up for me today:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320999212178 ... 952wt_1102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a #11 but an improved #11. Seems better built than my original #11. Gave it a quick test inside (at night with indoor lights) and it seemed ok, yet to ride with it obviously.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:47 am

Ozkaban wrote:
munga wrote:tl;dr

considering a gopro for xmas (not sure which model etc) - any reason to avoid them?
Expense and you'll look like a teletubbie if you wear it on your head.

On the other hand, it will mount well, take great footage and be heaps of fun. 3 new models to choose from. The gopro website will tell you the differences (I'd list them but would run the risk of a tl;dr :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Dave
thanks Dave, will do some reading and have a chat to santa next time i'm at the shopping centre :P

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Sony Action Camera for review on BNA has just come though - just charging and will have a good look and report. Have to download an app where I can view on my phone - and have asked for the bike specific mount though it was suggested that the current system is compatible with GoPro adhesive mounts.
Cycling is in my BNA

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Just purchased a Kaiser Baas Sports, we'll see how well it goes on tomorrow mornings riverloop, stated battery life is only 3 hours, less than my 'no-name' chinese one, but weighs a fraction of the chinese one & about half the size, so I'll gladly accept the trade off.

Hopefully the video quality is similar or superior (not that the chinese one does a bad job), you can alter the video length & the video quality, plus it has infrared LED's for low light use. Have to wait until winter to see how that goes.

I post links to the ride video's every Sunday, so if anyone is interested to see the difference between a $100 chinese & a (nearly) $100 German camera you should be able to see on Sunday.

rosscojj

Postby rosscojj » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:02 pm

norbs wrote:Just a word of thanks to GoPro here...

http://norbs.tk/bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good service.
I had exactly the same thing happen with the GoPro handlebar mount as Norbs did yesterday, snapped in exactly the same spot. Except my camera is okay and the housing seems fine. I have submitted a request to their support to see if they will replace the extension bar. It was a fairly rough trail but I would have thought it would have managed it.

Norbs was yours the longer of the two extension bars that come with the handlebar kit?

The video: Short version followed by a longer version. I think one side snapped (1:05?) first because the video became increasingly choppy towards the point where it failed completely.

(Language Warning :wink: )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGQZSLQu28&feature=plcp[/youtube]

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:10 pm

rosscojj wrote:
norbs wrote:Just a word of thanks to GoPro here...

http://norbs.tk/bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good service.
I had exactly the same thing happen with the GoPro handlebar mount as Norbs did yesterday, snapped in exactly the same spot. Except my camera is okay and the housing seems fine. I have submitted a request to their support to see if they will replace the extension bar. It was a fairly rough trail but I would have thought it would have managed it.

Norbs was yours the longer of the two extension bars that come with the handlebar kit?

The video: Short version followed by a longer version. I think one side snapped (1:05?) first because the video became increasingly choppy towards the point where it failed completely.

(Language Warning :wink: )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGQZSLQu28&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Yes, I believe so.

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Sony Action Camera for review on BNA has just come though - just charging and will have a good look and report. Have to download an app where I can view on my phone - and have asked for the bike specific mount though it was suggested that the current system is compatible with GoPro adhesive mounts.
Eager to see how it goes!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:02 pm

Good video of Sony Action Cam versus HD Hero3 versus HD Hero 2.
http://youtu.be/g0zoxpWmNrY
Seems the conclusion pro's for Sony Action Cam is steadyshot is great if not interested in post processing and using a better wifi interface than the GoPro.
Con's for the Sony Action Cam are not as good video specs, narrower 120 angle for the drawcard steadyshot mode itself, no audio in high fps modes.
If action cameras become for me like bikes are N+1 (at 0 cams right now) then I could see 1st gen Sony, HD Hero 3, and next gen Sony as a happy family within 12 months. I just need to do something more interesting than commuting to be worth the cost/bother of recording =P

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 pm

eldavo wrote: I just need to do something more interesting than commuting to be worth the cost/bother of recording =P

For me, the camera is insurance first and foremost.

The vast majority of my stuff though isn't that interesting although I do have some fun with what I do get :P
2012 Oppy A4

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:14 am

It would be interesting test scenario to drive by parked cars with license plate visible, freeze frame, and compare which was sharper for a legible plate, I don't ride the road so that's not a seller for me, but good conclusion for practical image results between limited FPS and FOV for the Sony with Steadyshot, versus the extra resolution, FPS, and FOV of the GoPro. Add that some people view the plates and read them out to audio, which is neutered along with steadyshot on the high resolution and FOV and FPS of the Sony.

This girl would have only been the butt end of Youtube jokes with cameras.
http://road.cc/content/news/71206-swedi ... g-rear-end" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Here is an advanced preview of the Sony Action Cam.
This is the 1920x1080 video - some of the compression is in Vimeo though you can still get an idea of differences between the mounted camera and the stationary camera. It was a very bright day so a lot of contrasts which were handled quite well. Coming up is a GoPro Hero 2 / Sony Action Cam spilt video. Sure there is more to tell, but you will have to wait for the review:

The big version is probably better to give you an idea.
1080p HD Version of the Sony Action Cam video

As a camera review it isn't as captivating as a Quentin Tarantino, though John Hawkins worked hard on his skills while I manned the camera - but you can spot me riding in front for the handlebar mounted shots.
Cycling is in my BNA

zero

Postby zero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:28 pm

If thats straight off the camera then the smoothing is very pleasing to the eye.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:47 pm

It has been compressed by the editor and obviously on Vimeo again - just for you a comparison of one screen off the original footage (though at 1440x810 is the maximum my screen will display) and from Vimeo (copied at 960x540).

Both scaled to 500 pixels across for display here. You can see how much more detail is in the original footage.
Handlebar (or moving) footage suffers from vibration as you will see - but that is a trial and error with any camera so look forward to matching the GoPro Hero2 and Sony Action Cam footage.

Cycling is in my BNA

malnar

Postby malnar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 am

I've got a jumbo #16 that I bought from eletoponline365 & it stops recording after about 20 min/1 gig. I've also got a jumbo #11 which creates a new file every 20 min but the #16 stops recording altogether. When I recharge the batt on the #16 it's good for another 20 min or so.

Does this sound like a setting I can change or a dodgy battery?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:16 pm

malnar wrote:I've got a jumbo #16 that I bought from eletoponline365 & it stops recording after about 20 min/1 gig. I've also got a jumbo #11 which creates a new file every 20 min but the #16 stops recording altogether. When I recharge the batt on the #16 it's good for another 20 min or so.

Does this sound like a setting I can change or a dodgy battery?
If its exactly 20 minutes sounds like a setting.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm

I recently got a GoPro Hero 2 and overall I am happy but it seems the battery life isnt the best. Am lucky to get an hour and a half out of the battery. Have tried different settings for video and am using class 10 32 Gig SD card.

I was thinking I would get at least 2 hours out of the battery...at least. Anyone else had this issue?

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:24 pm

After a close call this morning I bit the bullet and bought myself a 808 Jumbo #18.

This one is a different shell to the first three released, but I believe it is the real thing (not a copy) as it's being sold by one of eletoponline's identified subsidiaries (identified by techmoan).

For those playing along at home: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newest-Jumbo- ... 337d9b1db4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if anyone is interested, Techmoan also has a number of thorough reviews and general information on the 808 series:

808 #11 review: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/2/18/ ... 1-808.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
808 #11 followup: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/5/7/h ... o-far.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
808 #16 review: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/12/25 ... amera.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jumbo 808 #11: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2011/8/4/j ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
808 #18: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/7/1/t ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Posted similar info in the moron motorists thread but thought it may be useful to post in here too.)

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:15 pm

Wait a second... I noticed that gopro hero 3 can record at 4kp... Can a computer or tv even play video at that resolution?

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm

gretaboy wrote:I recently got a GoPro Hero 2 and overall I am happy but it seems the battery life isnt the best. Am lucky to get an hour and a half out of the battery. Have tried different settings for video and am using class 10 32 Gig SD card.

I was thinking I would get at least 2 hours out of the battery...at least. Anyone else had this issue?

I was a little unhappy about only getting 3 hours from my kaiser baas, I now don't feel so bad & I'm so happy I didn't buy the much dearer goPro.