Purchasing new tyres

robbiepapenfus

Purchasing new tyres

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 am

Hi guys,

After about 2000km on my commuter bike, I need to replace my back tyre.

I have a Trek Hybrid FX 7.3 and the tire size is 700 x 32. I called the local bike shop and they asking $50 for a Bontrager tyre. Seems a little pricey if you ask me.

Do you guys know of any online shops where tyres can be bought at a good price even if you take postage into consideration?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,
Robbie

wqlava1

Re: Purchasing new tyres

Postby wqlava1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi guys,

After about 2000km on my commuter bike, I need to replace my back tyre.

I have a Trek Hybrid FX 7.3 and the tire size is 700 x 32. I called the local bike shop and they asking $50 for a Bontrager tyre. Seems a little pricey if you ask me.

Do you guys know of any online shops where tyres can be bought at a good price even if you take postage into consideration?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks,
Robbie
Get your vertical scroll bar and pull it all the way down. List on the right.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am

wqlava1 wrote:Get your vertical scroll bar and pull it all the way down. List on the right.
depends on what sort of tyre you want - fast or puncture protection

fast - people seem to recommend the continental gp4000s (~$40 per tyre)
puncture protection - go the schwalbe marathon plus (go for a 700x25c or 28c) - these tyres are heavy but the weight is in the pucture protection material in the tyre
these are around $38-$41/tyre
these prices are from the shop links you see on the right

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks guys! :)

How does the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase Tyres compare to the Schwalbe marathon plus in terms if durability and puncture protection?

Out of interest, how often do you change your tyres (km) and whats a good indication that your tyres need changing?

My tryes have done about 2000km. Front tyre seems fine, but back tyre seems quite warn down (hence the recent puncture). The guy at the LBS said the ratio of replacing front versus back tyres is about 1 - 3. i.e Every time you replace the front tyre, the back tyre will need to be replaced 3 times in the same period... just a guideline of guess

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:Thanks guys! :)

How does the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase Tyres compare to the Schwalbe marathon plus in terms if durability and puncture protection?

Out of interest, how often do you change your tyres (km) and whats a good indication that your tyres need changing?

My tryes have done about 2000km. Front tyre seems fine, but back tyre seems quite warn down (hence the recent puncture). The guy at the LBS said the ratio of replacing front versus back tyres is about 1 - 3. i.e Every time you replace the front tyre, the back tyre will need to be replaced 3 times in the same period... just a guideline of guess
would agree with the 1 front to 3 rear

the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase looks equivalent to the schwalbe except the schwalbe will last longer (up to about 4300kms on mine)

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:01 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:How does the Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase Tyres compare to the Schwalbe marathon plus in terms if durability and puncture protection?
Dunno about the Bontrager, but the Schwalbe marathon plus' are bombproof and they last a long time. 4500km on my back tyre and still going strong
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket