I'm an idiot thread

boss

I'm an idiot thread

Postby boss » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Today I was riding along and noticed my saddlebag's shadow looked odd. Turns out it had been wide open for the last 15km. Only lost a co2 canister.

And the other day I forgot to take my iPod out of my jersey... Yes, it got washed. I'm usually good with checking pockets, but its my first jersey, and well, I'm not used to pockets on a shirt!

Anyone else care to share their idiot moments?

damhooligan

Re: I'm an idiot thread

Postby damhooligan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 pm

jimboss wrote:Today I was riding along and noticed my saddlebag's shadow looked odd. Turns out it had been wide open for the last 15km. Only lost a co2 canister.

And the other day I forgot to take my iPod out of my jersey... Yes, it got washed. I'm usually good with checking pockets, but its my first jersey, and well, I'm not used to pockets on a shirt!

saddle bag open... check.
ipod?, close, a different brand mp3 player..., but mine stil worked after a full washing cycle... 8)
Whats the current status of your ipod ?
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:19 pm

That's why i don't use saddlebags, ever since a MTB race where the zip rattled loose and i lost all my tools and spares :( .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 am

Was talking to an ex colleague yesterday, and I would like to enter his idiot moment.

I was asking him how his bike was going (Cannondale Scalpel, $9000), as I am thinking of getting one.

He replied that he crashed it into a tree and did $4000 worth of damage.

I asked him how he was, he was OK, as he was driving at the time.

The bike was on his roof rack when he went under a low branch.

No injuries, fully insured, laugh away!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:28 am

lump a charcoal - he shouldn't feel so bad, i know a lot of people who bought roof mounted bike racks!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am

lump_a_charcoal wrote:The bike was on his roof rack when he went under a low branch.
been there, done that

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 am

jimboss wrote:Today I was riding along and noticed my saddlebag's shadow looked odd. Turns out it had been wide open for the last 15km. Only lost a co2 canister.

Your iPod should survive. I have washed mine with no ill effects.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

westab

Postby westab » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:18 am

I have "waterproof" panniers to carry my clothes, lunch, and laptop to and from work. The laptop is the main reason that I have the "waterproof" panniers and they do a good job in keeping everthing dry even in a downpour.

Riding home one afternoon there was a storm on the way but I thought I could get home before it hit so I left the rain coat in the pannier and got going as fast as I could. About 4 kms from home the rain caught me so I stopped under a bridge and opened the pannier with my rain gear in it (and also my laptop) put on rain coat and pants and quickly rode home. Got home and mrs westab asked why one of my panniers was open :oops: - lucky that the laptop was only damp but the laptop bag was very wet. :oops: (glad it wasn't 5km)

The rain gear now "lives" in the other pannier. :roll:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 am

One of my regular rides has a bike path section of about 3kms - Its a good warm up, go out do a ride, then hop on the path to get home again...

Riding along and I notice a little black saddle bag on the track...

"Wow, that saddle bag looks JUST LIKE MINE.... what a coincidence..."

Ummm

"Hang on...that IS mine..."

The saddle bag (only big enough for one spare tube, a CO2 cannister, CO2 gate valve and two plastic tyre levers) clips on under my seat....

Apparently the clip wasn't done up properly....

Lucky I didn't have a flat whilst out on the ride...

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am

A friend... not me!!

He parked his bike against car.. standard.
Then forgot bike was there... moved the car and..
Drove over his own bike....
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 am

R12RT wrote:

Your iPod should survive. I have washed mine with no ill effects.
It's well and truely dead. Lived a hard life, dropped many times. The screen was cracked so badly that it didn't register touch properly. Which was a pain, being a Nano, there wasn't much screen real estate, so once the touch started playing up it was a mission to attempt to use outside of shaking to shuffle and using the tactile buttons to adjust volume.

Needless to say, I resisted binning it. It had been in the above state for a good six months.

But after being washed it's well and truely dead, doesn't turn on, doesn't play music, etc.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:27 am

ldrcycles wrote:That's why i don't use saddlebags, ever since a MTB race where the zip rattled loose and i lost all my tools and spares :( .
What I couldn't believe was I pulled up at traffic lights with other riders around (and behind me), nobody cared to mention my saddlebag was open!

I also couldn't believe I lost a single co2 canister as I'd been riding over bumpy stuff, done a couple of descents, quite a spirited ride really... when I realised it was open I imagined everything being gone, maybe the tubes hung around. Stoked on it really. haha

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 am

I left my saddlebag cover (for a Topeak Dynapack) open one day as I started riding down from Kinglake, heading south. I'd ridden several km before I heard the minipump falling out of the pack. Luckily for me that was the only item that fell out and the pump wasn't even damaged, so I picked it up, closed the pack and rode home feeling a bit annoyed with myself.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:53 am

i went riding without a helmet once and also without water bottles, no idea why, just couldnt wait to get on the bike one morning..
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 am

Addictr3 wrote:i went riding with a helmet once and also without water bottles, no idea why, just couldnt wait to get on the bike one morning..
I routinely forget things when I'm rushing out during the week, more than once I've forgot to plug the heart rate monitor to my heart rate strap.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am

How bout this one....

I was riding to start of group ride....
Noticed something dangeling on my legs.
Whats that?....
Ow....
They where my braces from my bib nicks.....

Had to go offroad to fix it..... :oops:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
lump_a_charcoal wrote:The bike was on his roof rack when he went under a low branch.
been there, done that
I've done that with my pub bike up there. Didn't break the bike, but I broke the roof rack, which was worth more than the bike :roll:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 am

Heard plenty of tales of forgotten helmets. Managed to forget water bottles before, but only on 20km rides, so no biggie. I've seen a couple of people drive to the ride meet point, only to look around in the car for their shoes, which are still at home, naturally.

Personally, my #1 idiot moment was riding around with my head down, not paying any real attention, when suddenly I'm on the deck. I looked up to realise I'd hit a parked car. I tagged it with the left end of the bars, and sheared the brake lever off the bolt, but the front wheel had missed. Two inches further to the right and I'd have missed it altogether. Luckily it was a quiet suburban street so I didn't get run over as well.

Jim

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 am

damhooligan wrote:How bout this one....

I was riding to start of group ride....
Noticed something dangeling on my legs.
Whats that?....
Ow....
They where my braces from my bib nicks.....

Had to go offroad to fix it..... :oops:
I do that all the time. I tend to show up wearing my bibs with the straps down and a t-shirt. That way I can stick the jersey on quickly in public. I often forget that I'm wearing bibs, and not knicks.

I also forget I've got cleat covers on until I can't clip in.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:11 am

I must have looked funny running back up the track, dodging the oncoming hoardes and the photography gear when I lost the saddle bag during the Highland Fling MTB event last year at a rough location where the photographers were getting action shots. I'd left one strap undone, and the other decided to rip free. Luckily someone noticed and told me. My favourite minni tool was in there. Needless to say, multi tool now lives elsewhere, tubes etc still in saddlebag.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 am

familyguy wrote:Heard plenty of tales of forgotten helmets. Managed to forget water bottles before, but only on 20km rides, so no biggie. I've seen a couple of people drive to the ride meet point, only to look around in the car for their shoes, which are still at home, naturally.
SHOES! Yes. This is what prompted me to set up a race bag. I used to grab everything I needed and head out the door, until one night, after sitting in trraffic for an hour, I arrived at the velodrome to find I had no shoes. Fortunately, the host club had some pedals with toe-clips, so I got permission from the comms and raced hipster style.

Now I have a bag with all of my race kit in it. It is used only for races. Things go straight back in there when I am finished with them and they don't get taken out again until I'm at the next race. It's saved me lots of hassle and mental effort, but it did cost me an extra set of shoes, helmet, gloves, arm warmers etc. I also keep my race license in there since some clubs won't let you race unless you have your physical license there.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am

at a cafe stop my mate did his business an dput his bibs back on inside out.................................... :shock: :roll:
when do we stop for coffee???

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm

BarryTas wrote:at a cafe stop my mate did his business an dput his bibs back on inside out.................................... :shock: :roll:
who takes their bibs off completely? :D

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 pm

I've got a bit of a routine for the ride to work now that I've forgotten things like socks, swipe ID card, brush etc a few times, but a few months ago I was kicking around at home before work in thongs - as you do in Darwin - and then found I was still in them when I got to work.

I wore shoe covers from the operating theatre over my thongs for a while until bumping into a friend who was finishing night shift. She leant me her still-warm fluorescent Crocs for the day...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

Left my carradice side pouch open one day after needing to access the multi tool in it. Forgot to do it back up. Lost a tube, no biggie
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810