Do you keep old inner tubes?

robbiepapenfus

Do you keep old inner tubes?

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:08 am

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you throw away your inner tubes when you get punctures or do you fix the punctures and re-use your tubes?

Cheers,
Robbie

Tony6463

Re: Do you keep old inner tubes?

Postby Tony6463 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 am

I am not a big fan of running patches. Don't get that many flats either luckily so it is not a big issue. Currently have two old tubes hanging over the vice in the garage. Never know when you might need a bit of rubber for something. I usually need it rigth after I have thrown the old tubes out :evil:

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

Nope

boss

Postby boss » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 am

I more than happily patch old tubes.

Some pinch flats can be too big to patch. But punctures are easily fixable 99% of the time.
Last edited by boss on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:37 am

robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering if you throw away your inner tubes when you get punctures or do you fix the punctures and re-use your tubes?

Cheers,
Robbie
Fix and reuse.

If unrepairable, keep tube anyway (hoard?) and use rubber for a multitude of odd uses where a scratch proof surface is needed.

The only time I've chucked the tubes is when I've done a particularly annoying repair that never seemed to work properly and when I pumped it up it leaked. Got annoyed at that point and into the bin it went...

I tend to retire tubes after about 5 or so patches just 'cos I figure they're getting old at that point.

Cheers,
Dave

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 am

Keep and patch. Up to three patches is fine, even on the 'quick' bike. I bought two of the 50-pack patch kits from ebay, should keep me going for a few years.

Jim

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

Throw away and buy new ones.

I usually have a stock of half a dozen new tubes in my 'bike bookshelf' in the garage that holds all my cycling gear.

Every now and then I'm buying stuff from Cellbikes or wiggle, and just add a couple of tubes to the order - more if they are on decent sale.

I get maybe 3 or 4 punctures a year - for for $5 per tube, its a pretty cheap investment ...

If I saved tubes for re-patching it would be another job around the house that would never get done....

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:18 pm

I chuck them and use a new tube, basaically because I have no luck with patches and new tubes, as mentioned elsewhere, are not that expensive.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:Hi guys,

Cheers,
Robbie
Patch them up to 3 times, I've never had a patch fail.

When the tube gets too old the valve will eventually seperate from the tube and the seams can let go which is why I say 3 patches - past that point you might get a failure for another reason other than something puncturing the tyre.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 pm

makes good bar tape for your pub bike

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:53 pm

I heard some members use the old tyres as 'patches'... good idea!

What glue would be best? Someone mentioned quick grip glue.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm

patch and repair. i have very rarely had a patch fail - a tube is far more likely to fail of its own accord (i.e. puncture). being over-cautious, i only use patched tubes on the rear, but there's no science behind that.

it takes me 5 mins to patch a tube and most of the task is necessary anyway to locate the puncture site and check the tyre.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 pm

I always carry two new tubes with me on every ride and when I puncture I put the new tube in and take the punctured tube home.
Once home I will patch and re-install onto the bike and put the "almost new" spare tube back in the saddle bag for next time.

I've only thrown one tube away and that was during this years Around The Bay when I ran over a tack going downhill at 50+ km/h.
I was so !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! off I threw the tube after pulling it out and got going again....but in hindsight I should have packed it and repaired it at home.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

robbiepapenfus

Postby robbiepapenfus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:35 pm

jules21 wrote:i only use patched tubes on the rear
Why is that?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

robbiepapenfus wrote:
jules21 wrote:i only use patched tubes on the rear
Why is that?
if the patch fails, the result is less likely to cause me to crash if it's on the rear. but i don't believe it's likely to fail, so it's almost a superstition.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Don't throw tubes away but also don't feel the need to patch.

Tube from saddle bag generally goes on the rim and the puncture will be fixed when I get home IF I have time. Otherwise a new tube will go in the saddle bag and the punctured tube will be added to a heap at the end of my work bench.

If I find a flat tire when at home will normally repair and put the tube back in.

The collection of tubes at the end of the bench are used when I need a new tube I will repair and use, or they are cut up an used for a variety of tasks, one being making guards for on the rear chain stay or bungee on the pannier.

- David.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:23 pm

jaseyjase wrote:makes good bar tape for your pub bike
OK, I have to comment on this 'pub bike' option. :?:

I know cyclists are always looking to for excuses to get a new bike, but 'pub bike'....?!

I mean, I know people will have a track bike, a commuter, a weekend bike, a race bike, a touring bike, an audax bike, a wet weather bike....

But how many people have gone to the extent of having a dedicated 'pub bike'...??? :roll:

jacob_T

Postby jacob_T » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Aha. That tube bar grip is rad. I wanna get a pub bike just to try that.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 pm

I use latex tubes for racing. When i pinch a latex tube :evil: i keep it and cut them up to patch my other latex tubes when i get a flat.

othy

Postby othy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I have about 30+ tubes hanging on a old coat hanger near the front door. "Art installation" style.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:11 pm

othy wrote:I have about 30+ tubes hanging on a old coat hanger near the front door. "Art installation" style.
i take it you're not married :)

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:41 pm

jacob_T wrote:Aha. That tube bar grip is rad. I wanna get a pub bike just to try that.
How bad would your hands smell by the time you get to the pub? :?
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:41 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:
jaseyjase wrote:makes good bar tape for your pub bike
OK, I have to comment on this 'pub bike' option. :?:

I know cyclists are always looking to for excuses to get a new bike, but 'pub bike'....?!

I mean, I know people will have a track bike, a commuter, a weekend bike, a race bike, a touring bike, an audax bike, a wet weather bike....

But how many people have gone to the extent of having a dedicated 'pub bike'...??? :roll:
Pub bike sometimes referred to as 'beater', 'shopping bike', 'spare bike', 'dunger', 'clunker', or any one of a dozen other names. Of course, if you look closely at Jase's 'pub bike', you'll see its a fantastic machine made of angel's happiness and stardust.

Jim

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Slingshots. Shoelaces. Upcycle some things, I've even had a few people comment on my inner tube laces.
There's many uses for old tubes.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:21 am

I always patch my tubes, and have never had one fail.

I only throw away a tube when a patch would overlap another patch or the tube fails at the join with the valve. Many of the people I work with that cycle don't patch their tubes so I scab them and I haven't purchased a tube except for the first spare tube for my saddle bag.

I normally dont patch on the road unless I get two punctures on the one ride - I wait till I get home where I can do it in the comfort of my shed with a nice cold brew.