More Bakeries Than Cycling

il padrone

More Bakeries Than Cycling

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 pm

A joke about an alternate meaning for the acronym of my bike club :lol: This is a thread for the delightful eateries we encounter on the road/trail.

I'll kick it off with a delicious place in the small town of Trentham - Red Beard Bakery, makers of fine sour-dough bread and other bakery treats, with a warm cafe and they also do tours of their historic bakery. Their bakery has been operating for over 100 years and is now a yeast-free zone. They are located down a side lane off the main street of Trentham.

Oh yes, and it's a wood-fired Scotch Oven.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Vintagetourer

Re: More Bakeries Than Cycling

Postby Vintagetourer » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Not quite a bakery. And probably hum drum to Melbournians. But we had to ride 1000 km to get to the Sth Melbourne Market. This is one of my favourite pics of the whole tour.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page ... id=1427049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It could in part explain why after 15 days of riding inc. a lot of climbing on loaded bikes I only lost 300 g of body weight.:)

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Redbeard make great bread il Padrone!!! Used to be able to get it at our local farmers market but alas no longer.

If anyone out there likes great sourdough, try Firebrand bakery in Glen Eira Rd Riponlea. I often drop past when I am in the big smoke-well worth the deviation. In particular, their olive bread is just amazing :D :D They also have a really interesting oven if you get a chance to have a look.

Now, if this thread was about patisseries/cafes for after the ride... :D
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:07 pm

I cant get over just how many less than stellar bakeries are out there. Much of the pies/sausagerolls/cornishpastie etc that
I've had the misfortune to part money for, have been in my opinion, inedible with little or no meat content. My local actually uses decent tasting pastry but their filling........... :twisted: My impressions of their Cornish Pasty filling was poorly seasoned sawdust without meat content. Not another penny will they receive from my pocket. What excuse could their be for rubbish filling.
Their offerings aren't lonely unfortunately but typical of much of the fare seemingly available from many. Much of the bakery staples I've tried in Perth have compared unfavorably with Adelaide (in particular) and Sydney (except the no go areas).
As for whats the meat content of a Mrs Mac sausage roll??? as I wont ever be partaking of another one, I dont much care.
When you cycle to Adelaide from the Mildurah along the Stuart Hwy, theres this huge hill that needs pushing up. You come to this little town where the story was bodies found in a bank in drums(?) if I remember correctly - no matter. Theres a bakery! They do magnificent Cornish Pasties which I had to sit and eat two. I left but having gotten about 100 meters down the road I turned around and went back to grab another two to take with me.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:27 pm

rifraf wrote:Theres a bakery! They do magnificent Cornish Pasties which I had to sit and eat two. I left but having gotten about 100 meters down the road I turned around and went back to grab another two to take with me.
SA was the destination of many Cornish tin miners, so it's to be expected that you can get a decent Cornish pastie there.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

The Bakers Hill Pie Shop at Bakers Hill (name has no connection to the pie shop) is a must stop place on the Kep Track and is also popluar with Audax riders (control point) and cyclists in the area.

Andrew

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:49 pm

OK, so if we are adding pies to the list...

On another thread I've already given a rap for the lamb and rosemary pies at Espresso Depot in Buninyong (eat in not take away). these are made by a tiny producer who makes small batches up each day and they taste great. If coming to the road national championships in January (or any other time), Gerard at Espresso Depot makes the best coffee in Buninyong, a good selection of cakes etc (I can personally recommend the friands and raspberry and white chocolate muffins :D :D :D ). there is a reason my power to weight ratio on hills is so bad :)

In Ballarat itself, a great selection of cakes (made on premise) at The Turret in Sturt St near the Hospital, coffee is VERY good; but

the best coffee and cakes are to be had at L'Espresso in Sturt St (cake selection is always broader on a Saturday rather than Sunday, also made in house).
Best Lemon Tart (made in house) at Europa Cafe a few doors down from L'Espresso, and
Best Breakfast at Cafe Lekker In Doveton St Nth opposite the RACV.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:54 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:OK, so if we are adding pies to the list...
Its a bakery which bakes pies as well as other goodies ... just called the Bakers Hill Pie Shop.

Andrew

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Aushiker wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote:OK, so if we are adding pies to the list...
Its a bakery which bakes pies as well as other goodies ... just called the Bakers Hill Pie Shop.

Andrew
Sorry Andrew,
no criticism intended. Pies are good fuel, and sausage rolls (although rifraf hasn't found any good ones) and definitely paella. i will keep an eye open for it, is the coffee good?

While I think of it, there is a cafe at the top of a hill/pass on the East coast of Tassie-it was years ago, but... :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:19 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:i will keep an eye open for it, is the coffee good?
I don't think I have had a coffee there; just grabbed an ice coffee but heading that way next month so will be sure to check :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 am

Tassie :idea:

Curried scallop pies at Richmond Bakery....... mmmmmmmmm

In SA, one of the best pie shops I encountered... no, the best, was the Stone Hut Bakery in the tiny village of Stone Hut. All varieties of game meats in their pies and they were delicious. I think I had the kangaroo pie.

Mandatory helmet law?

redned

Postby redned » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:37 pm

That's it!
After reading this thread I need to go for an early lunch.
Joes Cake Kitchen West Perth.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

+1 for Stonehut ... although a little hard to get to from Perth.

Besides Bakers Hill we also have the bakery at Bindoon as a lunch destination for cyclists and a favoured checkpoint for Audax. And I'll throw this one at you from my days of pedalling about with the Cycle Touring Assoc in WA:
Do we eat to cycle or cycle to eat?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:....Besides Bakers Hill we also have the bakery at Bindoon as a lunch destination for cyclists and a favoured checkpoint for Audax.
Ah yes, the Bindon Bakehaus. The building won a WA design award too.

and in the old building ...

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Another eaterie that was a stunner in Tassie. Not strictly a bakery - the White Sands Resort's Brewhaus Cafe was like a parallel universe after our night bush camping by the Lagoons Beach.

Mandatory helmet law?

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Tweed Coast Hinterland, Tyalgum back of Murwillumbah.
Flutterbies is a must do if tour cycling or randoneuring/audax in the GC Hinterland.
http://flutterbies.com.au/

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Up in the Dandenongs on the weekend (just east of Melbourne). Did a 40km loop from Berwick, up to Emerald and back via Harkaway to Berwick. A really lovely ride, would probably reverse the direction (like all the other cyclists we spotted had managed to do).

In Emerald, lovely little cafe: Cafe Red Box. Had a very tasty open wrap with lamb, salad and tatziki (could have almost called it a souva :)); big slabs of cake (including a Gluten Free Chocolate cake for Mrs C+W) and great coffee (9-9.5/10). Service was friendly and would certainly head back again.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Another great cafe - the Ruffy Produce Store. A regenerated old country general store in a tiny hamlet in the Strathbogie Ranges. They sell a range of local produce (jams, vinegars, wines, bread and the occasional fresh vegies) as well as their marvellous cakes, coffee and various meals.

Mandatory helmet law?