2012 Black Cat Awards

twizzle

Re: 2012 Black Cat Awards

Postby twizzle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Only 2 from the lead...
Seven in just over five weeks... bad trend, eh? And the 'refuse' was down to 40psi after sitting in the shed for a week, so there's something going on there as well.

I cleared up my (huge!) pile of tubes in the shed and cut the valves out of a pile of them that were past their use-by date - one had 8 patches on it! These dead ones will get dumped at work as frame protection for the racks. For the fixable ones, I will take a couple to work each day to patch while waiting for jobs to run. That should leave me with about eight new tubes for race use and about ten patched tubes for commute/training.

Sent from my iThingy.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:17 pm

+1, 19, a sliver of glass through the rear when taking the TT bike out for a test ride, I found the glass still stuck in the tube when I was rolling it up.

I am obviously luck-free at the moment. Although, all of the punctures have occurred since I ran out of the Panaracer "Extreme Duro" tyres, so perhaps it's nothing to do with luck.

Sent from my iThingy...

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 pm

Redbull wrote:+1, tiny bit of swarf had slowly worked its way through the rim tape a put a very small hole in the tube.

5 year to date
+1

TT bike - bloody continental tubes Grrrrrr.......
Still first one since April so not so bad

Total 6
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 pm

+2, 4 this year not sure about 1800km a flat only started tracking after these ones using sports tracks equipment list.

Beach road glass......
Last edited by steve-waters on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 pm

twizzle wrote:+1, 19
he he, I feel you nipping at my heels

I've still got zero flats on Pro3race....touch wood
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
twizzle wrote:+1, 19
he he, I feel you nipping at my heels

I've still got zero flats on Pro3race....touch wood
Bloody miracle!

I just received my shipment of Panaracer "Race Type D" tyres. Crossed fingers that this is the 2012 version of the "Extreme Duro".

Not adding to my tally either, but.... Last Tuesday I fitted new tyres to my 50mm front carbon and the "race" powertap (after cutting it up the day before). On Sat I pulled the front out and it was flat, when I'd left some air in it. There was a hole in the tube next to the valve, but no problems with the rim and I hadn't had a lever anywhere near it. Then on Sunday morning we missed the start of the TT ( :x ) so instead drove to Corin Road to climb up & over to the dam and back (44Km & about 900m of climbing, I think). I pumped the rear wheel and about three minutes later it popped off the rim and exploded.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:27 am

And... +1, 20. Front tyre was oozing sealant when I got home last night, first I knew was when the brakes played up from latex on the braking surface! This was my very old Mich Krylion front... I'm still using it, but it's got some sidewall damage where the rubber had cracked - I might have left in the in the shed a little too long! Anyway... cleaned it up, another tube and about 20ml of sealant, and all good to go.

While I had it apart, I pulled the noodle out of the V-brake and trimmed most of the the end off it so I can get the brake undone without undoing the cable or having to deflate the tyre to get the wheel on/off. (Mini-V's with STI shiters on my 'cross bike). Given how many punctures I've been having, it's probably a good idea to make the front wheel removable without excessive fiddling.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Dam, just as you had leveled with me

+1 = 21

Rear on the fixie got a flat on the DHBC fixie century.

The cause of the flat is the rim tape moving slightly exposing the edge of a valve hole. So I can't blame the tyres, bogans etc

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 am

Back again. +1, 21. Bogan bottle through the rear, I think I picked it up going around Parl. house, started going soft about half a K later, but I got to choose where I stopped for once - a pleasant change. *sigh* I'm getting sick of fixing flats. Once this tyre is dead (soon, it's pretty worn now), I'll fit a Type D and see how that goes.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:24 pm

7+1=8

Pretty cool one this time. I often commute up North Rocks Rd, but always have a pack on my back. So I thought I'd go for a ride up there at lunch. Got 9th on Strava :twisted: which I was very happy with. They're doing road works at the top and I went through a patch of gravel. I hit a stone about 1cm square and 1-2mm thick with a nice sharp side. It went straight through the GP4000s on the rear (I think the front flicked it up or something...) and straight through the tube. The cut on the tyre is straight across the tread. I know all of this as I found the stone completely inside the tube - it wasn't even visible from the outside of the tyre. I've never had that happen before.

Changed tube, pumped it back up, stuck a folded up $50 in the tyre to get back to work (only note I had!!!). Got to a servo to grab a puncture kit as the new tube seemed to be going down and for some stupid reason I wasn't carrying one. But to pay I had to flatten the tyre to get the $50 out! At least now it only has a $5 note in there :roll:

This is the second big slash on this tyre, and it's got 2,500km on it (though probably 50% tread thickness left). I might have to chuck it now.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Ozkaban wrote:and it's got 2,500km on it
I dream of getting that many k's out of a tyre!

... as opposed to my nightmare of roadside stops.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:and it's got 2,500km on it
I dream of getting that many k's out of a tyre!

... as opposed to my nightmare of roadside stops.
The funny thing was the previous tyres were conti ultra races. It had worn completely through to the purple belt under the tread within 1800km. They didn't stick as well either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 am

Embarrassed to admit it...2 flat ties for me this year...on the trainer :oops:

That Tacx virtual reality stuff really is very lifelike :wink:

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Still on 0 points...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Bugger,yet another one. I think I hit a nail as there was some nasty noises from the rear of the bike, I though I had broken a spoke to start with! Then the hissing noise started. :evil:

+1, 22.

Sent from my iThingy...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:31 pm

+1 hard to replace a Tufo from a sidewall cut the sealant could not completely fix

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 am

Seems like most of you folks are getting glass shards?

I rarely get a glass cut. They're 99% from stapling pins which really annoys me because it just pierces straight through my Mr Tuffy tyre liner :x
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:22 am

+1 = 23

Didn't have time to analyse why it went down. But it hasn't reflatted

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 am

moosterbounce wrote:Embarrassed to admit it...2 flat ties for me this year...on the trainer :oops:

That Tacx virtual reality stuff really is very lifelike :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:16 pm

Another one for me. First on the MTB though. I think that's 5 now

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:32 am

mikesbytes wrote:+1 = 23

Didn't have time to analyse why it went down. But it hasn't reflatted
Opps make that 22

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Picked up a puncture this afternoon. Bit of a glass beer bottle, just a small shard of it - sliced straight through the tyre and cut the tube... The shard was still stuck in the tyre when I stopped.

First I knew about it was the distinct SSSSS- SSSSS- SSSSS! And my argh f&*@ing hell.... :evil:

Make matters worse? I had all the equipment to fix it, except for the right tubes! :roll:

I forgot I had the tubes for my standard alloy wheels, not my carbon-clinchers with 50mm sections on the side. The valve stem didn't extend far enough for me to inflate it. :oops: I had to walk about 1.5km back. I won't do that again.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:34 am

g-boaf wrote: Make matters worse? I had all the equipment to fix it, except for the right tubes! :roll:
I forgot I had the tubes for my standard alloy wheels, not my carbon-clinchers with 50mm sections on the side. The valve stem didn't extend far enough for me to inflate it. :oops: I had to walk about 1.5km back. I won't do that again.
Been there done that. Though I didn't walk back, just got out the puncture kit and patched it on the side of the road. Now days it doesn't matter what valve length I have as I have a pair of valve extenders in my tool bottle and I highly recommend you do the same!

Ps don't forget to bring along the valve key, too
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 am

NhiTrac wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Make matters worse? I had all the equipment to fix it, except for the right tubes! :roll:
Been there done that. Though I didn't walk back, just got out the puncture kit and patched it on the side of the road. Now days it doesn't matter what valve length I have as I have a pair of valve extenders in my tool bottle and I highly recommend you do the same!

Ps don't forget to bring along the valve key, too
I will in future! :lol: I really hate walking in carbon-soled bike shoes! :oops:

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 am

1195 km's in the last 3 months and only managed to get a slow leak on the ride into work, pumped the tyre up, did a session at the velodrome and then rode home and fixed the flat when I got home! probably shouldn't have posted cause how i've jinxed my self :(