Garmin Edge 800 connection problem

nescius

Garmin Edge 800 connection problem

Postby nescius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi All, I have a problem with my Edge 800 and I wonder if anybody else has had the same issue and whether or not they were able to overcome it.

The problem: The unit is no longer recognised by my pc, I connect it to the computer via the usb cable like I always have in the past and the computer says something about the usb device having malfunctioned.

The history: My partner won the device at the Scody High Country Cycle Challenge in March this year and I claimed it as my own (thanks dear!). It had been working flawlessly up until early October when I participated in a particularly wet race. The unit worked immediately after the race but after the next ride (a day or two later) the problem appeared. The unit still charges via usb, and all other aspects of it appear to work as normal, I just can't get the data off it.

What I've tried: I tried different computers (pc/mac/laptop), different usb cables and usb ports, downloaded the latest drivers, tried connecting it while it is turned on and turned off.

What Garmin says: I can send it in and they will have a look ($38.50), then if it is deemed to be a manufacturing fault I can have it replaced... for $149. So if it is their fault, it will cost me a minimum of $187.50 to get it fixed. I didn't ask what would happen if it was deemed to be my fault, I guess I pay the $38.50 and they expect me to buy a new unit?

My questions are:
1. Has anybody had the same problem?
2. Has anybody who has had the problem been able to solve it without sending back to Garmin? and if so what was the solution?
3. Can anybody think of something that I haven't tried that might help?

Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Marty Moose

Re: Garmin Edge 800 connection problem

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Go to device manager, open the usb Ports and look for a little red cross on the port you sure Connected too. Right click and allow access this happened to me. Not sure why but it did fix the issue.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:13 pm

I had a similar problem where the memory got errors from unexpected shutdowns, and needed to reset the device as per the instruction on pg 52 of the manual under "I want to clear all the user data from my edge" (it deletes the user entered info but not the history)

1. Turn off device
2. Place your finger on the top left corner of the touchscreen
3. While holding your finger on the touchscreen turn on the device
4. Select "Yes"

You will need to set up your bike/s again (if it works) but otherwise it should fix the problem.

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Excellent! thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I get home, fingers crossed :D
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Alas, I have not had any success with either of the suggestions above :( Thanks anyway guys.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:52 pm

My Garmin started doing the same. Contact Garmin direct via the Australia website and request a warranty fix. Mine was replaced at no cost other then the cost to mail it to them

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Bummer, if those don't work only thing for it is to send it back to Garmin :( .

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:08 am

Had similar problem with my 705 after a little adventure in the rain and hail.

My computer(s) would not recognise the Garmin, but the Garmin would charge from the computer(s), at one stage the Garmin would not turn itself off after being disconnected.

Problem, corrosion on the mini USB connector on the Garmin.

Solution cleaned the USB connecter with fine nail file.

Working well ever since.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 pm

For future reference, if you ever suspect that you have gotten something wet that you shouldn't have, leave it in a jar of rice overnight.
It has saved a couple of memory sticks of mine so far after going through the wash.

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 am

Update: I had a few goes at cleaning the usb connector as suggested, it did look a bit corroded. It didn't work straight after I cleaned it, but it randomly started working on Wednesday when I plugged it in. I was using a different usb cable to the one I had been using to charge it previously, but I don't think the cable was the problem because my girlfriend was using that cable to upload her data from her edge 500. Anyway, it works now, thanks for all the suggestions :D

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:For future reference, if you ever suspect that you have gotten something wet that you shouldn't have, leave it in a jar of rice overnight.
It has saved a couple of memory sticks of mine so far after going through the wash.
And don't tell the warranty provider. Although a number of newer phone's have a water exposure tracer hidden inside.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.