Peugeot Aubisque mini reBuild

macca33

Peugeot Aubisque mini reBuild

Postby macca33 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 pm

G'day all. I've mentioned previously that I have owned a 1989 Peugeot PE10DW Aubisque since I was a young fella, but hadn't ridden it for a number of years because it was a tad too small for my adult form. Rather than have it sitting idly in the shed, I decided to give it a once over and will re-commission it as a second bike that I may use every once in a while for a bit of nostalgia!

The bike has a Shimano Exage 'Action' groupset (2 x 6) and whilst it isn't top-line, it all works fairly well. The original seatpost / seat went a long time ago and having had issues with obtaining a 23.8mm post, I had to resort to a 22mm thing, which was shimmed. This will be remedied, as I found a source for the correct diameter seatpost in the US. The body was a bit worn and torn - scratches and dirt, but it still rides well.

So, let's get into it...

Firstly, a bit of a look at 20+ years of condition...

Then, a quick disassemble - the bars were awful and rusted through in a couple of spots, so will be replaced. For anyone wondering, I didn't remove the BB, as it is almost new and wasn't necessary...

The obligatory cardboard 'spray booth' and a masked up frame. I ended up sanding back the entire frame (minus the branding) with 800-grit, then applied a few coats of gloss white, which were wet sanded using 1000-grit, finishing off with three coats of gloss clear. I masked off the branding, as I could not find anywhere to obtain a set of frame stickers. It does mean that the 20+ years of wear / knocks / chips / scratches will remain in full view with the branding, but it adds character....I think...

Now, to put it all back together (I cleaned up all the components and sourced new cables / outers - the old outers were awful!).....

As many would be aware, these Peugeots have some fairly imaginative headset / seatpost, etc, sizing. Luckily, my headset is 22.2mm, which is fairly common and allowed me to locate a better stem - up-angled, which will give me a bit more comfort on the bike, rather than the low 'looking over the front wheel' position I used to have. I'm waiting on the arrival of the US-sourced seatpost and a set of bars that my friendly LBS is getting in for me, then I'll post a few photographs of the completed article.

It certainly isn't a radically special bike, nor has this rebuild been overly technical - just the re-use of old parts after a clean-up and all in all, it was better to spend a little bit of coin and devote some time, rather than throw it on the hard-rubbish.

Now all I have to do is learn how to fit a cassette to a rear wheel, then my life will be complete.... 8)

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Velo13

Re: Peugeot Aubisque mini reBuild

Postby Velo13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am

Good work. I remember the Peugeots and Gitanes being "different" with respect to seatpoles etc. Keep us updated on your progress.

sunho

Postby sunho » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 am

any probs shifting?
The front deralleur looks quite far from the chainring.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 am

oh nice...love the 90s pugs...tubing is this HLE? anyone have any info about them?

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:05 am

You've done a nice job with the paint. Did you use a gun or can?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 am

vaeske wrote:oh nice...love the 90s pugs...tubing is this HLE? anyone have any info about them?
Stands for something like 'Haute Limite Elastique'.

You could try these:
http://retropeugeot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclespeugeot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jim

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 am

Nice! I've still got my '89 model Ventoux, first bike I bought new with my own money. I really must restore it before it's too late.....
I also have the 1989 Peugeot catalogue floating around somewhere, it's on my "to scan" list once I get access to a colour scanner!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:53 am

That's turned out really well, good work!

HLE is actually not bad (ask any fan of 80s/90s peugeots, they all get weird about their bikes :) ), as far as i know it's a manganese alloy, vaguely similar to Reynolds 530 but heavier (i think).

There were other types of tubing they used on the cheap stuff, i have an 88 Avoriaz which is "Carbolite" which is french for "Le Gaspipe" :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the positive responses all.

Sunho - it is partly the camera angle, but you are correct - it is higher than one would normally place it. I did have it lower, but it fouled - the FD has an awkward range of movement - as it moves outwards it travels down, then up (vertically) and the BioPace doesn't seem to help it. It shifts perfectly where it is now though, so go figure.

grantw - out of a can mate. It came up better than I expected - not 'shop' quality, but looks good enough.

cheers

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:59 am

Yea Exage front derailleurs and biopace rings make setup a little different but when they're set up right they will shift really well as you've found.

You can get really good results from rattlecans, prep is everything, and you obviously did a decent job of the prep, it shows.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm

once its built, put it in the peugeot appreciation thread!

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 pm

macca33 wrote:Thanks for the positive responses all.

grantw - out of a can mate. It came up better than I expected - not 'shop' quality, but looks good enough.

cheers
Looks great for a can, you must have rubbed a lot :)

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 pm

DavidI wrote:Nice! I've still got my '89 model Ventoux, first bike I bought new with my own money. I really must restore it before it's too late.....
I also have the 1989 Peugeot catalogue floating around somewhere, it's on my "to scan" list once I get access to a colour scanner!

It would be fantastic if you could - I only have access to the one on the cyclespeugeot / retropeugeot (cannot remember which) website and it is not a good scanned copy. If you do scan it, please let me know.

cheers

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:24 pm

vaeske wrote:oh nice...love the 90s pugs...tubing is this HLE? anyone have any info about them?
Past internet research would suggest it's at the lower end of tubesets. Better than Hi ten or carbolite (gas pipe) as peugot called it, but below CroMo, and heavy to boot. Japanese Shoguns called it Tangalloy, and malvern star callled it mangalloy, have even seen a low end tecnotrat frame with a manganese tube set.The only pug frame I ever had go through my shed was a reynolds 501, but the rear end was bent out shape.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks for posting that BRLVR, it jogged my memory, my 91 Iseran was actually labelled Mangalloy, so it wasn't just malvern star.

nsuttie

Postby nsuttie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm

I have a similar frame and intending to do basically the same as what you did, did you find it difficult to remove the headset? Ive taken out the stem nut but cant find the right sized tool to remove the headset. The tool that came in my tool kit is for 30mm or 32mm nuts however this one appears to be right between these two. Is it likely a 31mm nut or am I missing something? I also cant find a shifter that will expand to this size. Any help or other tips appreciated as am fairly new to this.

Cheers Adam

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:59 pm

nsuttie wrote:I have a similar frame and intending to do basically the same as what you did, did you find it difficult to remove the headset? Ive taken out the stem nut but cant find the right sized tool to remove the headset. The tool that came in my tool kit is for 30mm or 32mm nuts however this one appears to be right between these two. Is it likely a 31mm nut or am I missing something? I also cant find a shifter that will expand to this size. Any help or other tips appreciated as am fairly new to this.

Cheers Adam

G'day Adam - I cheated mate, I have a BIG shifter, so used that. You could get away with multigrips - if you are careful and if the nut isn't bound up - try some WD40 first.

As for 'tips' I'm not really au fait with the complexities of bicycle renewal (I've only ever fiddled here and there), so I simply went with the flow - pulled it apart carefully, taking photos as I did. With the painting, it is important to ensure your base is clean / dry / no oil, etc and to do this means a good wash and a rub back with sandpaper (I used 800-grit). Once you apply the coats of coloured spray paint (I used 3), rub it back with wet 1000-grit sandpaper, until it all feels smooth to touch. Then apply the clear coats - I used 3 coats. As I mentioned earlier - the paint isn't shop / manufacturer quality, but looks very acceptable and will do for the theme of this bike.

Be sure to put up some pics of your build.

cheers

munga

Postby munga » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:51 pm

i bought a big 'trojan' shifter for about $40 for such jobs. fits towballs too.

nsuttie

Postby nsuttie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 pm

Okay I've done the strip and clean steps, except for the headset of course, will try and borrow a big shifter tomorrow. I'm a little confused with the 'wet' sanding what does this mean? Is it the kind of sand paper? Also went to the hardware shop today and got primer and the paint, do I do 3 coats of primer followed by 3 coats of the paint? One more thing, when taping the decals did you try and get it as close to the decals as possible or can you notice the line between fresh paint and 20 year old paint?

Thanks for all the help

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:42 pm

nsuttie wrote:Okay I've done the strip and clean steps, except for the headset of course, will try and borrow a big shifter tomorrow. I'm a little confused with the 'wet' sanding what does this mean? Is it the kind of sand paper? Also went to the hardware shop today and got primer and the paint, do I do 3 coats of primer followed by 3 coats of the paint? One more thing, when taping the decals did you try and get it as close to the decals as possible or can you notice the line between fresh paint and 20 year old paint?

Thanks for all the help

Wet sanding means just that, use water and wet the sandpaper, making sure there is plenty of water involved during the sanding process.

I didn't prime my frame because I cleaned and sanded back the original painted surface prior to the first coat - modern spray paint sticks well to a clean, pre-painted surface anyway.

With the decals, I tried to get close with the masking but there were lines. To minimise their appearance, I 'wet' sanded the transitions areas, rubbing them back to blend as best I could. There is a slight difference, which is noticeable, but it isn't stand-out noticeable.

After all that, I sprayed the three coats of gloss celar over the entire frame.

cheers

munga

Postby munga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:06 am

wet sanding needs wet&dry sandpaper (the dark grey stuff, not the brown stuff).

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 pm

munga wrote:wet sanding needs wet&dry sandpaper (the dark grey stuff, not the brown stuff).

Yes, very true munga- I should have been more specific - my bad.

cheers

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 am

A bit more from today. I decided to go another way with the stem as the black one looked a tad odd, so, I bought a 22.2mm to 1 1/8" adaptor and a nice second-hand Cannondale angled stem from Bicycle Recycle, then fitted them, bars and brake levers, wrapping them up in nice blue bar tape.

Couldn't help but take it for a quick spin up and down the driveway and it feels good. Now waiting on the seatpost from the US, then it'll be time for its maiden voyage.

cheers

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 am

I particularly like the nostalgic rear reflector :)
Really nice job though, in seriousness.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Well, I received the last piece of the puzzle from Yellow Jacket Cycles in the US today - 24.0mm alloy seatpost - and it slid in perfectly!!!

The seat is a bit dubious at present, but may stay as it'll be a bit of a 'fun' bike anyway.

Thanks for all of the comments too - they are much appreciated. Now, to get out and roll the pedals over on it a little! :D

cheers