Stupid question?

mithba

Stupid question?

Postby mithba » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey guys, new to the forum, new to cycling but it's always been a part of the family as my Grandad was quite a good cyclist (Australian champion a couple of times and selected for the Helsinki Olympics)

So I bought a old road bike at an auction a few months ago and have started cycling to and from work (13km one way). I've got a couple of questions.

1) I do the ride in about 25 minutes on the way there and 35 on the way back (head wind), is this a decent time for a beginner?

2) On the way home I ride down Welshpool Rd from Albany Hwy towards Sevenoaks. It is a dual carriageway and I need to turn right onto Sevenoaks. Where should I be cycling down this road? Currently I sit on the right hand side of the right lane, I am pretty sure this is not the right place to sit as I am about 50cm from oncoming traffic doing 70kph.

The main reason I sit there is because its a nightmare trying to change lanes at 4:15pm and the path down the side is covered in glass.

Pretty keen to get in to cycling, health-wise its amazing. Getting a new bike for x-mas, will be a secondhand but still new to me and plan to start doing some longer rides.

Cheers for the help

Mitch

jlh

Re: Stupid question?

Postby jlh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Mitch,

I'm fairly new to riding as well. I'd say depending on your existing level of fitness, bike, etc, those times are fine for starting out and if it includes traffic delays, etc. Avg speed works out to be 31.2 kph going to work and 22.3 kph going home.

Not sure about the riding down Welshpool rd, but have you considered riding down orrong rd (or the less busy street near it - surrey rd?)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Mitch,

sure you won't be getting selected for the Olympics in Rio, but an overall average of 26 km/h is a reasonable start.

It has been 15 years since I lived in Perth & things hav changed a lot, but I am not sure I would be keen to ride down Welshpool Rd. If I did I wouldn't be sitting in the right hand side of the right lane - not because of the proximity of cars going the other way, but because it will invite cars to squeeze past you on the left hand side of the lane rather than changing lanes.

I would be thinking either centre of the right hand lane, or if there is oil there, in the left hand wheel line of the right lane - not too far to the left or some lunatic will try the same stunt down the right :shock: This is what people mean when they say claim the lane - make it so that a car has to use the other lane to pass you, rather than trying to share the space you are in.

When you come to turn right, a big arm out so that some knob doesn't try overtaking you over the unbroken centre line.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:24 pm

I would be for one riding down Rutland Ave which then crosses and gets onto Railway PDE once you cross welshpool Rd. I myself much prefer to ride Railway Pde as opposed to Sevenoaks. Much wider and less traffic.
Railway pde is on the other side of the railway line compared with sevenoaks.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

tomness

Postby tomness » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:56 pm

I agree with Baalzamon. Rutland Ave / Railway Pde is a much better option than Sevenoaks, Welshpool Rd or Orrong Rd. Much less traffic and a lot safer IMO.

On Railway Pde there is a shared path as well, which usually has minimal pedestrian traffic, except when a train has just unloaded. The only real problem I have with this route is the amount of glass that the local beeranderthals seem to feel needs to be distributed evenly across the path.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I would be for one riding down Rutland Ave which then crosses and gets onto Railway PDE once you cross welshpool Rd. I myself much prefer to ride Railway Pde as opposed to Sevenoaks. Much wider and less traffic.
Railway pde is on the other side of the railway line compared with sevenoaks.
agreed!

mithba

Postby mithba » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:36 pm

Yeah I see what you mean, my current route is this

Station St.
R (AT) Railway Pde
L (AT) Wharf St
R (AT) Sevenoaks St
L (AT) Welshpool Rd
Over onto Albany Hwy
Cross the causeway
R (AT) Hay St (roundabout)
R (AT) Hale St
R (AT) Nelson Cr
I work at Gloucester Park.

Sorry to be a pain but where would you guys cross the river?

Thanks for your help.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:04 pm

mithba wrote:Yeah I see what you mean, my current route is this

Station St.
R (AT) Railway Pde
L (AT) Wharf St
R (AT) Sevenoaks St
L (AT) Welshpool Rd
Over onto Albany Hwy
Cross the causeway
R (AT) Hay St (roundabout)
R (AT) Hale St
R (AT) Nelson Cr
I work at Gloucester Park.

Sorry to be a pain but where would you guys cross the river?

Thanks for your help.
Man you have it easy
Look at this
That is what I would do. Go try it out on the weekend
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mithba

Postby mithba » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Ill give it a shot on the way home tomorrow, Shouldn't have to worry about too much traffic or anything then. Pulling a 15hour shift so I wont finish till close to midnight.

Cheers for the help.

Mitch