How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Comedian

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Commuted via Cootha and watched the eclipse with the gathered throng. :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:59 pm

First commute after a few weeks off. Took the short way and was slow. Hoping the rain holds off for my 11pm finish.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Crawf wrote: Bigger pics man!
Will do, looking for the perfect backdrop en route to take the shots - stand by :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Fast commute home tonight even though I was meant to be taking it easy - got in some good 3-way CCR action for a change :) Me vs a guy on a road bike and a man-mountain on a hard tail mtb. Couldn't drop the mtb on the hills and he drafted on the flats. Guy on the roadie made a comment at the end about us all working hard, although I was trying to hide it as much as possible :) I think the guy on the mtb had more muscle than I have of me...

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:42 pm

Fastish ride for me too... Wasn't trying for them but managed to get a few 2nd positions on some Strava segments.. real ones too - segments with more than ten minutes of riding. Quite surprised.

EDIT: I should clarify, the short sprint segments are fun too. Interval training for commuters.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 am

Multi-hop commute back yesterday. Felt sluggish after a parma lunch to celebrate a colleague's birthday.
Cool this morning, good ride into the Melbourne CBD.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:20 am

Kenzo wrote:Fastish ride for me too...
No ill effects from your crash, I take it ... good to hear.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:24 am

Got my first Strava KOM yesterday, http://app.strava.com/rides/27762327#498942023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , seemed the planets aligned themselves enough for me to give it a good go.

Given I had done roughly 260 k's riding already, I feel pretty chuffed about it

Another overcast bleak looking day again, ride itself was uneventful, just happy not to get rained on.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am

Hey guys new poster here, just picked up a road bike the other day and did my first commute yesterday. 28km in Rockingham, WA. Felt really good afterwards and all day.
So sore today, in the good kind of way.
Really looking forward to more. I was really happy with the ride too, everyone gave me heaps of room and gave way for me at intersections. Everyone was in a very good mood yesterday.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am

Nice little commute in via Redcliffe this morning. :). Magic morning to be alive and in the outdoors riding a bike.

It's starting to get warmer though... Two water bottles time.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Glorious ride through the countryside this morning, just wish I had more time to avoid the one country town I go through due to all the broken glass in the bike lane.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Perth:

Got hit for the first time in decades this morning. Along the RSP between Cranford Ave and the Canning River. Not a total surprise as I have been aware of and wary of the spot for a few weeks. And not a very hard impact, sort of a glance rather than a penetration.

It did not draw any blood at the time but I found when I got to work the tiniest smidgeon of clot. Sure enough, in the mirror a small but obvious scratch.

A good reason to wear sunnies.

EDITED IN LATE - APOLOGIES - i MANT TO INDICATE THAT IT WAS A MAGGIE. (hence the sunnies refererence.)DUH!
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

Got hit for the first time in decades this morning. Along the RSP between Cranford Ave and the Canning River. Not a total surprise as I have been aware of and wary of the spot for a few weeks. And not a very hard impact, sort of a glance rather than a penetration.

It did not draw any blood at the time but I found when I got to work the tiniest smidgeon of clot. Sure enough, in the mirror a small but obvious scratch.

By a magpie I gather? 8o

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Comedian wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perth:

By a magpie I gather? 8o
Oh, I see what he did there. I was thinking "Gee ColinOnC is one tough guy"

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Yes, it was a maggie. One can come unstuck too easily on th eweb.

I wonder if this whole story belongs in the MHL thread. :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I got done my a maggie this morning....I've been dodging the manic maggie on Logan Rd for a couple of months now but thought that he'd be retired for the year...but no, he got me!
I was the third cyclist to go past and he ignored the other two and went for me.... :evil:
Lisa

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:37 am

Another nice commute this morning. A bit of a headwind, but nothing too drastic. Not too many utes and vans either which always a good sign. Quite a few taxis though. :evil:

PS. The resident magpie, who would swoosh past my head over the past 2 months seems to be finally gone!

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 am

First scenic route commute back yesterday afternoon since the crash four weeks ago. Rode the MYT/Darebin Trail Combo. Amazing how quickly one loses ones hill climbing fitness.
Cool start this morning, with patches of light rain.
Happy Friday! :D

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

BNE: Yesterday at 810am on my extended commute past Nudgee College on Sandgate Rd, a parent appeared to be dropping off his son at the old front entrance. There's a clear yellow line (meaning no stopping) all along here, and the school has specific entrances for drop offs. It's also supposed to be a bicycle lane.

I yelled "oyyy.....no stopping" as I passed....the guy caught up to me at lights a km up the road and asked what my problem was. Told him a yellow line meant "no stopping plus it was a bike lane", and got the predictable 'F-off' back, which I retorted in kind. So he gets out of the car with aggressive intent, and rushes around into my face, and gives me a mouthful at close range, then threatened to smash my head in. I said "I've got your rego number, and you better be sure Nudgee College are going to here about this." He backed off then after giving a few more foffs. As he was walking away, a mate of Womble II's came along (wearing his metre matters jersey) and asked if all was ok....said he'd seen this guy get out of the car and come at me threateningly, and stand right in my face. All this time, I honestly didn't feel any fear, and straddled my bike as he came at me. I suppose that was my anger overriding a more rational response. (several cyclists I know have been pushed over and set on by irate motorists in the last 6 mths, damaging body and bike)

That afternoon, I reported to police and Nudgee College. The school was understanding about it, and said they'd put out a reminder in the next newsletter and make announcements at assemblies re not stopping there. Told QPS I was happy if they just phoned the guy and - warned him, tell him to learn the road rules, and don't come to the attention of police again. They thought that was very reasonable.

Next time someone is stopped there, I'll stop behind the car and get some video and take to police.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:11 pm

First Saturday and first really early (5am) commute in a long time. Was fun taking all the main roads the whole way - 24 minutes instead of 30+ :)

Barely made it home after finishing up before a massive storm hit. We had 40mm in about 10 minutes here, plus at one point the lightening was like that scene out of war of the worlds :shock:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Perth:

On Tuesday got struck by a swooping maggie. Minor graze and a drop of blood. All fine.

Then this morning someone not focussed enough on his riding took me out. Got a decent cut on my foot and buggered trip meter but otherwise ok.

My dad's generation would have said I killed a chinaman. Or I walked under a ladder. Or a black cat crossed my path. Or I broke a mirror.

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Managed to leave work early on Friday and took the scenic route from Nedlands to home via Applecross,Attadale,Bicton,Fremantle,Coogee and Spearwood! :D All up 48km with a nasty SSW headwind all the way!Not a pretty number on the "speedo" but thoroughly enjoyable way to end Friday! :wink:
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:25 am

Uneventful ride back on Friday.
Cool start in Melbourne this morning, but clear and dry. Ever since DST started in early October, the lights don't seem to be going in my favour anymore. Must investigate some alternative routes for the morning rides where there are less intersections.

J-Tim

Postby J-Tim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:29 am

Lovin' the weather this morning, no wind, no UTEs. I need more of those!

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:14 pm

winstonw wrote:BNE: Yesterday at 810am on my extended commute past Nudgee College on Sandgate Rd, a parent appeared to be dropping off his son at the old front entrance. There's a clear yellow line (meaning no stopping) all along here, and the school has specific entrances for drop offs. It's also supposed to be a bicycle lane.

I yelled "oyyy.....no stopping" as I passed....the guy caught up to me at lights a km up the road and asked what my problem was. Told him a yellow line meant "no stopping plus it was a bike lane", and got the predictable 'F-off' back, which I retorted in kind. So he gets out of the car with aggressive intent, and rushes around into my face, and gives me a mouthful at close range, then threatened to smash my head in. I said "I've got your rego number, and you better be sure Nudgee College are going to here about this." He backed off then after giving a few more foffs. As he was walking away, a mate of Womble II's came along (wearing his metre matters jersey) and asked if all was ok....said he'd seen this guy get out of the car and come at me threateningly, and stand right in my face. All this time, I honestly didn't feel any fear, and straddled my bike as he came at me. I suppose that was my anger overriding a more rational response. (several cyclists I know have been pushed over and set on by irate motorists in the last 6 mths, damaging body and bike)

That afternoon, I reported to police and Nudgee College. The school was understanding about it, and said they'd put out a reminder in the next newsletter and make announcements at assemblies re not stopping there. Told QPS I was happy if they just phoned the guy and - warned him, tell him to learn the road rules, and don't come to the attention of police again. They thought that was very reasonable.

Next time someone is stopped there, I'll stop behind the car and get some video and take to police.
Nice work - your write up conveyed the situation very well - I felt the anger welling up within me when you described him 'in your face'.

Ride today had quite a few sections with leaf litter, gravel, sand and mud along the ride in today.
Had a fastish guy on a singlespeed 'catch' me (at Klumpp Rd / Griffith Uni drive) and I just followed him in until Stones Corner (did not draft - mostly sat about five or six metres off his wheel). Impressive stuff... SingleSpeed, 26" slicks, mudguards, lights.

No PBs on Strava... I was feeling a bit sluggish - maybe it was too humid to hammer.