Arena/PEC rail bridge

Aushiker

Re: Arena/PEC rail bridge

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:40 am

PortableDave wrote:Thanks Andrew, any date given when this should be ready by?
No idea sorry. Roland is probably a better person to give you some idea.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Roland's suggestion for avoiding the Wellington Street diversion ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKOeR_03W8&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Roland's suggestion for avoiding the Wellington Street diversion ...
Seems like a bit of effort for not much gain, especially with the humps. What on earth was the mong in the blue car doing?

Nice to see you waiting for the green light too - it's rare to see that in Perth CBD!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Roland's suggestion for avoiding the Wellington Street diversion ...
Seems like a bit of effort for not much gain
I lost about ten minutes last night covering the reverse direction. I'll be trying Roland's Route shortly
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Thoglette wrote:I lost about ten minutes last night covering the reverse direction. I'll be trying Roland's Route shortly
Is good. Two traffic lights and one tricky road crossing avoided. The exit grade is quite steep, so don't forget to gear down!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Having had a go myself now, i retract my previous statement :twisted:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 am

Thoglette wrote: I'll be trying Roland's Route shortly
West bound is not so good due to the PSP being closed under the freeway - the road is one way (eastbound) and the paving on the southside almost non-existant (about 300mm) in places with no on/off ramps.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 am

I have been using the car park ever since "fixed" alerted us to the possibility - seems to work ok, a bit tricky in the evening when there are events.... I hope the path on the North side becomes the final option, but currently there are all kinds of vehicles using that stretch, and I do not quite see how it will fit in at the Eastern end.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:16 am

rolandp wrote:Me, I hop of the PSP around where it joins Market St, ride along Market St to the now opened underground car park at the Arena. Ride through the undergound car park, where there is an other exit on the other side, which takes you to Milligan St - it is basically the direction indicated in Red above, except that you are riding through the underground carpark.
And a different twist to the above, if you don't like passing your bike under/around the boom-gates at either end, see below video:

Have you also noticed the red/green lights in the car-park?
The led light turns red when a car is parked in the bay.

At an additional cost of $54M for the car park, that works out at $180,000 per bay so you expect the finest, but here are a couple of observations:
Some traffic light sensors don't work for bikes, but the arena boom gate sensor does (as shown in the image) - shouldn't MainRoads be using the same standard for traffic light sensors to make sure they do work for bikes.
Several sections of the PSP are unlit and yet the Arena has fancy lights to locate vacant car bays - why can't the PSP have fancy lights to make it safer
Potentially the car park is closed (or at least one entrance/exit), the boom gates/humps removed and cyclists use this until the PSP is re-installed. Have a look at the video, there is only a handful of cars using the car park for non-events at the moment, compared to the 1,200 cyclists per day and the section running on the northern end of the railway line carries 700 cyclists per day ** figures taken from MRA's Master Plan

We still live in a car priority CBD in Perth.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 pm

rolandp wrote:Some traffic light sensors don't work for bikes, but the arena boom gate sensor does (as shown in the image) - shouldn't MainRoads be using the same standard for traffic light sensors to make sure they do work for bikes.
I can't tell from the video - are the sensors in the car park the same as those used on the roads?

All traffic light sensors should work for bikes. If you have issues with specific sensors then report them to MRWA. With any infrastructure network there will be bugs and/or legacy issues that take time and money to fix.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Any response yet from CoP/MRWA why there are no cycle lanes?

wexford

Postby wexford » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 pm

This morning there was a fellow with a clipboard sitting by the ramp down into the carpark who called out and flagged me down as I approached. At first I thought he was doing some kind of cycling commuting survey when he asked where I was from, then realised that he was doing site sign ins/sign outs. When I told him I was just taking a shortcut he said (politely) that I couldn't ride through there.

I didn't want to make a scene so I just told him "sure, no dramas" and backtracked then went around via the detour.

Perhaps if there's work in progress, and no events on, they don't like random members of the public wandering through the work site? Fair enough I guess. But I do wish they'd complete the northern side and restore the PSP.

In the meantime, the City West section is now closed off with a short detour while some chicanes are installed. Hopefully that will slow a few of the idiots, including myself, down.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Just when I'd added the carpark to openstreetmap.
I'll have to look up the tag for boomgates and men with clipboards now.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm

On the topic of bicycles and Perth Arena, perthcyclist has a look at bike parking at the Arena.

Andrew

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:32 pm

mikedufty wrote:Just when I'd added the carpark to openstreetmap.
I'll have to look up the tag for boomgates and men with clipboards now.
Well, I'm still travelling eastbound through the carpark every day.

Westbound I've reverted to Wellington as both the south side "foot path" and the PSP are closed.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image
Andrew
The fencing has moved by 90deg last week:

I'm hopeful that they have finished installing the tiles on this section of The Arena, and finally they can open up this section of the shared path - just need to install around 10m of PSP to connect it to the road.

Save me cycling through the car park each morning.

MainRoads is also reporting:
PSP Market St re-opens 25-Apr-2013
PSP Arena West - opens 26-Apr-2013

So with the Northern section (photo above) and the PSP Arena West due to be completed soon, we will be spoilt for choice, though I haven't seen a single spade in the ground for the PSP Arena West section yet (still got 19 days to go).

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 am

rolandp wrote:
So with the Northern section (photo above) and the PSP Arena West due to be completed soon, we will be spoilt for choice, though I haven't seen a single spade in the ground for the PSP Arena West section yet (still got 19 days to go).
.... and hopefully in the next couple of years???? we will get a path on the Northern side of the railway in that area (Thomas to Milligan), which should remove some of the traffic from around the City West PSP and the Arena.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
rolandp wrote:
.... and hopefully in the next couple of years???? we will get a path on the Northern side of the railway in that area (Thomas to Milligan), which should remove some of the traffic from around the City West PSP and the Arena.
There has been some work going on along Roe/Railway Street. They have laid brown bitumen on the West side of Sutherland Street (on the South side of Railway St) and blocked off the turning lane on Roe St with a kerb. All indications are that this is for the Thomas to Milligan connection. See the line in blue:

When is the old footbridge at Milligan being removed? That is blocking the Roe Street path connection, so they may be timing it for when that gets cleared.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 pm

From MRA earlier this week
MRA’s works in the Milligan Street precinct are nearing completion, with the first stage of the pedestrian land bridge that will eventually connect to Roe Street almost complete. The final connection will be made in 2015. The land bridge features a terraced landscaped area and public art, including steel cloud artworks by Jon Tarry and a temporary canvas of indigenous art designed by Kidogo Artist Group.
Thanks for passing on your observations. Interesting. Wonder why that don't put out public announcements on these things as they do for other works (eg above paste).

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:30 pm

The view from Roe St West towards the Sutherland St underpass. The new bitumen can be seen on the other side of the lights.
P.S. I passed hundreds of stationary cars here this morning :mrgreen: Sutherland & Roe St's were a carpark. Why oh why do these people waste their time and money :?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

rolandp wrote:[I'm hopeful that they have finished installing the tiles on this section of The Arena, and finally they can open up this section of the shared path - just need to install around 10m of PSP to connect it to the road.
This morning someone's compacting roadbase behind the curtain....

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Any idea what they are going to do at the intersection, will there be a bridge, or just an separate light sequence for bikes or something?

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 pm

mikedufty wrote:Any idea what they are going to do at the intersection, will there be a bridge, or just an separate light sequence for bikes or something?
Great question, you should have heard me at the meeting :)
We are recommending grade separation, but who knows what will finally happen :(

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 am

Thoglette wrote:
rolandp wrote:[I'm hopeful that they have finished installing the tiles on this section of The Arena, and finally they can open up this section of the shared path - just need to install around 10m of PSP to connect it to the road.
This morning someone's compacting roadbase behind the curtain....
Good news as when I went through around 7:00am on Friday, a small cherry picker was out again.

Captured this image on Thursday night:

I ride home this way 99% of the times I don't recall seeing it lit up before, which lead to me thinking, where are the fire exits to The Arena? Could they be located on the shared path section which has been blocked and we have been patiently been waiting to be opened since The Arena opened up around 6 months ago? Scary thought, hope this is not the case.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:12 pm

The work on the Arena PSP seems to have started. Main Roads' contractors have closed the nearside Freeway off slip lane and are working at the Wellington Street end.