Cyclocross

ldrcycles

Re: Cyclocross

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:44 pm

chriscole wrote: *bounce* *bounce* :-)
Haha, i know exactly what you mean, love that feeling :D
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Am I alone ?... I don't have a pit crew and I don't have two or 3 bikes, although I do have my mtb that I could sit on the side lines but it is 4 or 5 kilos heavier than my cx bike and no where near as fast apart from the really techy bits.
So my problem is my 10 speed set up is fine at the start but half way through a race ( or even before that ) it starts skipping around when it gets full of grass and crap.
My solution :oops: ... I went out and got a 9 speed chain and 12-27 9 speed cassette that I am going to fit with a 9 speed Ultegra shifter I have lying round. 9 speed is ancient but much more reliable ( IMHO )... lets hope it works, if not it will just go onto the winter bike.
I aiming to race Sat & Sun this weekend, the weather is going to be very wet so will be a good test.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:46 am

chriscole wrote: Now can someone please organise some CX races in Canberra??? ;)
CORC are considering running races next year, start emailing them.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 am

toolonglegs wrote:Am I alone ?... I don't have a pit crew and I don't have two or 3 bikes...
Well if your family aren't there, I'd say yes. :wink:
toolonglegs wrote:So my problem is my 10 speed set up is fine at the start but half way through a race ( or even before that ) it starts skipping around when it gets full of grass and crap.
My solution :oops: ... I went out and got a 9 speed chain and 12-27 9 speed cassette that I am going to fit with a 9 speed Ultegra shifter I have lying round. 9 speed is ancient but much more reliable ( IMHO )... lets hope it works, if not it will just go onto the winter bike.
I aiming to race Sat & Sun this weekend, the weather is going to be very wet so will be a good test.
Should do a better job. I'm still running 8 speed on the MTB.

I'll assume you know this, but I find applying a heavier, oil based wet lube liberally (without wiping off) before a wet MTB ride helps to keep things going. It seems to work better in oil-shed mode.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 am

Yeah but Cyclocross isn't MTB'ing... I rarely see a trail, they set us up in paddocks and parks... grass and mud. Oil doesn't do much with that much crap in the derailleur.

Ended up putting a 11 / 34 9 spped on :D ... no stopping me now.
PS... my wife has only once seen me race a bike in 20 years :oops: ... I won a big race in NZ that day... always trying to get her to come a 2nd time :lol: .

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:56 pm

What no deep dish carbon tubs?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Who me?... Quite simple €€€
I would love tubs... My wheels are heavy... Due to Michelin protek tubes, super heavy and have sealant in them. But at my weight I will never win a cx race so it is just for fun and motivation in winter... So finishing mechanical free on the same lap as the winner is the aim :-) .
Running clinchers does have one advantage though... You can get tyres 35c and bigger. Tubs are all made to fit with in UCI rules.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yeah but Cyclocross isn't MTB'ing... I rarely see a trail, they set us up in paddocks and parks... grass and mud. Oil doesn't do much with that much crap in the derailleur.
:shock: Um, yeah. I can see that now. A half chainguard may have limited the damage (for single chainwheel) but may have introduced other interesting problems...
toolonglegs wrote:Ended up putting a 11 / 34 9 spped on :D ... no stopping me now.
PS... my wife has only once seen me race a bike in 20 years :oops: ... I won a big race in NZ that day... always trying to get her to come a 2nd time :lol: .
Yes, seems to be a common situation.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

I'm probably in exactly the same boat, need to drop another 5kg immediately to have much of a chance.

I don't think I'll have to worry about that level of mud in any cross race here in Perth, it's never really wet enough to generate that much mud. The local clubs here seem to have most of their races in the sand and gravel.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm probably in exactly the same boat, need to drop another 5kg immediately to have much of a chance.

I don't think I'll have to worry about that level of mud in any cross race here in Perth, it's never really wet enough to generate that much mud. The local clubs here seem to have most of their races in the sand and gravel.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:37 pm

You can say that again...oh wait,...you already did. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:26 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Yeah but Cyclocross isn't MTB'ing... I rarely see a trail, they set us up in paddocks and parks... grass and mud. Oil doesn't do much with that much crap in the derailleur.
:shock: No room for a derailleur among all that gunge. Is 1x a big thing in CX these days?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:46 pm

I ran a single front chain ring for one race... there are a few people doing it. But you need to run a chain guide to be sure of it staying on!.
I could get away with it usually. Most races I never get out of the 38 so don't really need the 46.
Did 70 kms today on the 38/46 11-34 ... actually wasn't too bad. Climbed mainly in the big ring today and didn't really get near the top of the cassette... a 38 / 34 will get me up anything :lol: ...although at that gearing running would be quicker ( but I hate getting off the bike! ).

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Is 1x a big thing in CX these days?
There's a bit. There will be more with the new SRAM XX1. If I win Tatts the new bike would probably be single ring.

chriscole, a few people run Time but there's more Spuds, possibly because people already have them. Once they're full of mud and you've run through kitty litter, nothing clears real well. :lol: I'd suggest mtb shoes with toe studs and aggressive tread if you can find them cos it helps both in mud and running uphill.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

grasshopper wrote: I'd suggest mtb shoes with toe studs and aggressive tread if you can find them cos it helps both in mud and running uphill.
Shoes not too stiff though - leave your carbon MTB race shoes at home. You've gotta be able to run in them, more than you're ever likely to on a MTB race/ride.

My first CX race, I had too tall a gear on (singlespeed), and had to run a lot of mud pits. I got more blisters in that 45 minutes than I got walking the Overland Track in Tasmania. Those shoes really weren't meant for any action other than pedalling.

tim

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:15 pm

Keeping an eye out for a set of MTB shoes on special at the moment, the old roadie shoes are no good even for my practicing of dismounts and remounts.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:02 pm

Visiting the jet wash to clean off the blood and mud!.
New 9 speed setup was flawless and the extra climbing gearing was very handy ( still had to run some slippery sections ). I think may have even used the 38 / 34 a bit as well.
Tried out the new tyres as well... 35c Conti's. Definately a bit more volume but I think I was missing the aggressive knobs. The fastest guy was on very chunky tubulars!.
Also the swissstop green pads were a big step up in braking.
PS Ksyrium front took an enormous impact head on into a boulder... held up well!.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm

What size is your chainring? Looks tiny from where im sitting.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 pm

I am running a 46 / 38 combo on the front... sorely missed the big ring on Sunday, that will teach me not to change rear derailleur outer from the muddy race the day before :oops: .
Two 1 hour cyclocross races in a weekend is a bit heavy for me at the moment :lol: .
The 46 does ok on the road but I have been spinning out in the 46/11 on a few flat strava segments :) .
Still confused as to how one of my rear brake blocks ended up in the spokes on a run section on Sundays race, they are adjusted pretty high... fair bit of flex in the Kysrium rear wheel may be the problem... might try and pick up a tougher rear wheel this week... especially as next Saturdays race has two ditch crossings, one of which I think I could jump, the other no chance!.
Also think I will be ditching the Conti tyre on the rear at least, it lacks big knobs for traction on the pinch climbs... back to the drawing board on that one!.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm

You spin out a 46x11!!!!

That's 111" gear. Thats bigger than a 53x13. It should be good for at least 65km/hr plus.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:14 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:You spin out a 46x11!!!!

That's 111" gear. Thats bigger than a 53x13. It should be good for at least 65km/hr plus.
Seated long efforts... about 110 rpm is too high for me, once in the mid to high 50's I am definately searching for another gear.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Realized while carry my bike around on my shoulders that the underside of the top tube is not flat... yeah it looks pretty but what is the point of having a "triangle" cross section on the underside :roll: ... makes running with bike on the shoulder painful!.
Pretty dumb design mistake guys!.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Ha!! When I picked up the caadx the keen young sales guy actually told me it had a carry friendly top tube. I obviously looked more hard core than I am...or did I look so in-hard core that he thought I'd walk most hills!! :shock:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Ha!! When I picked up the caadx the keen young sales guy actually told me it had a carry friendly top tube. I obviously looked more hard core than I am...or did I look so in-hard core that he thought I'd walk most hills!! :shock:
I think you're reading into it too much.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:26 am

Nobody wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Ha!! When I picked up the caadx the keen young sales guy actually told me it had a carry friendly top tube. I obviously looked more hard core than I am...or did I look so un-hard core that he thought I'd walk most hills!! :shock:
I think you're reading into it too much.
Nope. Got on the scales today :(

Seriously though, I was actually considering trying a race as it looks fun. Perhaps not this summer though as I've never raced and have only ridden a mtb on dirt twice in my life. I reckon I need a bit of practice before mixing it with real people. I'll be greatful for a well shaped top tube. Don't we all like well shaped tubes? :wink: