Dry Ice

hiflange

Dry Ice

Postby hiflange » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:16 am

Hey,
I want to try dry ice down the seat tube to release a stuck seatpost in a vintage frame. Knowing I had some work in Welshpool this arvo I called BOC Gas & Gear Welshpool this morning to see if they sold it - yep, they sell it, just bring your esky or whatever -all good. Except when I got there at 2:30pm I get the blank stare aaannnd "nah mate, run out"

BOC are a real hike from both work and home for me, does anyone know where else I can buy dry ice? Sellers of dry ice apparently have insignificant to zero contact with the interwebs and google

Thanks, Rob

WestcoastPete

Re: Dry Ice

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:25 am

Can't help with the source of dry ice, but interested to hear if it works...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 am

BOC Gas and Gear have other outlets at Malaga and Canning Vale.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 am

R12RT wrote:BOC Gas and Gear have other outlets at Malaga and Canning Vale.
Thanks, the BOC outlets are roughly equidistant from me - all of them represent a 40km round trip, long way to go if they've just run out. I'll either phone immediately prior to going or try this mob in Myaree who sell dry ice for blasting.

Edit; just called them, min quantity 10kg at $6/kg :(

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:09 pm

LiteNeasy and similar products are delivered weekly along with a plastic bag filled with about half a kilo of dry ice. If someone you know uses liteNeasy it'll probably be the cheapest way of getting some dry ice.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks for the tip. I think my folks occasionally get LiteNEasy delivered

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Have you tried a chemist. My GP has used dry ice or maybe that was liquid nitrogen to remove ticks before so maybe be able to get something at the chemist.

Andrew

MyNameIsNoone

Postby MyNameIsNoone » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:03 pm

First up can't help with the dry ice.
Second up I don't know if this works (good post so far!), but maybe try some of the wart/veruca removal stuff that you can get from the chemist. Not cream, but some remedies are an aerosol spray that you attach a sort of cotton bud to which you then press against the wart to freeze off.

I think this is some sort of liquid nitrogen solution or some kind of liquid/gas freezer. Maybe this might work on the bike?? Might be easier to apply too given it's designed to be applied to a small specific area.

Good luck

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 am

RobertFrith wrote: Edit; just called them, min quantity 10kg at $6/kg :(
Go this option - HUGE rave at your place later :D :D :D (when life hands you lemons... :wink: )

Sorry, couldn't resist - I'll go away now

ghostpoet

Postby ghostpoet » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:34 am

Rob, what about this?

http://www.reece.com.au/plumbing/products/7620265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let me know when you want to have a go and I'll drop it in. Just need to get some conducting paste...

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 am

BandedRail wrote:Go this option - HUGE rave at your place later :D :D :D
now you're talking :D
ghostpoet wrote:Rob, what about this?
Looks cute, how does it work? I want to chill from the inside of the seatpost out.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:52 am

RobertFrith wrote:
R12RT wrote:BOC Gas and Gear have other outlets at Malaga and Canning Vale.
Thanks, the BOC outlets are roughly equidistant from me - all of them represent a 40km round trip, long way to go if they've just run out. I'll either phone immediately prior to going or try this mob in Myaree who sell dry ice for blasting.

Edit; just called them, min quantity 10kg at $6/kg :(
throw some beers in the left over dry ice, bingo cold beers on a hot day 8)
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:42 pm

How about a CO2 fire extinguisher? A small one, and when you've used it all up, get it refilled and you've still got a fire extinguisher :wink:

May need to modify the nozzle to get a thick stream of gas rather than a cloud.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:10 pm

It's been a few years but I got dry ice from BOC in Canningvale a couple of times without any drama - Saturday mornings. It was around $6 a kg.

They did have limits on who and how much for a while after the Varanus explosion.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:10 am

Ended up going to Canning Vale this morning. It was very quiet, I reckon they were happy to have some company. Colin, I saw you just south of Leach Highway on my way home.
As of this writing the seatpost is still stuck :(
Thanks for the generous offers of help :D

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:05 am

RobertFrith wrote:Ended up going to Canning Vale this morning. It was very quiet, I reckon they were happy to have some company. Colin, I saw you just south of Leach Highway on my way home.
As of this writing the seatpost is still stuck :(
Thanks for the generous offers of help :D
It was a clever idea though.

I don't know exactly how you attempted to do it but, logically, it would be necessary to chill the post relative to the frame. The post shrinks in and AWAY from the junction of the two. If you chilled from the outside (ie the frame) then you would not get that separation.

How about then trying to chill the post (apply the ice inside) while also applying some extra warmth to the frame (hot water?). Frame expands, post contracts, tendency to separate is increased. If that doesn't work then at the end of it you can always apply a little water to rapidly return things to a normal state of affairs and hope that the sudden shock may do something.

And if all else fails, try removing the seat and then sharply tapping the top of the post through a block of pine or deal.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:45 am

Not sure if you have read these...

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -and-stems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What about heating it and then using iced water?

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Yep, read Sheldon, Park Tools, the works. I was interested in non destructive removal. Heated the frame in the sun yesterday tipped dry ice down the seat tube with frame upside down. Applied pressure. Repeated several times. No joy. Added to which I now have the discussion running in two threads. I'll report on any further developments over here :)