Living with a velomobile

Aushiker

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 pm

John Lewis wrote:I think you could. probably cost extra though.
I don't think I'd want the black in our climate though
Do they really get that hot inside? Anyway just thought it was a nice change from red and white. I also like the Tour colour.

Meant to ask John. Did you get slugged import duties? I assume GST had to be paid.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:02 pm

€200 for non standard color

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 pm

Also does anyone know what the item is underneath this Mango Tour?

I gather that the trailer hook can be mounted underneath. Is that right?

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Rhubarb wrote:€200 for non standard color
I wonder if the Tour's colour would be considered non-standard for the Sport RE :)

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18 pm

As a tip on pricing, go to sinners website, but access it via the Dutch language not English option. Then navigate to the mango page and click on the mango PDF brochure then copy and paste that into google translate.

And if cant follow that here's the link:

http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... dition.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Repeat the same process for the tour option.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:Also does anyone know what the item is underneath this Mango Tour?

I gather that the trailer hook can be mounted underneath. Is that right?

Andrew
There is a trailer hook in that picture andrew, it is the one coming out of the side. That is where it is located on John's mango as well I might add. As to what is underneath, that I don't know :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:38 pm

@John Lewis

I just noticed the mango tour comes with a MTB triple of 42/32/24 combo. The smaller rings might help your other issues too.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Rhubarb wrote:As a tip on pricing, go to sinners website, but access it via the Dutch language not English option. Then navigate to the mango page and click on the mango PDF brochure then copy and paste that into google translate.

And if cant follow that here's the link:

http://translate.google.com.au/translat ... dition.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Repeat the same process for the tour option.
Thanks.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:56 am

Also be aware that Sinner Bikes is completely hopeless at marketing, which means they have a host of extra cool options that they do not publicise.

Key example is their new air /oil dampened rear shock absorber which performs much better than the original and is better and way cheaper than after market versions which the rest of the velomobile community is buying and retrofitting to their quests and mango etc. I got this and recommend it :-)

I also got dual LED indicators (free option) and dual LED rear light (small charge - maybe 20 euro or something) which are good if you do night commuting. I know you used to do a lot of commuting miles so worth considering.

As another example of their covert marketing expertise, heres a link to some hidden pages on their website which show photos of previous customer bikes. There are mangos there fitted with also sorts of options (such as Di2 shifting, carbon fibre bodies etc) that are never even mentioned as options anywhere on the site.

http://www.sinnerbikes.com/customer_bikes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fear not though, they make an excellent product and they have made some recent changes in personnel to address their prior customer service / communication issues. Harma & Harry are now delighting customers globally !!!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:31 am

Aushiker wrote:
John Lewis wrote:I think you could. probably cost extra though.
I don't think I'd want the black in our climate though
Do they really get that hot inside? Anyway just thought it was a nice change from red and white. I also like the Tour colour.

Meant to ask John. Did you get slugged import duties? I assume GST had to be paid.

Andrew
In reality no they don't get hot inside. They do get hot and steamy when the air isn't flowing through the body of the mango. Without the hood this never really happens. With the hood on, it only happens when you are stopped or climbing very slowly. Even then, it there is some wind around, it will not be hot.

I commute every day in Brisbane in mine and haven't noticed any heat difference to riding my DF bike. On the B2GC ride, it got to 37 on the return trip and it was actually much cooler in the mango with the hood, than for the DF riders, as I wasn't baking in the sun and there was always breeze to ensure air flow even when stopped. It was also a dry heat that day. In still and very humid conditions where you are working hard up slow hills, the hood will make it hot and steamy inside, but I doubt the colour would make any difference.

yes you get slugged with GST. No you don't pay import duty as its a complete bike and thus exempt.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm

I should actually qualify that last post by saying I have been commuting daily in my mango for 4 months now but have only used my hood on maybe 10 commutes, and a couple of long rides, including the B2GC (192kms in up to 37 deg heat). When I first got it, I wanted to get to know the mango a bit before riding with the hood. Riding opentop enables you to lean over the side to check wheel clearance on narrow paths etc. Also the visibility is slightly restricted when wearing a helmet under the hood, due to slightly retricted turning of the head, to check that blind spot at 4:30 and 7:30. My commute also has a number of slow, steep climbs which are not ideal for the hood. On flat ground, the hood is great. Nitramluap rides with his most of the time.

I think I will start to use it more now as we approach storm season. That of course coincides with 99% humidity in the mornings, so I will provide another update in a few weeks time.

mozart

Postby mozart » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I just had message from Harma at sinner that my Mango tour will be assembled this coming wednesday ,hope that it will not to long that my Mango will be in Australia :D

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Key example is their new air /oil dampened rear shock absorber which performs much better than the original and is better and way cheaper than after market versions which the rest of the velomobile community is buying and retrofitting to their quests and mango etc. I got this and recommend it :-)

I also got dual LED indicators (free option) and dual LED rear light (small charge - maybe 20 euro or something) which are good if you do night commuting.
When you say dual LED indicators and rear lights is that just twice as many LED's? (any chance of pictures?)

If I want the upgraded shock what should I ask for?
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Key example is their new air /oil dampened rear shock absorber which performs much better than the original and is better and way cheaper than after market versions which the rest of the velomobile community is buying and retrofitting to their quests and mango etc. I got this and recommend it :-)
Thanks. Now added to the list :)
I also got dual LED indicators (free option) and dual LED rear light (small charge - maybe 20 euro or something) which are good if you do night commuting.

Had seen your mention of this previously so already on my list of mods :)
Thanks. I had seen the photos of the Di2 fit but was not aware of the other albums.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Rhubarb wrote:In reality no they don't get hot inside. They do get hot and steamy when the air isn't flowing through the body of the mango. Without the hood this never really happens. With the hood on, it only happens when you are stopped or climbing very slowly. Even then, it there is some wind around, it will not be hot.
Humidity is not so much an issue here. The heat is generally dry. That said I have got well over 40C on the bike. I will give this some more thought. The colour is probably not an ideal safety colour either.
yes you get slugged with GST. No you don't pay import duty as its a complete bike and thus exempt.
Thanks for the clarification. Will factor that in.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Bartek wrote:

When you say dual LED indicators and rear lights is that just twice as many LED's? (any chance of pictures?)

If I want the upgraded shock what should I ask for?

Re shock - just ask for the Sinner gas / oil rear shock absorber.

I just realised that the hood is in the video too. You may notice it has a fat reflective strip over the top which I added myself. I also added a thin reflective strip around the full circumference of the mango. I commute home in darkness about 4 months of the year.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Rhubarb wrote:As another example of their covert marketing expertise, heres a link to some hidden pages on their website which show photos of previous customer bikes. There are mangos there fitted with also sorts of options (such as Di2 shifting, carbon fibre bodies etc) that are never even mentioned as options anywhere on the site.

http://www.sinnerbikes.com/customer_bikes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That link doesn't work. It momentarily shows a menu listing then defaults to http://sinnerbikes.dyndns-ip.com/customer_bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and says 'cannot display page'.

[edit] Ahh you've got to be quick to click on a link. Tricky to get to but then there are albums of photos

Mango Tour with race hood
http://sinnerbikes.com/customer_bikes/s ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by il padrone on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Ever since I got my velomobile, my kids have been desperately trying to work out a way that they could ride it. Finally they figured it out ....

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:In reality no they don't get hot inside. They do get hot and steamy when the air isn't flowing through the body of the mango. Without the hood this never really happens. With the hood on, it only happens when you are stopped or climbing very slowly. Even then, it there is some wind around, it will not be hot.
Humidity is not so much an issue here. The heat is generally dry. That said I have got well over 40C on the bike. I will give this some more thought. The colour is probably not an ideal safety colour either.

Andrew
I don't have the flevo roof, but this provides shade and ventilation. I went with just the hood for its wet weather protection. The flevo (or both) may be worth considering.

Another unadvertised fact is that they are about to start producing hoods for the Strada velomobile which has a wider hump behind your head. This means a wider head cavity. If I was to reorder one, I'd go with this one just to accommodate a helmet better.

Experienced velomobile riders do rave about hoods, especially in dry heat. They are about 8-10% faster on the open road.

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Rhubarb - thanks for the info and the videos. I will e-mail Harma and see if they can be added.

By the way what types of locks/chains are people using on their Mangos. I have been looking at the Kryptonite and the ABUS ones and possibly a ground anchor for the shed, but it would be nice to know what fits and what doesn't. Does anybody not bother locking up, I seldom lock my trike up as it is usually in the garage at home or at the station in a secure area.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:29 pm

I wonder if this is the shock?

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Rhubarb wrote:I don't have the flevo roof, but this provides shade and ventilation. I went with just the hood for its wet weather protection. The flevo (or both) may be worth considering.

I have both on my list of options.
Another unadvertised fact is that they are about to start producing hoods for the Strada velomobile which has a wider hump behind your head. This means a wider head cavity. If I was to reorder one, I'd go with this one just to accommodate a helmet better.
Thanks. Will add it to the list. They have an album of the hoodfor those interested.
Experienced velomobile riders do rave about hoods, especially in dry heat. They are about 8-10% faster on the open road.
That is interesting. I might re-think the Flevo roof then.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:43 pm

and for those interested this is the Sinner Transporter ...

and the Radical Designs Cyclone behind a Mango Sport Red Edition

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Fear not though, they make an excellent product and they have made some recent changes in personnel to address their prior customer service / communication issues. Harma & Harry are now delighting customers globally !!!
They also need to stop posting photos of delivery notes/invoices with what appears to be customer's name and addresses on them.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

I see also that they have a Garmin Edge mount. Anyone get one of these?

Andrew
Andrew