I'm an idiot thread

g-boaf

Re: I'm an idiot thread

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:24 am

Having the tubes for the alloy wheels in my saddle-bag, and getting a flat while the carbon-clinchers are on the bike. :oops: Valve stem was too short for me to be able to do anything with the tube. :roll:

I learned a lesson from that. :lol:

I've also gone off riding with just the cap or bandana on, or left the gloves behind a few times. :lol: I usually notice it within 50 metres or so. :)

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Discovered I had forgotten my undies after arriving at work.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:17 pm

thejester wrote:Discovered I had forgotten my undies after arriving at work.

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm

thejester wrote:Discovered I had forgotten my undies after arriving at work.
Not a problem for some people...

Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:48 am

g-boaf wrote:Having the tubes for the alloy wheels in my saddle-bag, and getting a flat while the carbon-clinchers are on the bike. :oops: Valve stem was too short for me to be able to do anything with the tube. :roll:
:)

Done very similar, had tubes for the retro bikes in my saddle bag & had a flat while riding the modern, yep valve stems for low profile retro rims do fit inside a modern deep profile aero wheel, but the valve stems don't poke through far enough for you to inflate them.......FAIL.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:49 am

g-boaf wrote:Having the tubes for the alloy wheels in my saddle-bag, and getting a flat while the carbon-clinchers are on the bike. :oops: Valve stem was too short for me to be able to do anything with the tube. :roll:
Just a thought..........if you run both low profile and deep profile wheels would it be better to only use tubes suited for low profile rims and use valve extenders?

That way if you get a flat on a deep profile rim it would only be a matter of swapping the valve extenders over, and you only need to carry one type of tube at all times.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:17 am

greyhoundtom wrote:
Just a thought..........if you run both low profile and deep profile wheels would it be better to only use tubes suited for low profile rims and use valve extenders?

That way if you get a flat on a deep profile rim it would only be a matter of swapping the valve extenders over, and you only need to carry one type of tube at all times.
or just buy the longer valve tubes and use for all

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:46 am

Got to love this thread - makes me feel better about all the dumb things I have done. Can't come close to topping many of these, esp Alex. Yes I know the leg is custom made for you & it is a sad indictment on what passes for my sense of humour, but I laughed at the thought of you going up to other competitors & asking "do you have a leg I could borrow ?" :D

My idiocy is nowhere near as grand, but what I lack in style I make up for with frequency - in my case experience is defined as recognising your mistakes as you make them again. I used to not realise that I have forgotted something (phone, keys, clean clothes, towel etc) until I arrived at work, now I get a sudden dawning about 1/2 way in.

Best effort lately was taking my 18 month old boy out, remembering to pack formula but forgetting a bottle to put it in :oops:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am

find_bruce wrote:Can't come close to topping many of these, esp Alex. Yes I know the leg is custom made for you & it is a sad indictment on what passes for my sense of humour, but I laughed at the thought of you going up to other competitors & asking "do you have a leg I could borrow ?" :D
What's particularly idiotic is I've done it twice.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Can't come close to topping many of these, esp Alex. Yes I know the leg is custom made for you & it is a sad indictment on what passes for my sense of humour, but I laughed at the thought of you going up to other competitors & asking "do you have a leg I could borrow ?" :D
What's particularly idiotic is I've done it twice.
that really doesn't give you a leg to stand on

(sorry, I had to)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 pm

LMAO :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Some people are just greedy - not content with winning this thread once, Alex had to do it again :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Another one comes to mind.

Driving my car following a usual route, I turn left into a side road. The only problem with this is the road is a dead end with a bike path at the end and I'm in my car, not on the bike
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Another one comes to mind.

Driving my car following a usual route, I turn left into a side road. The only problem with this is the road is a dead end with a bike path at the end and I'm in my car, not on the bike
I do this all the time. I ride a different route to/from to what I would drive, but I ride so often that when I do drive, I follow my bike route.

What's more frustrating is that I know my way through most of Sydney by bike, but that doesn't translate to the car, where I need either a map or gps.

orbeas

Postby orbeas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm

ok who's gotten into the car wearing road bike shoes :oops:
Orbea Euskaltel:Ultegra,Durace,RS80
Orbea Erandio Hybrid

boss

Postby boss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:41 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Another one comes to mind.

I did that yesterday too. I do a rat run in my car and on my bike to the city, but on my bike I go down a road with a dead end and bike path. Went the dead end way in my car yesterday by accident. Surprising it was the first time yesterday really, I only drive the car maybe once or twice a week.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Figured I could get bonus points for appearing twice in this thread even though I agree Alex wins so far.

New Airzound turned up today. Was attaching it to bike in enclosed garage when I started to wonder how the button actually worked, and pressed button while watching what it did. Didn't realise it came from the factory pre-loaded :shock:

Everything seems so much quieter now :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Figured I could get bonus points for appearing twice in this thread even though I agree Alex wins so far.

New Airzound turned up today. Was attaching it to bike in enclosed garage when I started to wonder how the button actually worked, and pressed button while watching what it did. Didn't realise it came from the factory pre-loaded :shock:

we'll do a symphony tomorrow

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 am

Forgot to tighten the quick release breaks before tearing off at 45kph down the street. Found out when I braked for the stop sign at the end of the street :oops:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:54 am

InTheWoods wrote:I agree Alex wins so far.
I'm not really sure what to think of winning the "I'm an idiot thread" thread. Surely there's a better class of idiot out there.... :lol:

Not that I think that anyone wins threads, but you know what I mean :)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Oh don't be so modest.

You've definitely taken the prime and the rest are jostling for the minor placings... :oops: :lol:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:43 pm

InTheWoods wrote:New Airzound turned up today. Was attaching it to bike in enclosed garage when I started to wonder how the button actually worked, and pressed button while watching what it did. Didn't realise it came from the factory pre-loaded :shock:

I did a similar thing (a couple of times at least) but with my bright rear light as I turned it on I looked straight into it holding about 30cm away from my face, just to check if it was working. Yes it works and yes it is f***ing bright. :shock: :oops:

Got my drink bottle ready last night for my ride this morning (one less thing I have to remember to do in the morning) but didn't actually remember to put it on my bike. Luckily I had a spare empty bottle at work.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:I agree Alex wins so far.
I'm not really sure what to think of winning the "I'm an idiot thread" thread. Surely there's a better class of idiot out there.... :lol:

Not that I think that anyone wins threads, but you know what I mean :)
It's a bit like winning the flat tyre competition
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Had an "incident" this morning that immediately made me think of this thread :(

Just recently upgraded to a Scott CR1 and was day dreaming down the bike lane (tapering for Saturday) when I rode straight through some broken glass. Instinctively, reached down and rubbed the front tyre. As I was reaching for the back, the tyre grabbed my hand and jammed it between the seat tube and tyre!!

Ouch. Plus the back wheel is now locked up and I'm skidding around like I'm on ice. Had to wrench my hand free as I was heading into the gutter. :(

Base of thumb is swollen and very sore.
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm

I did my first race last month, took off my saddle bag and pump and left it under a seat...rode my race, finished third, so excited that I totally forgot my gear...got back into town, about 14ks away from the track realized what I'd left behind!

Remembered about 20 mins later that the car keys were in the saddle bag....it was a long ride home, excitement level was zero :roll:

Thanks to Comedian who was at the track watching his mate race for collecting my forgotten things :D

Second race is this weekend, let's hope last was a newbie mistake :roll:
Lisa