The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Big_Red wrote:
jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Ah yes, I've had the pram-pushers going very boldly side-by-side, even when they could see others coming towards them. They'll make others go off the path (even other pedestrians), rather than going single-file for a short period of time. They look, roll the eyes and don't care.

It happens, nothing much you can do about it - just stay upright and keep on going. It's only a momentary interruption.
make lots of noise and wake their kids up :D
Air Zound them at 20 paces? :shock: Ooh, that'd be mean.
challenge....accepted
Biffidus wrote:I was the dumb cyclist today. Took the old mountain bike over my shiny new commuter for nostalgic reasons. Why would I do that?
weight training

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 pm

jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote: Air Zound them at 20 paces? :shock: Ooh, that'd be mean.
challenge....accepted
Sigh. I'm going to have to stuff a potato or something in yours :twisted:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:50 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote: Air Zound them at 20 paces? :shock: Ooh, that'd be mean.
challenge....accepted
Sigh. I'm going to have to stuff a potato or something in yours :twisted:
i'll just use yours

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:08 pm

jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote:
Air Zound them at 20 paces? :shock: Ooh, that'd be mean.
challenge....accepted
Biffidus wrote:I was the dumb cyclist today. Took the old mountain bike over my shiny new commuter for nostalgic reasons. Why would I do that?
weight training
I'm about this ---||--- far from including an air zound in my next order where i can get a frame pump for the road bike + air zound from T7 delivered for less than i can get a frame pump from the LBS. I could have done with an AZ today with the cagers rolling though stop signs/give way signs in front of me! :shock:

Jason = mean bugger :P

+1 to weight training & it builds character... :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:08 am

Big_Red wrote:Jason = mean bugger :P

see what happens when I can't ride - I become mean. my wife hates me at the moment, more than normal anyway.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:20 am

jasonc wrote:challenge....accepted
So mean!!! :lol:
jasonc wrote:
Big_Red wrote:Jason = mean bugger :P

see what happens when I can't ride - I become mean. my wife hates me at the moment, more than normal anyway.
I didn't ride yesterday either due to a buggered chain, I was grumpy all night. :oops:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:35 pm

This morning I was riding along the Kwinana Freeway PSP when a rider overtakes from behind and, a little to close to me, slows down to engage me with something like "How do you ...". Unfortunately he was riding with what I assume is his son who, I guess, had been riding to his outside and who he had to move across to to pass. In slowing down his sons pedals came up against Dad's, who tottered and wobbled and then came over on me. It was all in slow motion and I was focussing on not being mangled on top of the short little cyclone fence that is along there. I did wind up on it with a little bit of forward motion but no damage from it.

It was a momentary sillyfailure to see what could happen - slow cyclists can be a bit like peds sometimes - assume that time and space will accommodate their meanderings. That was only a marginal qualifier to be on this thread.

But in the course of apologizing, and seeing if I was OK he and h is son's bikes were all over the path and they were standing in the middle of it all. The stupidity was first that. But then I had to TWICE indicate that he needed to pick them up out of the way and to get themselves out of the way too. Despite cyslists weaving past. Surprisingly none vented.

Anyway, I got a decently deep gash on my foot that could do with stitches I would guess and I got to put some fresh water and table salt onto it at my coffee stop. I am expecting that some of those paper sutures will do whatever is required. The rest is just keeping it clean. Indeed it is already starting to bind back together nicely. Now I just have to work out how to fix the damage to my trip meter that got caught up in it all.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 pm

g-boaf wrote:
jasonc wrote:see what happens when I can't ride - I become mean. my wife hates me at the moment, more than normal anyway.
I didn't ride yesterday either due to a buggered chain, I was grumpy all night. :oops:
Oh my lordy!!! WTMI

:twisted: :o
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Daus

Postby Daus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 am

Its silly season again, the weather is fine the sun is up and the road warriors are out in force- fine weather cyclists. I am just an aging commuter and can be found meandering along on a 40 year old steel bike or when the wind is up on my 20 yr old apollo (better gearing)and if it rains my newish giant MTB, however the speed difference between me and the would be racers during the morning commute is considerable and surely you realise as the bunch closes up from behind that I am blissfully unaware that you are behind me and yet you are about to pass on you carbon toys within mm's of my right shoulder risking some very expensive damage to your toys.
I know you don't want to burden your bike with a bell- it would have a huge performance impact on you ultra light racer with the extra weight and I won't even mention the effect on the aerodynamics- but what about yelling out something like "PASSING" so that I can be made aware of your and your teams presence and then I will attempt to maintain a straight course so you can all pass safely and and while you are at it be aware that some of us don't and never have ridden in a bunch and the very close proximity to other riders is unnerving to say the least. So to all you would be racers please try to show a little courtesy to other road users and remember the carbon you save may be your own. On a plus side however you all look the part in your team kit and I understand how someone dressed in faded cotton drill shorts and sleevless cotton t is not worthy of any consideration.
I will be looking forward to the return of the inclement weather so you can all return to your indoor trainers for the duration and maybe on day I will catch up at the coffee shop and point out the error of your ways.
Thanks for the moments- Don

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:37 am

Hey Don......be grateful you don’t cop them during the wet weather as road bikes generally have no mudguards, and that would mean a grubby shower as well as a close shave. :wink:

But yeah you are right........some cyclists are so into their group ride that what they think is normal behavior can be extremely disconcerting to other bike riders. :roll:

Daus

Postby Daus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 am

You don't really think they would be out in the rain do you? But yes I guess I need to maintain my sense of humor about this topic but what happened to courtesy- I even fixed a flat a month back- the rider was alone on an empty stretch of road training for his next tri and had no phone, tools or spares in fact had no idea how to fix a flat- the shop does it for him- riding alongside the glass highway it's inevitable 5Kms from the nearest help.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:50 am

Like Don, with the return of the dry I have also noticed an obvious increase in risky riding. Likewise they are just as or more than likely to be in expensive kit which leads me to believe that a lot of those who look the part are a little softer than the more pedestrian riders like Don and I. Which is fine if they reduce their hurry and increase their margins.

At this time of year I have cause every trip to reflect more than once on an incident where whether or not someone is seriously injured is not entirely in the hands of the rider. The most common would be squeezing through at speed between me and a rider or ped coming towards me. I can very easily move 10cm to the right or left without any indication and, of late, that margin is crossed at least once every trip.

Ride with consideration and do NOT trust your and everyone else well-being to chance.

A bell would be nice too.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:06 am

The thing that really bothers me about bunches is when you call out "car back" and no one moves, they just keep riding wherever they want, sometimes 3 or 4 wide. Come on it's just about being polite. You can bet they would be the first to arc up if they get shaved or beeped.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 am

ldrcycles wrote:The thing that really bothers me about bunches is when you call out "car back" and no one moves, they just keep riding wherever they want, sometimes 3 or 4 wide. Come on it's just about being polite. You can bet they would be the first to arc up if they get shaved or beeped.
In the cases I am referring to my comments are not about what appear to be organised group rides. They, as always, have more difficulty in adjusting the speed of the bunch and of passing and I live with that all year round. And there is mostly a decent margin between me and them.

I see it more with single riders or more riders who somehow have become a bunch at that point in time but who are either unwilling to moderate speed for a moment or are just riding lazy.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Which reminds me.. The 'dinger' on my bell broke last week... Need to replace the bell now.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 pm

i must get a gong for my effort on Fri. riding home through the CBD, i attempted to filter (slowly) through stationary traffic, but clipped a tram safety rail and fell against a car, ending up in front of it. thankfully, the driver decided not to finish the job for me. i couldn't figure out why i'd made such a stupid error, but realised about 1/2 way home that i was utterly exhausted and slowed to a near crawl.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 pm

Daus wrote:Its silly season again, the weather is fine the sun is up and the road warriors are out in force- fine weather cyclists. I am just an aging commuter and can be found meandering along on a 40 year old steel bike or when the wind is up on my 20 yr old apollo (better gearing)and if it rains my newish giant MTB, however the speed difference between me and the would be racers during the morning commute is considerable and surely you realise as the bunch closes up from behind that I am blissfully unaware that you are behind me and yet you are about to pass on you carbon toys within mm's of my right shoulder risking some very expensive damage to your toys.
I know you don't want to burden your bike with a bell- it would have a huge performance impact on you ultra light racer with the extra weight and I won't even mention the effect on the aerodynamics- but what about yelling out something like "PASSING" so that I can be made aware of your and your teams presence and then I will attempt to maintain a straight course so you can all pass safely and and while you are at it be aware that some of us don't and never have ridden in a bunch and the very close proximity to other riders is unnerving to say the least. So to all you would be racers please try to show a little courtesy to other road users and remember the carbon you save may be your own. On a plus side however you all look the part in your team kit and I understand how someone dressed in faded cotton drill shorts and sleevless cotton t is not worthy of any consideration.
I will be looking forward to the return of the inclement weather so you can all return to your indoor trainers for the duration and maybe on day I will catch up at the coffee shop and point out the error of your ways.
I know what you mean. I commute down Beach Rd in Melbourne and on those days in winter when there is a howling gale and the rain is threatening I wonder where my comrades on their carbon fibre road bikes have gone ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 am

DavidS wrote:
Daus wrote:Its silly season again, the weather is fine the sun is up and the road warriors are out in force- fine weather cyclists. I am just an aging commuter and can be found meandering along on a 40 year old steel bike or when the wind is up on my 20 yr old apollo (better gearing)and if it rains my newish giant MTB, however the speed difference between me and the would be racers during the morning commute is considerable and surely you realise as the bunch closes up from behind that I am blissfully unaware that you are behind me and yet you are about to pass on you carbon toys within mm's of my right shoulder risking some very expensive damage to your toys.
I know what you mean. I commute down Beach Rd in Melbourne and on those days in winter when there is a howling gale and the rain is threatening I wonder where my comrades on their carbon fibre road bikes have gone ;)DS
+1. This just demonstrates that numpties ride all types of bike. I'm not sure where this aversion to bells comes from, particularly since the police are justified in booking you for not having either a bell or horn on your bike. Today's bells weigh about 20g. I also ride all year, regardless of the weather, and the main drawback of this time of year is the fair-weather riders some of whom haven't learned basic courtesy.

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:19 am

Was riding yesterday, I go into the middle lane here (Streetview), as before there the left lane is obstructed by cars/ bus stops also the left hand lane also ends 100m past the traffic lights as well. The speed limit threw this area is 50km/hr. Some guy in a 4wd pulls up behind me and starts having a go at me for being in the lane, but what got me was when he said this "I'm a cyclist to, and your giving all of us a bad name".

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

kirky92au wrote:Was riding yesterday, I go into the middle lane here (Streetview), as before there the left lane is obstructed by cars/ bus stops also the left hand lane also ends 100m past the traffic lights as well. The speed limit threw this area is 50km/hr. Some guy in a 4wd pulls up behind me and starts having a go at me for being in the lane, but what got me was when he said this "I'm a cyclist to, and your giving all of us a bad name".
You should have replied with "I'm also a motorist, and you're giving us a bad name"

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

how about (in your best evangelical preacher voice) "if taking the lane is wrong, i don't wanna be right!"

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

kirky92au wrote:Was riding yesterday, I go into the middle lane here (Streetview), as before there the left lane is obstructed by cars/ bus stops also the left hand lane also ends 100m past the traffic lights as well. The speed limit threw this area is 50km/hr. Some guy in a 4wd pulls up behind me and starts having a go at me for being in the lane, but what got me was when he said this "I'm a cyclist to, and your giving all of us a bad name".
Would have been funny to say, "I'm a 4WDer and YOU are giving all of US a bad name!"

EDIT: Sheeez - two replies before I got in... I'm slowing...

the grid

Postby the grid » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Guy bare-chested on Masi fixie ( you know those gold anodised rims and hubs) with GoPro on helmet abusing the guy behind me waiting at lights because he was using his phone. Then as traffic starts he starts the hand signals at him as well.
Pretty stupid as the 4WD the guy was driving would have terminated him. I guess he was trying to provoke some good video footage to post here.

crazyjose

Postby crazyjose » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Airzound totally inappropriate for share paths imo. Pedestrians have general priority, and you are required to stop to avoid a collision, which means your bike should in-hand speedwise on approach to any pedestrians. You should not be using a 100 decibel device to move people out of your way.[/quote]

only from a distance, not directly behind them, that would be mean and totaly inappropriate, I would hate one of the dear old walkers to have a fit or something, mind you it would be a little considerate of them to have their wayward dog on a leash or not bunch up and hog the path when they see you approaching them too.

Airzounds also have a volume knob so the loudness can be varied as well...

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Just one of many dumb cyclists I see every day. This mornings episode involved a young lady who was riding in low speed traffic in primary position in the lane (all fantastic thus far). Reach a red light, decides she doesn't want to wait in the queue so rides up the wrong side of the road to reach the front of the queue (only past about 3 vehicles, mind you, so hardly worth it). Manages to avoid anyone turning out of the side street via pure luck.

Then, once at the stop line, decides that she doesn't want to wait for the green signal so instead starts to ride slowly through the intersection into the RIGHT LANE of all places. Two vehicles come out of the side street on their green light and nearly clean the idiot up so she sheepishly swerves out of the way then stops in the middle of the intersection until it goes green for the line of traffic she was originally in.

Me watching on in my brand new maroon sweater: