Touring and Helmet considerations - Help

rifraf

Re: Touring and Helmet considerations - Help

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:41 am

Aushiker wrote: and how do you find the material?
Andrew
I think it'll be a little harder to clean than the "Classic" without the shiny wipe friendly surface.
I found the Macpac material lost its waterproof ability once it was dirty/dusty.
I've yet to read any similar complaints about the "Plus" so experience will have to teach me.
My Macpac panniers were mounted on "lowrider racks" (Blackburn from memory) and being so close to
the wheel/tyre of my Peugeot mountain-bike, I found the knobblies used to cover them in dirty water and debris.
I spent a year in rural Northern Ireland years ago and traveled extensively by bike. A lot of muck on the road there from
a cycling point of view.
This bag will be mounted higher and I now run mudguards so hopefully I'll stand a better chance of keeping it clean.
I wont have my bags mounted on my bike full time like the Peugeot as well which will help.
Hopefully I'll be a little more pedantic about keeping them clean now I'm a bit older and fussier.
The colour is a close enough match so I think they will work well enough together as to not offend anyone's sensibilities too much.
Moulton not doing a factory rear pannier, but a flat rack, I bought an Ortlieb 31 liter rack bag (yellow) which is the same coating as
the "Classic" front bags.
I'm awaiting delivery of the Rixen extender and computer/light mount fitting before I can see what the bar bag looks like mounted.
The shiny black lid of the classic didn't inspire me to put a camera in as I'm of the unproven belief that it would make the
interior of the bar-bag hotter than my Trangia (though when your gasping for a cuppa this appears not to be hard) :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 am

Good grief, its been a year to the day when I finally got around to losing my old and much mashed
bike helmet and upgraded to a Giro :shock: . Being an eternal tightwad I bought secondhand but it does appear unmarked and came with its original box with spare padding. Tis called an Ionas and is white/silver in colour with large vents so I cant be bitching bout the WA heat. :wink:
2011 australian stock so it has the latest roc loc 5 system and the australian compliance sticker inside, as per the above advice with regards to possible insurance/liability etc.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/s ... 182009.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

Nice helmet Aidan!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Wingnut wrote:Nice helmet Aidan!
Thanks - I'd be far too embarassed to show a pic of the old one with all its broken plastic outer
and chunks of polystyrene missing from it :shock: . Very bad practice of me indeed with my intimate knowledge of head injury to have kept it for so long and in poor condition. :oops: A bad example for all when the brains care obviously requires a higher priority than bike bits and bobs. :roll:
Still is done now so I can tick off one more thing from my wish list. Thank you to the people who mentioned the overdue replacement of the old one - you know who your are :wink:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 am

rifraf wrote:Good grief, its been a year to the day when I finally got around to losing my old and much mashed
bike helmet and upgraded to a Giro :shock: . Being an eternal tightwad I bought secondhand but it does appear unmarked and came with its original box with spare padding. Tis called an Ionas and is white/silver in colour with large vents so I cant be bitching bout the WA heat. :wink:
2011 australian stock so it has the latest roc loc 5 system and the australian compliance sticker inside, as per the above advice with regards to possible insurance/liability etc.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/s ... 182009.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like a good buy. Well done. Should be good in the hot weather.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:35 am

Aushiker wrote: Looks like a good buy. Well done. Should be good in the hot weather.

Andrew
rifraf wrote: Thank you to the people who mentioned the overdue replacement of the old one - you know who your are :wink:
Speak of the Devil himself :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 am

I bought my helmet because of its cool name ... the Kaos Ultimate.

The name enhances my touring style.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:14 pm

WarrenH wrote:I bought my helmet because of its cool name ... the Kaos Ultimate.

The name enhances my touring style.

Warren.
Not up to your usual standard of post Warren. I've come to expect a magnificent photo (of said subject) amongst dazzling scenery. Your helmet placed upon a cairn on top of a snow peak in one of the taller ranges perhaps, first light emerging and lots of mist to set the ethereal scene.......... :wink: Keep up the good work :D

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Rif, Cheers Mate ... but I'm a very lazy photographer. With my photos, I let the landscape do it for me ... I just turn up and point a camera at things.

Kull Warrior wannabe ... a hybrid Super Tourer.

Warren.

ps, My all-time favourite cycling images, are when I see cyclists in my neighbourhood riding along, with their helmets on back the front. My helmet has a sign in it with an arrow pointing to the front. I've left it in there.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

WarrenH wrote:Rif, Cheers Mate ... but I'm a very lazy photographer. With my photos, I let the landscape do it for me ... I just turn up and point a camera at things.

Kull Warrior wannabe ... a hybrid Super Tourer.

Warren.

ps, My all-time favourite cycling images, are when I see cyclists in my neighbourhood riding along, with their helmets on back the front. My helmet has a sign in it with an arrow pointing to the front. I've left it in there.
I think I'll print that off in order to scare my nephew into behaving at the dinner table :lol: :lol:
I suspect there needs to be a "take me to your leader" caption with that one. :shock:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Rif, if you know Kull Warriors, the super soldiers from the Stargate movies, they have little yellow beady eyes. I made those big yellow highlights to appear more threatening ... to little children.

So be my guest. If he is really horrid, tell him that I'll visit!

Warren

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:54 pm

I spent 3 weeks touring in Europe sans helmet, just a cycle cap to keep the sun off my head. Was way too hot to be wearing a helmet. And pointless.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:04 pm

Yeah I think I'm going to have to get a cap as I'm finding I'm missing the peak off my last helmet. My nose was slightly crispy from my last ride.
Perths gong to be in the 40's all week so I dont think the bikes going to get out much. :|

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 pm

rifraf wrote:Yeah I think I'm going to have to get a cap as I'm finding I'm missing the peak off my last helmet. My nose was slightly crispy from my last ride.
Perths gong to be in the 40's all week so I dont think the bikes going to get out much. :|
I got one of these a few weeks back. Pretty good for hot days:
http://www.walzcaps.com/caps_moisturewicking.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:30 pm

"take me to your leader, Earthling ..."
Go!Run!GAH!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Get da brim

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks IP,
I think I just might :!: :idea: :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:41 pm

il padrone wrote:Get da brim

Finally got around to taking your advice Pete.
They have an Aussie agent at http://dixonsmith.com.au/index.php?main ... x&cPath=34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very prompt response to my after hours email.
I had an issue with adding postage option to my order which was speedily sorted by an email and Carole sent me an invoice via paypal.
Looking forward to hearing my order is on its way and my Doctor will be happy I'm finally taking his advice to being more responsible with regards the sun.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Personally I tend to use my helmets far too much. Usually with me hitting the ground.

So I did a bit of research and ended up with a Scott MIPS helmet locally for around $150. comfy, light, and less likely to cause brain injuries, bu having your head twisted as the helmet hits the ground and catches, giving the neck/brain stem a good going over.

MIPS being the standard, Scott being the manufacturer.

http://www.mipshelmet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have not tested this one yet. Not planning on it either - but you never know.

And thanks for resurrecting this thread - just ordered a Da Brim from Dixon Smith.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Phil wrote:So I did a bit of research and ended up with a Scott MIPS helmet locally for around $150. comfy, light, and less likely to cause brain injuries, bu having your head twisted as the helmet hits the ground and catches, giving the neck/brain stem a good going over.
I am guessing it was not this one :)

Andrew
Andrew

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:32 am

Buy & ride a Rotovelo....
I've recently ridden my Rotovelo Across Australia...& with 7 police stops ... (4 in Western Australia, and 3 more in South Australia...) to check me out, NOT ONE OF THEM noticed I wasn't wearing a helmet!!! :lol: :lol: even though I got out, AND we chatted for up to 20mins at times!! ........AND they watched me ride off!!

They were ALL concerned for my safety... #missedthebloodyobvious :mrgreen:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Boombibit

Postby Boombibit » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:07 am

I also just ordered a Da Brim, I was not aware of their existingt. :shock:

They look like a hit!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Boombibit wrote:I also just ordered a Da Brim, I was not aware of their existingt. :shock:

They look like a hit!
As have I, out of stock of the grey, lead time 10 days. Not fussed on the other colours either
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Obviously you've orfered their Classic model. I've been using a Sporty for a while and apart from the occasional blast from a passing truck it handles high winds and fast descents quite well. It also seems to push more air under the helmet, definitely keeps me cool. If you order one also get that front stabiliser, they say that it is just for recumbents but I think that it keep the front of the Sporty better controlled for any husts of wind.