6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

bosvit

Re: 6K Club. 2012 Edition. Cleaner and Greener.

Postby bosvit » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:33 am

marinmomma wrote:
You're still in the green Bosvit!
Only 'coz I cheated and reduced my target...... :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:20 am

Did 20k this morning doing hill repeats, updated the tally and i'm only 22k off my goal for the year :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Did 20k this morning doing hill repeats, updated the tally and i'm only 22k off my goal for the year :D .
Sounds like you did less than half the km's you should have today.... :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:41 pm

Definitely some more coming up this arvo :lol: . If there's no interruptions i should easily get over 7000k by the end of the year.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:00 pm

bosvit wrote:
marinmomma wrote:
You're still in the green Bosvit!
Only 'coz I cheated and reduced my target...... :mrgreen:
Fair enough, I'm 5 k's short of the 8000, bugger!
Lisa

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Bikes EVERYWHERE as we were driving into Adelaide this morning. Heading up the freeway, going towards Glenelg, down south. Beautiful day for it too.

Pity my bike is at home, 450 kilometers away :(

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 pm

I had to change my back tyre this afternoon, after 6500km the gatorskin was mostly down to the kevlar, so I mount the bike into the stand and start undoing the presta valve to release the air for the swap. There's a hissing of air as I turn the little nut, unusual I thought, then the inside of the valve shoots out of my grip and ricochets around the shed for what seemed like hours while I cower beside the workstand.

When I eventually found it, looks as if the threaded part has weakened deep inside the valve stem and when I twisted the nut it has sheared and the pressure did the rest. Haven't had this happen before and it was a new tube fitted earlier in the year. Seems they don't make them like they used to.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:54 pm

Well, my plans for tomorrow's ride have already changed. I'll now be leaving at about 12ish and doing an afternoon ride. That might work in better with meeting up with your ride Grant and BLC? Are you guys stopping for a lunch break in Dapto before the second loop? That should put you somewhere in the vicinity of Albion Park when I head out. Might try and join you to Kiama before heading off to pick a hill to cross of my list. I'll give you a call when I'm about to head off to check which way to ride to try and find you.

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Could work out well Shane, we should be somewhere nearby around midday.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

That was a big day. Left home at 7.15am to meet Norbs and Sam then it was off for the Berry loop. Then I had to head to work for a 2pm start. At 11pm I finished then did 30kms on the way home.

I hope it counts :D

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:29 am

Mugglechops wrote: I hope it counts :D
Strava says yes! Well done to you all.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 am

Mugglechops wrote:That was a big day. Left home at 7.15am to meet Norbs and Sam then it was off for the Berry loop. Then I had to head to work for a 2pm start. At 11pm I finished then did 30kms on the way home.

I hope it counts :D
Whhoohooo. Go Lewy.

I am pretty sore today. 6 hours on the bike wasn't what I expected. I think that was the slowest hundred I have ever done. :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:11 am

I spent longer on the bike last week to ride less :D

Bloody good job by Sam though.

norbs

Postby norbs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:04 pm

New on the blog : Strava BMC 79 Challenge - Completed http://norbs.tk/bg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 pm

Eastlink ride today, in Melbourne. Weather was not entirely kind, but wow, what a road! Me and a mate took turns pulling a bunch of 12-14 down to Frankston said 12-14 offered no help!), got down there (35ks) in just under an hour.
On the way back, after the 2 of us doing so much work, we said we'd take it a bit easier. Then 10 minutes later, Simon Gerrans and about 30 hangers on started to pass us.. we couldn't resist, and jumped on. What an experience, being on Gerrans' wheel for 20km. Even if he was taking it easy (which he no doubt was!), it was fantastic. Got us home about 4-5kmph quicker than we'd planned, and got to watch his cadence, how he got up small hills etc.
Even though it was only 75km, and fairly flat, I was the sorest I've been after a ride. Bum, hammy's, groins... ouch. We figured out why, same position for 2hrs 14min, no geting up out of the saddle - and of course working hard on the way down.
Anyway, even though I've done longer, hillier, and more scenic rides, today was definitely an experience I'd recommend, and I'll be doing it again next year (hopefully a bit dryer!)
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Anyone noticed the results page (for the Eastlink Ride for Home) doesn't seem to be working yet?

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 pm

What a hoot Oldnewby. Must have been great watching his technique close up.

I "threw a long leg" today with BLC and rode my first 200 for a few months and my longest ride since I got the foot fixed. Foot was OK, though the ride was tough with an unkind headwind for the last 60 some kms. Caught up with Sblack for a while and slowed him down terribly before he headed south for some climbing fun, while Ben and I headed back for home. Garmin was telling me 211kms and 2100m by the time I got home. 8000 calories as well, so I'm making those up with beer!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:04 pm

grantw wrote:What a hoot Oldnewby. Must have been great watching his technique close up.

I "threw a long leg" today with BLC and rode my first 200 for a few months and my longest ride since I got the foot fixed. Foot was OK, though the ride was tough with an unkind headwind for the last 60 some kms. Caught up with Sblack for a while and slowed him down terribly before he headed south for some climbing fun, while Ben and I headed back for home. Garmin was telling me 211kms and 2100m by the time I got home. 8000 calories as well, so I'm making those up with beer!
Great effort Grant. I may have to do a 200km again one day. Last one was in 1992 :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
Great effort Grant. I may have to do a 200km again one day. Last one was in 1992 :D
Thanks Mugglechops! Plenty of 200s on the calender this year if you want to break the drought. I reckon Shane could even organise a dirt 200 if you ask him nicely :)

oldnewby

Postby oldnewby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:31 pm

great ride grantw, well done!
"It is the unknown around the corner that turns my wheels"

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Sounds like an awesome experience oldnewby. Long flat stretches do have a different way of hurting though. I don't get them very often but notice the big difference is there are no breaks. Like you said, same position but also the consistent effort without the downhills to break up the efforts of the climbs, it becomes a completely different type of fitness.

Grantw and BLC, top work on the 200 today, the wind was certainly unkind for the run home.

I managed to set off a little before 12 for my attempt at the 79 mile challenge ride. Things had worked out well with Grant and Ben's ride looking to be at Albion Park at around the right time to meet up with them. I noted as I headed off the wind was quite gusty which I thought would have slowed their progress through Calderwood with it being so open. I rode down to the suggested meeting point to find they weren't there yet so headed out towards Calderwood figuring they wouldn't be too far away. As I headed out I passed a lady and her son and after a friendly G'day as I rode by she commented to her son, "Look, there goes a real rider". I had to have a little laugh as I pondered her definition of real rider, they where both really riding bikes and I'm far from the club racers that frequent the rode we where on.

It was only a little further on that Grant and Ben came into view and I was turning around to join them as they where now into the second half of their 200. As we rolled back through Albion Park the first of my milestones for today would go by, passing the 6999km goal for the year. A golden bar is waiting for me upon the next update :D Out the other side of Albion Park and it's time for me to start my climbing for the day. Grant lead the way up Mt Terry and was climbing really well for having some 130+km in his legs already.

The road from Albion Park to Kiama via Jamberoo is an undulating one and today the wind gusts where adding some extra challenge to it. More often than not it seamed to be coming from the side and making riding in a straight line rather difficult. After a few more climbs we're at the Blowhole in Kiama and it's time to stop for the guys to get their brevet cards signed and to get some food before riding on. Somewhere in the undulating terrain I'd managed to pass milestone number two for the ride, clocking up my 6000m of climbing for November. During our eating and chatting we check out the bom site and find the forecast is for the wind to swing around at some point. For Grant and Ben the sooner the better although for me with plans to continue south to Berry it would be nice if the change could hold off until I got there. Walking back outside the temperature had dropped notably and I was expecting the change to come well before I'd make it to Berry.

Farewelling the guys as they headed off on the final leg of their 200 I started towards Berry with the aim of clocking up the required miles for the Strava challenge as well as finding the Woodhill Mountain climb to knock another climb off my list. Continuing on to Berry and things where going along fairly cruisily with the wind mostly behind me. Coming into Seven Mile Beach there is a nice downhill section with a couple of flowing bends and today things really lined up nicely for one of those 'close to flying' experiences. On top of the gliding feeling sweeping around the bends as I rounded the last bend a crow flew in over my head before diving down below me, flying within a metre or two of the road suface, around the bend and grabbed some roadkill off the road before heading back up into the trees. It was like watching some aerial footage of bird flight from a documentary except I was really there and it felt like I was gliding above the bird.

From there it was into tree lined road that blocked most of the wind. You could look up at the treetops being blown around all over the place while the roadside grass, flowers and low lying branches where all relatively still. Before long I was turning onto Beach Rd and heading west towards Berry. I'd beaten the southerly change which meant the others would have been doing it tough working their way back to Dapto and beyond. Coming into Berry and I see the sign for Woodhill Mountain Rd. It's a quick toilet stop and time to refill my water bottles before heading out on this road for the first time. I had no idea what to expect other than strava telling me it was 5.6km at 6% and as I headed out towards the climb it was time for me to battle head on into the wind that still hadn't turned. I don't know where the official start of the climb was but I found myself riding into the wind on a small incline of 1 to 2% before at some stage riding into the lee of the hill and being on a gradient of 6%. The way the hill took over from the wind was so gradual it was hard to tell where it happened and the effort seamed to stay the same through it all. The climb stayed mostly in the 4 to 6% range with sections of up to 8% and very occasional and brief spikes of 10% on the garmin. It just seamed to continue like this and after a couple of kilometres I started feeling comfortable with it and started to push a bit harder.

Soon after that the climb flattened off and there where a few houses around and then the reminder of why I don't push too hard on unknown climbs as at the other end of the houses the road kicked back up, this time to 10%, around where it would spend most of the rest of the climb. It didn't get much steeper though with 12 and 13 showing up a few times but no more, making it one of the least demanding of the big climbs in the area. After climbing this steeper section for a little while there is a tight right hand turn. Usually on these kinds of climbs tight corners coincide with steeper sections but I was surprised as I went around it to find the road flattening out again for some more houses. Then it's another little rise before a left hand bend and a gentle descent into a rainforest section. There is a pleasant drop in temperature in this section and I wonder as I roll along if that's the end of the climb but another turn and another upward pitch tells me there is still more to come. Not a lot though as I pass a line on the road which looks very much like a KOM marking.

Then I'm at an intersection. It's left for Kangaroo Valley, turn around for Berry or straight ahead for a no through road and a tiny bit more of a climb to what looks like the highest bit of road. I decide to take that one and as I crest that point the road starts heading down again. I contemplate turning around now that the climb is done but decide to head on a little further as I still need the distance. Heading down the other side the road heads back into rainforest and starts getting steeper. I keep wondering whether I should be turning around or keep going. Just a bit further I think, may as well see where the road goes as I ride on towards half the required distance. I reach the halfway mark as the road seams to reach the bottom of the descent and crosses the creek. From here the road get's a bit looser and rocky but it's pretty much flat alongside the river so I continue on for a little while, across another creek and past a few houses. The road just seams to continue onwards and I end up deciding I have enough distance covered and it's time to turn around and head back to the climb back up and out.

I stop for a photo as I recross the creek that marked the halfway distance in the challenge.

From there it's up the steeper but shorter climb and then back down towards Berry again. As I roll back down Woodhill Mountain I wonder if I'm going to get blasted by the southerly as I come out into the open area at the bottom. That wasn't the case and I end up heading back into the North Easterly wind as I head back towards home. It's tough going as it shows no sign of letting up and I keep riding on waiting for the southerly to come and provide some relief. I do some quick calculations in my head and work out I'll still need a bit of a detour on the way home to get the 79 miles in and decide to head out to Warilla before turning for home. It's the turn at Warilla that finally gives some rest from the wind as my direction of travel changed to turn the prevailing wind into more of a tailwind and I start cruising towards home.

I'm around 6 or 7 kilometres from home, heading along the East/West Link when the world turns dark. There's a faint yellowish grey glow about and looking up there's dark and menacing clouds stretching across the sky. It appears the forecast isolated thunderstorms are one their way, it's just a question of where and when they'll actually hit. About 30 seconds latter the southerly hits and it hits like a shark attack with the sudden thump coming from nowhere and almost knocking me off the bike. The earlier wind now seams tame by comparison and I battle to stay within the shoulder for the rest of the East/West before turning to face it head on. It's a tough battle up the hill and back across to Hillside drive where I would get my one chance to enjoy the wind as I headed north, racing to catch the wind. There was a bit more battling the wind for the final stretch to home but I managed to make it without any thunderstorm and having completed the two main goals for the ride having climbed Woodhill Mountain and clocking up the required 79 miles for the strava challenge.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:45 am

Thanks Oldnewby :)

Congrats on the achievements Shane - and a great report. Riding above a crow must be a cool experience! You get a good view of Woodhill mountain from the southern side of Barren Grounds, I walk there occasionally. That's Broger's creek in the middle.

IMG_1209 by _granty, on Flickr

Also I note with some satisfaction that I am in front of the arrow :D

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:59 am

Very jealous of all the riding you guys have been doing. After slight setback in my health, I'm back in the clear now and going to ride my bike home from work today. Two weeks off the bike has put me 125km behind but I should be able to hunt that down fairly quickly.

norbs

Postby norbs » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:30 am

DaveOZ wrote:Very jealous of all the riding you guys have been doing. After slight setback in my health, I'm back in the clear now and going to ride my bike home from work today. Two weeks off the bike has put me 125km behind but I should be able to hunt that down fairly quickly.
Go Dave, get that little red bastard!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:56 am

Some huge efforts here in the 6k club, congrats everyone!
Dave that is good news indeed, enjoy getting back out on your bike and chasing down the red devil!

After a weekend of destructive storms here in Brisbane I got out this morning and rolled past the 8000ks mark, now to get to 9000 before the end of the year....

The pic below is off a storm chasing site showing a storm cell a bit further west of here on Saturday...

Here's hoping for settled weather for a while!
Lisa