Cold weather gloves

boss

Cold weather gloves

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

I've done a couple of early morning rides through the hills recently and am in the market for some full finger gloves.

First one was no gloves at all - chalk it up as character building. Couldn't shift the big rings after a couple of descents.

Second one was with open finger gloves. Better, I could shift gears but there were a couple of points where I just wanted to be home in bed... or at least at the bottom and heading back up the next hill to warm up. Very cold, very painful.

Any recommendations on some decent full finger gloves?

il padrone

Re: Cold weather gloves

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 am

Giro Proof 100 gloves should keep your fingers pretty toasty :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am

Gloves are a very subjective thing, one person's warm and toasty is another's sweat bath. I prefer relatively light gloves for all but the worst of sub-zero Canberra winters. I am also a fan of the Assos gloves which are worth the money in my experience - warm, comfortable and allow you to use your fingers.

I've found their 'Early winter 851' glove good down to about zero degrees and quite usable up to about 7-8 degrees, which might be a good option given the current temperature ranges. These '851 models' have been superceded now I think, but you can still get them and they are not too expensive on their own.
Last edited by Jean on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 am

The proof 100 gloves might be a little overkill!

I should mention that my hands, wrapped in open finger Chiba gloves were fine. It was just my fingers that were really hurting.

The assos gloves look about right but twice what I want to pay right now! Any sub $50 recommendations?

I need to remember to mention price range when asking advice, you really can spent as much as you want to on gear hey.

Jean

Postby Jean » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

I should have said I've also found Pearl Izumi gloves good over the years. This looks an option for less than a mustard without even shopping around:

http://www.pearlizumi.com.au/publish/co ... 41014.html

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 am

jimboss wrote:The assos gloves look about right but twice what I want to pay right now! Any sub $50 recommendations?
Ground Effect Chipolatas are great winter gloves, just outside your range at $59. They do have some full-finger summer gloves that are cheaper and may suit you. I really only use the Chipolatas when its below about 5-7 degrees.

Mandatory helmet law?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:44 am

il padrone wrote:Giro Proof 100 gloves should keep your fingers pretty toasty :wink:

Fitzroy

Postby Fitzroy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Ground Effect Chipolatas are great winter gloves.

Tried the Chipo's and I wasn't overly impressed. These are the best I've found so far for those colder mornings.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm

My Troy Lee Design full fingered XC gloves are good down to 0 degrees and I was wearing them on Thursday when it hit 38 with no discomfort. Love these gloves.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 pm

Hmm... Chipolatas not so good?? Come to think of it, my wife has their new design and on one ride was complaining of cold hands when my hands in the old design were fine. I thought maybe she was just less tolerant of the cold. I've always found them very good for days when it is below 5 degrees, down to sub-zero as long as they don't get wet (they're windproof but not waterproof).

Anyhow, another good pair of gloves that I'd look at for cold conditions are the Northwave Arctic Evo, for a quite good price from PBK. Waterproof, breathable and windproof.

Mandatory helmet law?

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:30 am

Im a person that doesnt sweat in the hands much as others

I normally always use MTB specific gloves - this doesnt keep u warm at when start of the ride, but enough during the ride and doesnt help with wind on decents

A full winter glove with wind+ water proofing will make u sweat alot!!!! especially on the ascents.

Conclusion bring both type of gloves on ur ride!

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 am

If you don't want something bulky these Endura gloves have served me well so far http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=80253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:49 am

I found the Tineli Thermal Gloves to be quite good from cold riding to early morning chilly temperatures.

For me they were a good fit and comfortable though also like many winter gloves with leather they are a bit clumsy when you want to reach into your jersey back pocket and complete a rubricks cube.
Cycling is in my BNA

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 am

The biggest hassle I find with gloves is that the gloves you buy two years ago and loved won't exist today, and there isn't an exact replacement.

I have a bag full of gloves from my failed experiments. Winter for me this year was mainly Manzella "Trecker" double-layer wind-stopper with a merino liner, but at -5C the fingers are frozen for the first 5 - 10km. I also have some lobster gloves (can't remember the brand), which are warmer... but no feel and a total sweat bath once warmed up.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Perth winter only gets down to about 2-3 degrees during 5am rides, i simply used a thermal liner glove on top of my normal fingerless gloves.

Was enough for me

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:46 pm

I ride in black kathmandu ski gloves in mid winter - and my hands have been comfortably warm down to -6 or -7.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

I have given up on cycling gloves for winter training... this year I am going for a set of Northface ice climbing gloves... might get a pair of their mitts too :oops: . I suffer from cold fingers and toes, nothing destroys morale on a training ride quicker!.
For cyclocross I am still waiting to get my Sealskinz one piece jobbies, but I can take the pain of cold fingers with in reason!... well for an hour maximum anyway.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:58 pm

toolonglegs wrote:nothing destroys morale on a training ride quicker!
I know exactly what you mean.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 pm

I have a fleece pair of Macpac gloves that have lasted me 17 years now and winters in Ireland, UK, Australia (mostly NSW) and New Zealand.
They are still going strong and I'd buy some more in a heartbeat if I thought these were on the way out.
The lucky sods that are new buyers get the option of black. I had to do with bloomin purple as that was the only colour back in the day. I haven't seen their lastest ones so have no idea if they are as good as the ones I bought but if they are half as good then they are still a bargain.
To give some perspective, they are not cycling specific and I haven't ridden daily in them. I have however at times ridden daily in them in rain and shine as I commuted to where I was working, during cold months. Riding and non riding duties is what they've done and they are my only pair of gloves. Bottom line is they are top notch in my opinion and I'd be very surprised if someone got a poor run out of a pair. Hmmmm probably worth pointing out that Macpac clothing items are branded wilderness (or at least they were last time I bought anything which as their stuff tends to last, quite a while ago).
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:28 am

Polarfleece on it's own makes pretty poor gloves for cycling IMHO. Fine for the slower pace of walking and around camp, but fleece gives minimal wind protection, and when they get wet they lose most of their insulation value. You'd be better off with some old woolen Dachsteins (if you could get them :( ). Windstopper fleece on the other hand is a much better material.
Mandatory helmet law?

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

jimboss wrote:The proof 100 gloves might be a little overkill!

I should mention that my hands, wrapped in open finger Chiba gloves were fine. It was just my fingers that were really hurting.

The assos gloves look about right but twice what I want to pay right now! Any sub $50 recommendations?

I need to remember to mention price range when asking advice, you really can spent as much as you want to on gear hey.
Fox Polarpaw - motocross gloves for the cooler mornings are about $40 from the motorcycle shop and work a treat for me on those frosty mornings.

Failing that...any standard membrane lined glove like these from 3 Peaks for $20 http://www.3peaks.com.au/Gloves-5/Tevoi ... l-Glove-34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:24 pm

rifraf wrote:I have a fleece pair of Macpac gloves that have lasted me 17 years now and winters in Ireland, UK, Australia (mostly NSW) and New Zealand.
They are still going strong and I'd buy some more in a heartbeat if I thought these were on the way out.
The lucky sods that are new buyers get the option of black. I had to do with bloomin purple as that was the only colour back in the day. I haven't seen their lastest ones so have no idea if they are as good as the ones I bought but if they are half as good then they are still a bargain.
To give some perspective, they are not cycling specific and I haven't ridden daily in them. I have however at times ridden daily in them in rain and shine as I commuted to where I was working, during cold months. Riding and non riding duties is what they've done and they are my only pair of gloves. Bottom line is they are top notch in my opinion and I'd be very surprised if someone got a poor run out of a pair. Hmmmm probably worth pointing out that Macpac clothing items are branded wilderness (or at least they were last time I bought anything which as their stuff tends to last, quite a while ago).
IMHO Macpac always makes good quality stuff at a reasonable price.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:05 pm

The other standard for wet, windy conditions are dishwashing gloves (allegedly) :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 pm

il padrone wrote:The other standard for wet, windy conditions are dishwashing gloves (allegedly) :wink:
Only for ski instructors!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:05 pm

singlespeedscott wrote: IMHO Macpac always makes good quality stuff at a reasonable price.
Certainly reasonable now as they are currently having their xmas sales with an average of
30 to 50% off according to the catalog. I've got a new tent and bivybag coming and probably a lighter sleeping bag more suitable for the warmer temperatures although if last night in WA is indicative then I think only a liner is suitable. :shock:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.