Headset for 2011 Madone 5.2

boss

Headset for 2011 Madone 5.2

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

Hi all,

Looking to put a new headset in my Madone. I've done some searching and the spec of the headset is "Integrated, cartridge bearings, sealed, alloy, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom".

From my understanding of bike things, because it's integrated, this means to refresh my headset I need to buy some new bearings. However, my understanding of bike things may not apply to road bike things. The one thing that I find a little different is the different in sizes between top and bottom bearing.

Can anyone help me with a bit of a link or something to what headset ticks the boxes? I can't seem to find anything with a bigger bottom bearing - all I seem to find are 1-1/8".

Cheers,

Jim

biker jk

Re: Headset for 2011 Madone 5.2

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Jim

You need a tapered integrated headset. Here's a link to one which is 1 1/8 inch to 1.5 inch. Note the stack height could vary from your current headset which might require playing around with the spacers.

http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=84328

I suppose you could also just purchase replacement bearings for your current headset.

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks buddy. Appreciate that link a bunch. Wish Trek called it a bloody tapered headset on the specs!

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Jim,
be careful with the Trek headset. I built up a frame which came without a headset and bought what I thought would fit over the net only to find that it didn't fit into the frame. The gross measurements aren't enough, especially for the lower bearing which pushes directly into the frame - the shape needs to be right.

I ended up taking the frame into the local dealer who ordered in the part (expensive). I'm sure the right part will be available but it would pay to check that it was suitable for your frame, either by checking the detailed measurements or getting a recommendation from a reliable source.

I ended up with a Cane Creek headset, but I'm not sure what model. You could try their fit-finder to find your model.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:03 pm

stevecassidy wrote:Hi Jim,
be careful with the Trek headset. I built up a frame which came without a headset and bought what I thought would fit over the net only to find that it didn't fit into the frame. The gross measurements aren't enough, especially for the lower bearing which pushes directly into the frame - the shape needs to be right.

I ended up taking the frame into the local dealer who ordered in the part (expensive). I'm sure the right part will be available but it would pay to check that it was suitable for your frame, either by checking the detailed measurements or getting a recommendation from a reliable source.

I ended up with a Cane Creek headset, but I'm not sure what model. You could try their fit-finder to find your model.

Steve
Steve. I just checked the Trek Madone service manual and the headset is a tapered (1 1/8 inch top and 1 1/2 inch bottom) integrated model which is slip fit. The is pretty standard for integrated headsets which use 36 deg x 45 deg contact. Which headset did you buy that didn't fit your Trek?

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

biker jk wrote: Steve. I just checked the Trek Madone service manual and the headset is a tapered (1 1/8 inch top and 1 1/2 inch bottom) integrated model which is slip fit. The is pretty standard for integrated headsets which use 36 deg x 45 deg contact. Which headset did you buy that didn't fit your Trek?
I got this one based on the best information I could find - which didn't include the 36 deg contact, looks like that's where I went wrong.

This was my first time building a modern bike so I wasn't familiar with the various measurements and fittings. This was really the only place I stuffed up so it wasn't too bad. I did find it very hard sourcing technical specs for the frame. I did find the tech manual at some later time which helped with the build but found interpreting some of the numbers difficult.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

boss

Postby boss » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Aren't hiddensets campag style?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 pm

jimboss wrote:Aren't hiddensets campag style?
Yes, they use 45 deg x 45 deg angular contact. My Tomassini uses a Campag Hiddenset.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Turns out the bottom bearing is 36x36 1.5 inch. Top is 36x45 1 1/8.

Thanks Trek for picking the weirdest size ever...

husked

Postby husked » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 pm

I have had to purchase replacement headset bearings for my 2011 madone in the past. I know its from overseas but I only needed the bearing races and didn't want to bother with the whole kit so i purchased them from these guys
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id366.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;