Coming Back from injury

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Saike

Coming Back from injury

Postby Saike » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:14 pm

I have just had to have several weeks off riding due to an aggravated patella tendon (Physio diagnosed)

Now I am slowly getting back on the bike, 4 x 35km rides this week (to and from work twice, I was riding 500 - 600 a week so this is a big drop in mileage)

The knee seems fine, but I am struggling to not concentrate on it and as soon as there is any sensation I start thinking, oh no it hasn't healed, is it o.k e.t.c all these self doubts/

I really don't want more time off the bike as I had a great winter training and I have already some ground to make up from time off the bike.

How can I work out if I can push through or I need more time off. I can't really afford to see Dr / physio every step of the way.

Many thanks.

foo on patrol

Re: Coming Back from injury

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:44 pm

You already know the answer. You do to much to soon and you will pay dearly! :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Are you taping your knee?... what did the physio say?.
You are going to be worrying about every little twitch for a while in your knee... just come back slowly, a couple of weeks building slowly is better than aggravating something by coming back too quickly.
PS... I used to have a very bad patella problem due to old injuries... it came right completely though. I remember it was pretty obvious if I was pushing it too hard, so if you are not feeling anything you may be OK... doesn't hurt to be cautious though.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

Those self doubts are okay, I've had them too with injury problems I had. I'm still cautious - and will be until I've done a few rides of the distance I had trouble with, and I'm not encountering any problems.

You just need to take it really easy and start very gradually increasing the kilometres. You'll know when it's okay.

Did the physio give you any homework to do in the way of exercises and stretching? If so - keep doing those as well.

Snoopy-16

Postby Snoopy-16 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:55 am

15 years ago, I was in the same position as you, although at the time my injury was caused by running.
I injured my patella tendon, & did not give it enough time to heal COMPLETELY.
I ended up developing patella tendentious and as a result was out of my sport for 8 months.
'I'm not a Doctor' is a good title for this section, but for me, I should have listened to my body and let it heal before I went back into training.
( Eight months is a long time.) YOU don't want that !

Let it rest, and follow your doctors advice !!!