Advised needed for buying CF bike with a little scraped..

Dedot

Advised needed for buying CF bike with a little scraped..

Postby Dedot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi there,

I want to hear what the concensus here about buying a brand new bike from LBS with a little scraped on the chainstay. I am looking to buy a CF bike and found what I need; however, after test riding it and looking at the bike carefully, I found a little scraped on the frame near the chainstay. The scraped is minimal but it does expose the carbon itself. The colour of the frame is white; now with the scraped bit, it becomes black.

The LBS said, it is a brand new bike but somehow maybe it was scraped when it was leaned against the wall or the bike stand. The LBS willing to give an extra $300 discount on top of the normal discount and said it is cosmectical. Checked the actual frame and looks (and sounds) good. Also, the frame itself will be still covered under the manufacturer warranty. If I wait for the new frame, the next shipment of the bike will come in about 2 weeks time.

Now, my question is, how critical is it about the scraped exposing a little bit of carbon on it? Can it lead to more serious problem down the track? Do you guys eventually get scratches on your bike from the parking anyways??

Apologise if this topic has been heavily covered before. Thanks for reading.

MarkG

Re: Advised needed for buying CF bike with a little scraped.

Postby MarkG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Nothing a little bit of Araldite to seal the naked carbon won't fix :)
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Dedot wrote:Hi there,

I want to hear what the concensus here about buying a brand new bike from LBS with a little scraped on the chainstay. I am looking to buy a CF bike and found what I need; however, after test riding it and looking at the bike carefully, I found a little scraped on the frame near the chainstay. The scraped is minimal but it does expose the carbon itself. The colour of the frame is white; now with the scraped bit, it becomes black.

The LBS said, it is a brand new bike but somehow maybe it was scraped when it was leaned against the wall or the bike stand. The LBS willing to give an extra $300 discount on top of the normal discount and said it is cosmectical. Checked the actual frame and looks (and sounds) good. Also, the frame itself will be still covered under the manufacturer warranty. If I wait for the new frame, the next shipment of the bike will come in about 2 weeks time.

Now, my question is, how critical is it about the scraped exposing a little bit of carbon on it? Can it lead to more serious problem down the track? Do you guys eventually get scratches on your bike from the parking anyways??

Apologise if this topic has been heavily covered before. Thanks for reading.
I personally dont think theres any issues at all if the shop have already assessed it and deemed it to be just cosmetic... I have about three chips on my bottom tube with about another 3 on the chainstay from a previous crash. After bikeshop gave me the all clear, I just applied some clear nail polish on it and away I went... It's been about a year and a half now.

I'd take the offer and spend that $300 on some nice equipment if you don't have any already...

Disclaimer: I cannot be held liable for any injuries and or death caused from your carbon frame imploding on you whilst flying down a hill at +75km/hr.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:11 pm

It'll get pleanty more of those marks if you plan on riding it - I'd take the saving. Just get a letter from the shop or a note on the invoice stating the damage and that it won't effect your warranty to put your mind at rest.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"