SRAM Red 2012 - tips and tricks pls

MRBMC

SRAM Red 2012 - tips and tricks pls

Postby MRBMC » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm

I have recently moved from Shimano over to SRAM Red on my new SL4 S Works and had a bit of an issue with it last night whilst sprinting in a Crit. I didnt realise I was in the 11 already and hit the double tap once to go up and it went down a gear stuffing up my chance of winning, got second but still had this not happend I would have been first over the line. Obviously with Shimano this is not an issue but wondering if any SRAM users have any tips or tricks to know when Red is in top gear in the heat of battle other than experience with the group?

Cheers
Last edited by MRBMC on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrfenejeans

Re: SRAM Red 2012 - top gear

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I thought this was going to be Top Gear having the Stig Test it out.

brit_in_oz

Re: SRAM Red 2012 - tips and tricks pls

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:30 pm

You will have pushed the shifter across too hard, RED is very light compared to Force/Rival and if your not used to it you could have easily pushed through the first cam. You *Cannot* change down when you wanted up if you only pushed the lever over to the first cam position. Its very responsive, its not much more force than needed when using Di2.

As for knowing what gear your in then its no different to shimano, you cant overshift in top without using the lever incorrectly
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 pm

brit_in_oz wrote:You will have pushed the shifter across too hard, RED is very light compared to Force/Rival and if your not used to it you could have easily pushed through the first cam. You *Cannot* change down when you wanted up if you only pushed the lever over to the first cam position. Its very responsive, its not much more force than needed when using Di2.

As for knowing what gear your in then its no different to shimano, you cant overshift in top without using the lever incorrectly
I fail to see how it is "no different to shimano". When you are in the smallest cog in Shimano hitting the small lever will not lead to a shift to a larger cog. You have to push the large lever by mistake. That's a much less likely mistake to make than when using the Sram double tap system.

scott w

Postby scott w » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:51 pm

i have Sram red on my felt f3 and i think its just about getting familiar with the bike , as mentioned its that you pushed the lever too far , i am still getting used to mine and I've had it for 6 or 7 weeks. mine just needs the lightest tap to go down a cog .

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:22 pm

I presume this is the difference between the 'zero loss' SRAM shifters.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0