Gold Coast Festival Of Cycling

RobM

Re: Gold Coast Festival Of Cycling

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 pm

The first challenge of the day will be trying to stick that timing chip around my seat post without it going askew. Knowing my butterfingers half will be stuck to my saddlebag and the other half to my thigh come race day :mrgreen:

Presume its supposed to look something like this one...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm not exactly sure how you're supposed to fit it, I was thinking the same method.

RobM

Postby RobM » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Thought it was also pretty generous of Robbie to give me some of his Chamois Cream in the entry pack too.

Ill probably need it sweating up Beechmont climb. 8)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Any war stories from today??

I piked at the last moment due in part to the Tambo climb and the prediction of rain/storms for today; I was going to ride out and do Beechmont and back but wasn't keen to ride on my own in the rain, yes, soft I know!
And wasn't keen to pay the same money for the 50 k version, tight I know :wink:

One of my friends had a major blow-out on the descent off Tambo today :shock:
Lisa

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 pm

I had a good day , the course was tough and the roads a little slippy. loads of flats as well.

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:06 pm

I had to pull out after 30km after a series of flat tyres. That might of saved me. I would hate to get a flat going down those hills.
I have respect for those that finished the event.

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm

marinmomma wrote:Any war stories from today??

I piked at the last moment due in part to the Tambo climb and the prediction of rain/storms for today; I was going to ride out and do Beechmont and back but wasn't keen to ride on my own in the rain, yes, soft I know!
And wasn't keen to pay the same money for the 50 k version, tight I know :wink:

Was it a male riding a Cervelo/SRAM Red? I was right behind a poor chap whose RD wrapped around his chain and threw him on the downslope. Lucky we were going quickly and he was being careful. I stopped with a couple of others to ensure he was ok but his RD was cactus and he was a little ginger from the experience.

So many flats I saw. A friend had to abandon as he damaged a tubular part way up Tambo and the gash was too big for the slime he was using.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:49 pm

I usually ride tubeless and never get a flat (well one in the last 11k) but of course due to laziness I had a tube and tyre on the front and couldn't be bothered converting it, the tube went at the very bottom of the Beechmont descent - I think I was very lucky. The tyre promptly got ripped off when I got home.
Probably a good thing the roads were wet, sorta forced me to slow down.
Was funny watching everyone grind up the first decent hill, then see Robbie float past like its nothing barking at motorists.
Lots of carbon rims out there, wonder how they went on the decent?

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Crawf wrote:Lots of carbon rims out there, wonder how they went on the decent?
I want to know if anyone got a fondle.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Three of us (two daughters plus me) did the 50km - I know we are a bit soft!! - but I found it quite a challenge - never ridden in rain like that - one of the hills was short but very sharp (for me) and the back wheel did a lot of slipping and sliding while I was trying to get up that one in oxenford - had to walk the last part of it - too wet and I was too soft to try a 'hill start'. Alex drive was a grind.... told the legs to shut up but they did not listen and one other near advancetown got me with about three metres to go..... :oops:

No flats to report this time for us- average speed was only 22.5 but that is a huge improvement for me on a course like that in the wet - got brave in the end and hit 66 on a downhill and finished the last 5 km at 32.5 aver on the flat (that was cause I was chasing the front two 100 riders!!!) nothing like a bit of encouragement!! :D Needless to say I lost sight of them after about 300 metres..... :oops:

One of the guys who crashed out on tamborine broke a leg apparently, but is reasonably well considering poor fellow - apart from that some skin off but no other bad injuries thank goodness(one of my girls was a volunteer for the weekend) - stayed down last night so she could go the after party (no fondling she is 17 and I kept a close eye of all three girls)what a rotten mother!!!!

- green edge guys very nice took time to chat to everyone = and all in all lots of fun. Never ended up drawing the bike so no idea what will happen with that... but they took great care of the volunteers and gave Charlotte a jersey for helping with all the little kids - don't think she minded - the GE boys rode with them and she is 17 after all...

next year will try to be good enough for the 100 - in awe of all those who completed it , great effort- weather was the pits but at least it was not hot.

Glad we all had tough tyres on - at one stage tubes were getting hard to find - and we gave away a couple each.

Great job to all 100 riders - well done - fiona

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 pm

moreegolfer wrote:
marinmomma wrote:Any war stories from today??

Was it a male riding a Cervelo/SRAM Red? I was right behind a poor chap whose RD wrapped around his chain and threw him on the downslope. Lucky we were going quickly and he was being careful. I stopped with a couple of others to ensure he was ok but his RD was cactus and he was a little ginger from the experience.

So many flats I saw. A friend had to abandon as he damaged a tubular part way up Tambo and the gash was too big for the slime he was using.
No, not that person..she rides an Orbea, the wheel was a 404 and it needs repair :( my hubby was riding with her and helped.
He had a flat near the top of the Tambo climb, so wasn't very happy.

Hopefully the event will be on again next year...despite feedback from hubby that it was the hardest ride he's ever done, I'm hoping to be able to sign up for it...some better weather would probably make it more enjoyable, but this time of year is so unpredicatable weather wise :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

fionahills wrote:Three of us (two daughters plus me) did the 50km - I know we are a bit soft!! - but I found it quite a challenge - never ridden in rain like that - one of the hills was short but very sharp (for me) and the back wheel did a lot of slipping and sliding while I was trying to get up that one in oxenford - had to walk the last part of it - too wet and I was too soft to try a 'hill start'. Alex drive was a grind.... told the legs to shut up but they did not listen and one other near advancetown got me with about three metres to go..... :oops:
<snip>

next year will try to be good enough for the 100 - in awe of all those who completed it , great effort- weather was the pits but at least it was not hot.

fiona

Well done Fiona, awesome effort, the rain and storms put me off from riding yesterday, so good on you for getting out there.

I'm hoping for an improvement in my climbing over the next 12 months so I can sign up...the Tambo climb is tough!

For an easier climb up Tambo there is the Tour de Tamborine coming up on Dec 2nd....this ride goes up the side from Logan/Beenleigh
Lisa

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks Lisa - we had driven down on the saturday so sort of had to do it....not sure that I can con the girls into Tamborine - none of us are very good at uphill and really scared at the downhills - maybe next year - but I'll ask them.....

thanks for being so nice - we are trying hard to get better but still loving it - not loving strava though :) - shows me how bad i am compared to every one else - :oops: but what the heck - will keep on going

maybe we will catch up one day Fiona

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Myself and a few colleagues did the 100km. Have to say it was one of the toughest 100km rides I have done in a while. We had a ball and the event was absolutely wonderful. To show you how tough it was I did the ride in 4hrs 30mins compared to the Bris to GC ride of 2hrs 37mins which is mostly a flat ride. Goes to show I am useless on anything over 6% grade :)

We saw many guys stopping on the mounts and plenty of flats.

Great event and will be back next year.

Dave

A_P

Postby A_P » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Agree with you there Dave,
I rode a near same time in the B2GC and this one in 3hr55 riding time.
2x flats, one of them less than a km from the finish line put end to a good time.
Next year i will do some hill training :P
Aaron

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:16 am

Great ride. Also the toughest I have done and certainly the most climbing I've done in a single ride.
I went well - ran normal clinchers (Michelin Krylions) and tubes on my Fulcrum 5's - no punctures at all.

I witnessed on guy go down on the Tambo decent, dont think it was one who broke his leg. This guy was abit sore but okay - too much front brake was the culprit i think. Im a confident descender so I had no troubles on either downhill.

Pretty stoked I finished and only stopped for food and toilet breaks. I found Beechmont climb more pleasant than the Tambo one. Will go back and try it again sometime (in sunny weather perhaps) :mrgreen:

Some photos from the day probably say 1000 words....

After the Tambo climb...

Just before the descent of Tambo - was interesting with limited visibility and wet roads...

Beechmonth when the sun came out...

Proof I finished with a smile... :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 am

fionahills wrote:Thanks Lisa - we had driven down on the saturday so sort of had to do it....not sure that I can con the girls into Tamborine - none of us are very good at uphill and really scared at the downhills - maybe next year - but I'll ask them.....

thanks for being so nice - we are trying hard to get better but still loving it - not loving strava though :) - shows me how bad i am compared to every one else - :oops: but what the heck - will keep on going

maybe we will catch up one day Fiona
That would be lovely to meet up one day...I think that I've found you on Strava, I'm fortunate that I didn't have a gps device for the first 12 months of my riding, but looking back and seeing my improvement over the past 20 months of being on Strava is encouraging!
Lisa

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:32 am

looks like the first KOM didn't work.
I managed 55th place on the second KOM which I'm please about give the pros in the ride :)

did anyone else get confused by the KOM sign, the KOM 5km made me think the start of the KOM was 5km away, might have been the lack of blood flow to my brain lol

http://mobile.raceresult.com/details/in ... 27&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:48 am

For an easier climb up Tambo there is the Tour de Tamborine coming up on Dec 2nd....this ride goes up the side from Logan/Beenleigh
ahh that explains why people I spoke to said tambo was a gentle climb, they must be speaking about the other side

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:26 pm

themerlin wrote:
ahh that explains why people I spoke to said tambo was a gentle climb, they must be speaking about the other side
Yes that is correct, the event next sunday (december2nd) starts on top of Tamborine, descends that hairy descent again and then retuns to the top via a much more gentle climb. :)

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am

elantra wrote:
themerlin wrote:
Yes that is correct, the event next sunday (december2nd) starts on top of Tamborine, descends that hairy descent again and then retuns to the top via a much more gentle climb. :)
My wifes boss must keep a calender of when cycling events are on and make sure my wife works them, once again I have to miss this. So far this year I have missed the GC100, Ipswitch100, the toowoomba ride the range, last weeks festival of cycling, the bmw rde the other week. All I have managed was the B2GC ( as we were on holidays) and the cycle of giving earlier in the year. :evil: :evil: :evil:

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Tour de Tamborine-first sunday in december
PB12IN wrote: My wifes boss must keep a calender of when cycling events are on and make sure my wife works them, once again I have to miss this. So far this year I have missed the GC100, Ipswitch100, the toowoomba ride the range, last weeks festival of cycling, the bmw rde the other week. All I have managed was the B2GC ( as we were on holidays) and the cycle of giving earlier in the year. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Commiserations, but consider this as a possibility:
Work etc permitting, suggest to her that the 2 of you go out for brekky up on Tamborine this saturday morning.
Then jump on your bike and give her a list of fashion shops antique shops and perhaps a winery to check out.
Meet her back at the car approx 2 hours and 50km later.
That way you will do most of the course a day before the rest of us.
You will miss out on whizzing past the pink Pinarellos on the descent and you will not be able to sit on a bunch from Canungra to the bearded dragon hotel.
But you will save 65 dollars, not including the cost of the wife's retail purchases.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 am

Posted loads more photos of the event on the Facebook page, also set a date for next years event.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

New course this year longer but avoids the goat track decent.

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed May 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Just took a good look at the website (same link as in the OP of this thread). The ride looks fantastic. I think I have found my target event for the year :)

Looks like a tougher day on the bike than the Moreton Bay Imperial Challenge (which still looks like a good ride...it is about 6 weeks earlier than the Gran Fondo, so could be a good part of the lead up)

Who else is thinking of doing it????