Cycling for Health

Jackfrost

Cycling for Health

Postby Jackfrost » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:57 am

I'd have thought cycling was a great way to stay fit and stay in shape but after attending a recent cycling event I was dismayed that the people who claim to regularly ride long distances each day (one guy claimed 40km each way) were overweight and encroaching on obese.

Does KFC feature heavily along riding routes, is cycling a rubbish form of exercise or are these people just talking rubbish?

rcmkII

Re: Cycling for Health

Postby rcmkII » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:09 am

You could cycle 400km a day but if you're eating more calories than you're burning you'll still end up looking like the michelin man.

E.g. when I first started riding I used to set off with two small snickers bars, a muesli bar and a bidon full of cordial. I soon learned from that, and now it's plain old water and no food. If I set off hungry (e.g. early in the morning, before breakfast) I just take it easy and don't try for any speed records.

As for weight loss, for the past six weeks I've ridden 15, 30 or (occasionally) 45 km every single day, and I've dropped 8kg in that time. Eating healthy is a big part of it too - gave up cheese sandwiches for lunch, and now I have salad with a small can of tuna or 2-3 boiled eggs.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:38 am

It's an interesting thing.

Presuming a balanced dietary intake:
- Stress the body with exercise, and you'll more likely lose weight.
- Distress the body with exercise, and you'll more likely gain weight.

A cup of rice will take you 8x longer to cycle off than a cup of vegetables.

Often I see grossly overweight guys half way through a 40km ride, hoeing into a large scone with butter, jam, and cream, and a mugaccino.
Their ride will burn around 600 Calories, the same in the "snack/treat".

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Jackfrost wrote:I was dismayed that the people ho claim to regularly ride long distances each day (one guy claimed 40km each way) were overweight and encroaching on obese.
Just imagine what we'd look like without the cycling! :-)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm

rcmkII wrote:You could cycle 400km a day but if you're eating more calories than you're burning you'll still end up looking like the michelin man.
I find on long rides 200km and above I will put on weight as you need to feed that calorie machine to keep going.
However 50km daily then I lose weight.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi there

I started cycling in august this year and weighed 64 to 65 kilos (AT) height 169 cm so officially within healthy BMI - cycle at least 4-5 times a week- between 20 and 40 km a day- some weeks can get to 200 plus depending on if there is an event on.

now weigh 67-68 kilos :oops: - keep a food diary, count calories, monitor what I eat and what comes off through cycling - and don't eat 'fast' food/takeaway - occassionally indulge in ice cream - maybe x 1 a fortnight but really eat according to CSIRO diet -

am 52 now and cannot figure out how come I am fatter now than when I started - frustrating!!! gave up the cakes on the rides months ago and only have a skinny chino - go figure.... I have not lost size either - in fact my legs especially thighs are bigger - used to have 'chicken legs".... :D

so maybe the age thing is somewhat to blame...anyway am healthier and happier and having loads of fun - I figure if people are out there riding their bikes their size/weight is irrelevant- better than sitting on the couch :D

I now how awful I feel wearing lycra on a fat day.....I'd hate to think I am being judged on my lumps and bumps... :D

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Weight does not equal fat...

At your height and weight, all that riding will have made you stronger; your muscles are likely to be firmer and stronger adding weight.

I have not lost one kg in the last five months, but I am leaner, skinnier, stronger and fitter than I have been in years. My legs are solid now.

When I take measurements I can see that the fat is going down and that the muscles are firming up.

I am doing the same as you; reveling in the fitness and loving the time I get on the bike. It is like meditation for me, and I am getting fitter as I go.

Sure, I would love to have lost another 10kg over the last half year, but what I have gained in fitness, strength and metal health is so much more important to me...

I also know that if I threw in some salad/tuna lunches, more fruit instead of bakery items, and a little gym work, I would probably knock those 10kg off pretty quick. But, for me, the weight loss journey is more of a lifestyle choice. I choose to ride because I love it, and it will help me lose the weight over time without having to be specific about my eating.

Oh, and don't worry about the Lycra... Many of us are the same. You are who you are and just being out on a bike enjoying life makes you sexy!!! :-)

Keep on rolling Fiona!!!
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Obvious troll... is obvious.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Brett - you can be my new hero - :D along with the green edge boys that took the time to give some advice about climbing hills- bless them....

I don't get this troll stuff - is it just people trying to be controversial - bored - sick or twisted ?? just don't get it.

BTW

Just put my GC piccolo fondo ride on Strava - got to laugh - if you look at it by weight category I was second to McEwan - trouble is I took an hour (or two) longer than him and he rode twice as far with double the hills (size and number) than I did..and only two of us in that category :lol: But still they put a little cup thingy on it....

still think I hate strava - it counts the time you stop to help people with flats - that's just really unfair :x -and then calculates your average speed over the whole time- much prefer the garmin..and it stays private....and only counts the time you are pedalling - numbers look much better that way!!!

day off today but back on the bike in the morning - my friends all think I'm mad and keep asking when the midlife crisis will end !! fiona

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 am

Jackfrost wrote:I'd have thought cycling was a great way to stay fit and stay in shape but after attending a recent cycling event I was dismayed that the people who claim to regularly ride long distances each day (one guy claimed 40km each way) were overweight and encroaching on obese.

Does KFC feature heavily along riding routes, is cycling a rubbish form of exercise or are these people just talking rubbish?
Are you referring to the RAC Safety forum?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 am

winstonw wrote:
A cup of rice will take you 8x longer to cycle off than a cup of vegetables.
Why don't I see a lot of fat asian people then :D

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:23 pm

I noticed that a lot of cyclists either really skinny or (kind of) fat. But I'm guessing that although they might have a big tummy, their constant exercise will still mean that they are healthy, have good blood pressure and cholesterol levels etc.