Trek madone 3.1

Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:16 am

Hi new to forum. After riding a hybrid bike I'm ready to transition to road bike. 2012 Trek madone 3.1 on special for $1500 looks like good value for 1st carbon bike. Online reviews look good but can't find my size in all bike shops in Sydney to test ride. Will have to be ordered as its run out model. Anyone with opinions they would like to share. Thanks
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

by BNA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 am

BNA
 

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:43 am

It looks similar to my Madone 4.5, and I imagine it will ride in a fairly similar manner. They are pretty good bikes. Some suggestions I read is that people like to upgrade the wheels to carbon ones, but for a first road bike - I think it'll do you well.

The strange thing is that I don't see many people out and about on Trek bikes :?:
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Its the best value for money entry level carbon bike according to online reviews. There are good deals for 2012 models for $1500 but all too confusing e.g. Madone 4.5 add $1900, Madone 4.7 add $2500, Madone 5.2 $2600. Since its my first bike i dont want to spend too much.
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:54 am

For the average person, the 3.1, 4.5 or 4.7 probably won't make much of a difference - and you can always upgrade them with better bits and pieces, nicer wheels, etc. But a 5.2 at $2600 (unless that is add $2600!) seems to be a nice deal - if anything for bragging rights with those very neatly hidden brakes. :lol:
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:For the average person, the 3.1, 4.5 or 4.7 probably won't make much of a difference - and you can always upgrade them with better bits and pieces, nicer wheels, etc. But a 5.2 at $2600 (unless that is add $2600!) seems to be a nice deal - if anything for bragging rights with those very neatly hidden brakes. :lol:

The 5.2 wad $2600 but after thinking it through went for the 3.1 for $1500 as its my first road bike. The money saved can be used for upgrades when i need to. Getting fitted tomorrow will test long ride on weekend.
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:25 am

I wish the 5.2 was that cost when I was buying. :mrgreen:

Enjoy the bike. 8) They are awesome fun.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby Grim » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:56 pm

Well I think I'm singlehandedly trying to make up for the lack of Treks on the road, own:

2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9
2008 Trek 1000
2010 Trek FX 7.3
2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9 SSL
2011 Trek Madone 6.9

2012 Trek Kids Jet 16
2012 Trek Kids Mystic 12

On a side note, the 3.1 is an excellent entry level carbon road bike, with the heavily discounted prices now also one of the best value for money.
Grim
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:27 pm
Location: Point Cook

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby poohkies » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I've just purchased one in the last few weeks, loving it, pumped out nearly 250km on it this week alone!

on gripe is the seat and getting it positioned for comfort and i'm getting used to the flex that carbon has, when i really start pushing hard the flex freaked me out a little! but now used to it!
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:32 pm

poohkies wrote:I've just purchased one in the last few weeks, loving it, pumped out nearly 250km on it this week alone!

on gripe is the seat and getting it positioned for comfort and i'm getting used to the flex that carbon has, when i really start pushing hard the flex freaked me out a little! but now used to it!


I've had mine now for 2 months really enjoying it. Changed seat after 1 week for a prologo which made massive difference. The seat that comes with the bike is terrible I was paining even with padded bike shorts.
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 am

kajembe wrote:
poohkies wrote:I've just purchased one in the last few weeks, loving it, pumped out nearly 250km on it this week alone!

on gripe is the seat and getting it positioned for comfort and i'm getting used to the flex that carbon has, when i really start pushing hard the flex freaked me out a little! but now used to it!


I've had mine now for 2 months really enjoying it. Changed seat after 1 week for a prologo which made massive difference. The seat that comes with the bike is terrible I was paining even with padded bike shorts.


this morning's ride i was okies, i think i'll be ok on it, adjusted it yesterday a little more and seem to be prefect, only one hand is getting slightly numb, might look at adjusting the bars also! I ride with an extremely high seat (long legs) so trying to sort out my riding position! other than that its great!

What do u use to clean yours ? i'm using mr sheen? as doing alot of km's on it the bloody thing is filthy?

regards
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 pm

poohkies wrote:
kajembe wrote:
poohkies wrote:I've just purchased one in the last few weeks, loving it, pumped out nearly 250km on it this week alone!

on gripe is the seat and getting it positioned for comfort and i'm getting used to the flex that carbon has, when i really start pushing hard the flex freaked me out a little! but now used to it!


I've had mine now for 2 months really enjoying it. Changed seat after 1 week for a prologo which made massive difference. The seat that comes with the bike is terrible I was paining even with padded bike shorts.


this morning's ride i was okies, i think i'll be ok on it, adjusted it yesterday a little more and seem to be prefect, only one hand is getting slightly numb, might look at adjusting the bars also! I ride with an extremely high seat (long legs) so trying to sort out my riding position! other than that its great!

What do u use to clean yours ? i'm using mr sheen? as doing alot of km's on it the bloody thing is filthy?

regards

Yet to clean mine. I agree it gets dirty quickly i will most likely buy a bike claener.
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby poohkies » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:18 pm

kajembe wrote:
g-boaf wrote:For the average person, the 3.1, 4.5 or 4.7 probably won't make much of a difference - and you can always upgrade them with better bits and pieces, nicer wheels, etc. But a 5.2 at $2600 (unless that is add $2600!) seems to be a nice deal - if anything for bragging rights with those very neatly hidden brakes. :lol:

The 5.2 wad $2600 but after thinking it through went for the 3.1 for $1500 as its my first road bike. The money saved can be used for upgrades when i need to. Getting fitted tomorrow will test long ride on weekend.



how did u get your's for $1500 that's a bargin, i got mine for $1700 only cause the new model was coming in!
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby kajembe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 am

how did u get your's for $1500 that's a bargin, i got mine for $1700 only cause the new model was coming in![/quote]

It was at my LBS the 2012 model. Happy i got it then. I have upgraded the wheels to Prolite Braccianos which i also got on sale ($299). They roll much better than the stock wheels. Love it so far.
kajembe
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Re: Trek madone 3.1

Postby poohkies » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:38 am

kajembe wrote:It was at my LBS the 2012 model. Happy i got it then. I have upgraded the wheels to Prolite Braccianos which i also got on sale ($299). They roll much better than the stock wheels. Love it so far.


wow my local shop only offed it at 1700 and now they have a 4.5 for $2k :(

mmmm have to look into the wheel situation, not sure the misses is going to be happy with me upgrading it already! mind u I've done over 1000 on it in 5 weeks so pretty happy with that :)
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore


Return to Trek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit