The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

winstonw

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm

twizzle wrote:And this, boys and girls, is how to make yourself a target for flicking. :roll:
Yes, I need to be flicked because Twizzle's ego, ney brain, can't cope.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:13 pm

winstonw wrote:
twizzle wrote:And this, boys and girls, is how to make yourself a target for flicking. :roll:
You have no idea what "flicking" is, do you?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:35 pm

twizzle wrote:
winstonw wrote:
You have no idea what "flicking" is, do you?
I don't so please explain for my benefit, haha

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 pm

twizzle wrote:You have no idea what "flicking" is, do you?
nope, I am a c grade novice Twizz. Please use your A grade inner sanctum knowhow to fill me in, unless you want to laugh amongst your many selves.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:58 pm

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:06 pm

twizzle wrote:Flicking
I'd actually already googled it and came up with half a dozen different meanings, which is why I asked for you to explain ;)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:07 pm

hahahaha. be careful Twizz. the rider you flick today may be club commissaire tomorrow.
and the ego/brain comment still stands.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 pm

jimboss wrote:
twizzle wrote:Flicking
I'd actually already googled it and came up with half a dozen different meanings, which is why I asked for you to explain ;)
Yeah, it's not exactly a common-use term, but most people who are into their riding have heard the term, wether by lance or other sources.

Edit: Typo.
Last edited by twizzle on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:15 pm

winstonw wrote:hahahaha. be careful Twizz. the rider you flick today may be club commissaire tomorrow.
and the ego/brain comment still stands.
I actually find it hard to believe you have a 'team', you don't strike me as the kind of person who has friends. Next time you find yourself stuck on the front, and no-one will pass you, even if you stop... think back on this discussion.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Reow.

How about we talk about training guys. :roll:

This morning took a different route to the highest point in my city, this one was more up and down than a solid climb (900m up instead of 660m up), but the punch line was a 500m section at 15-25%.

Tough ride, but a good one. I will be working that route into the mix, the 500m section should be a good strength builder.

Skipped my lunchtime ride due to 37 degree heat + sore knees from this morning's ride plus Sunday's 92km / 1600m up effort. Going to spin it on the way home tonight, spin tomorrow, and kill it on Thursday. Then rest till next Tuesday.

Current ride schedule is commute everyday, 70-100km p/day on Tuesday and Thursday, every second Sunday 4 hour ride. Adds up to between 220-330km p/week, which seems to be good without hammering me.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 pm

I really shouldnt be posting as I have not trained since Sunday! :shock:
But I was caught up reading a few of the previous threads and someone needs to have a long look at themselves :roll: we all have an opinion but some people are just smart arses!
Back to training........... I'm hoping on smashing a good 50kms tomorrow now that my legs have recovered from Sunday's race.
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Meow in deed :roll: .
I am with you ni78ck... haven't ridden since Saturday's race. Actually working :oops: . Going to try and get out today... there is a dirt road that follows one of the motorways not far away so I am going to go explore. Plus the fog is still pretty thick at 11am so want to stay off the roads. Decided I need to do more spefic training for cross, apart from the fact that it is fun I notice my core was giving out on Saturday so need to work on that. Riding a road bike or even a mtb just doesn't give you the same physical work out. Need to practice my runs too :| ... I really suck at that, a big part I think comes down to my super tight hips!. Lot of work to do... but I expect I will be loving the results come road season in March :D .

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:02 pm

Couldn't help myself on the way one. Hammered it.

In my defence, it was about to rain and I wasn't keen on getting wet.

Got two overall #2's and a PR on another seg.

Pretty chuffed about one of the #2's, it's a fairly competitive local road. 800m, first 500m flat (sprint your guts out) then 300m at 4% average with bursts of 8% (keep sprinting!).

I've noticed that my sprinting is getting much stronger, which I have felt is my major weakness being very light and lean.

Keep on chipping away, I need 14 secs off 1:24 to get KOM... Got my work cut out for me!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Start smashing out the sit-ups, planks, push-ups and chins TLL. I only do it twice a week but it makes a difference. A bit of martial arts training a few times a week makes a difference too.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 pm

jimboss wrote:Couldn't help myself on the way one. Hammered it.

Pretty chuffed about one of the #2's, it's a fairly competitive local road. 800m, first 500m flat (sprint your guts out) then 300m at 4% average with bursts of 8% (keep sprinting!).

I've noticed that my sprinting is getting much stronger, which I have felt is my major weakness being very light and lean.

Keep on chipping away, I need 14 secs off 1:24 to get KOM... Got my work cut out for me!
Keep at it, it will come! I went KOM searching last week and got 2 :) good feeling after a couple hard month of training.
Cervelo R5

boss

Postby boss » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 pm

ni78ck wrote:
jimboss wrote:Couldn't help myself on the way one. Hammered it.

Keep at it, it will come! I went KOM searching last week and got 2 :) good feeling after a couple hard month of training.
I reckon I've got it with some more hard work. Will regularly hit that 500m 20% kicker and my times on 'easier' stretches of bitumen can only I,prove.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm putting my racing on hold so I can train more. Trying to get TSB above -5 for a crit each week plus have a rest day on weekends is too restrictive, and I'd rather concentrate on losing more weight. Hill repeats tomorrow, then I'm pulling the TT bike out for a few days. I'll try and do Crits every second week, but the next 'A' events are a TT in 3.5 weeks and then another in early Jan.

The downside of having fitness is the additional hours required to extend or maintain it. How do the really fast guys find the time??!

Sent from my iThingy...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah back to training, which around 12 showed up for this arvo. Was a shorter session - 2x 15-20 minute higher intensity efforts:
first was racing bunch sprints x 6.
second was revolving paceline and progressively lifting the speed from 38.

Zep even showed up to sort me out......we exchanged blows, made up, and talked about new gear we've bought recently :shock:

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm

after a couple of days off, today i did a solo 70km as a recovery ride and ready to smash it tomorrow! :shock: :D
Cervelo R5

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

went to bobbin head and did 6 hill repeats today, 3 hard and 3 easy.
legs feel sore.
Cervelo R5

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Took the TT bike out this morning, the only change since the last 20km TT was to widen the arm rests and the elbow rest pads were left off so I was slightly lower at the elbows. But I had major knee pain in the left side after about 10km. On the ride home, both knees were burning. Say What? Not bloody happy, this has always been the bike I enjoy the most, and now I fear it because it is obviously causing damage. The day before the TT I put an Adamo "Prologue" saddle on, did a 30km as a test ride, no problems, then the TT no problems... I have no idea what is going on. It's most noticeable when on the nose of the saddle, where I feel I'm a bit more heels-down than I used to be.

Help?! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iThingy...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:25 pm

I get more heal / Achilles pain on the TT bike. The position is super tough on the hips and hammies etc... which you probably have problems with as well as you mention lower back pain when climbing etc. The saddle can be funny to set up. On a normal saddle I measure seat height to middle of saddle, but on Adamo I measure to about an inch behind the nose ( good centimeters difference ), I also try not to ride too long in the upright position as it is too high for long distances. Do some hip flexors stretches etc and see how tight you are... took me a good month to get used to being so low. No knee pain but certainly felt it behind the legs.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Hmmm... yet I found it more comfortable sitting up today & I could really feel I was using the quads, and the knees felt they were working right from the start. But damned if I know why. It could be I'm just further forward on the nose as it feels more comfortable now, but why didn't it hurt for the TT? Given I feel lower, should I raise the saddle a few mm?

Sent from my iThingy...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:25 am

I raised my seat post quite a lot so that the nose of the Adamo matched the height of my road saddle ( measured to the middle )... but that means the middle of the Adamo is quite high . They take a bit of fiddling with. I start off sitting on the very tip but realized I was taking too much body weight on my legs, once I slide back a touch power went back up.

Still struggling a bit with training at the moment... very tight hips and butt, plus hamstrings and psoas' are feeling a bit sore. Basically a bit too much muscle soreness!. Plus the big drain jumps last Saturday hammered my knees a bit :roll: . Anyway a nice 70ish k's with the aim of hitting a big hill but ended up hitting a couple of smaller hills... looked like snow up high and rain down low, no way I wanted to get wet so far from home.
Good chance I will skip this Saturday's CX race and just do some training :( ... but I also need to go and watch some kids rugby so will use that as an excuse!. Shame as the course this weekend is really good fun even though the 25% climb is a killer. Would rather do this one and skip the steep slippery grassfest the weekend after, but with only about 5 races left before my season ends I should do as many as I can!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:59 am

toolonglegs wrote:I start off sitting on the very tip but realized I was taking too much body weight on my legs, once I slide back a touch power went back up.
Bingo!

I raised the saddle 3mm last night, hopped on this morning and soon realised I wasn't on the saddle, I was standing on the pedals. 49km this morning with only minor discomfort when I didn't think about what I was doing. Stilll.... it's weird I got away with the setup for the first 50km of ride/race without a problem and then stuffed it up - but I was a bit tentative on the new saddle, now I'm right up on the tip.

I bought a cricket ball yesterday... wife walking in on me this morning in the bedroom while I was using it to attack the glutes by rolling around on it. A moment of silence followed by "What the hell are you doing?" Of course, she couldn't see the ball. :mrgreen: :lol:

Why a cricket ball? I tried with a tennis ball, it popped after about 5 seconds. :oops: