A Tassie Special

rangersac

A Tassie Special

Postby rangersac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Posted elsewhere on this forum, but since it's a uniquely Tassie thing I thought it worth sharing here. So we've all done the suck the fly into the gob when riding thing right? Well in Tas, if all the planets align, you can top that by inhaling a bumblebee whilst on the go like I did on the way home tonight. They are infinitely hairier, spikier and more wriggly than the 'ole blowie, and take a fair bit more hacking to get out. As an added bonus at the end of your ride you get the added pleasure of removing an embedded sting with a pair of tweezers, whilst trying not to gag on the mouthful of metal. Needless to say I can't see the tourists lining up for the experience...
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

RonK

Re: A Tassie Special

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:58 pm

rangersac wrote:Posted elsewhere on this forum, but since it's a uniquely Tassie thing I thought it worth sharing here. So we've all done the suck the fly into the gob when riding thing right? Well in Tas, if all the planets align, you can top that by inhaling a bumblebee whilst on the go like I did on the way home tonight. They are infinitely hairier, spikier and more wriggly than the 'ole blowie, and take a fair bit more hacking to get out. As an added bonus at the end of your ride you get the added pleasure of removing an embedded sting with a pair of tweezers, whilst trying not to gag on the mouthful of metal. Needless to say I can't see the tourists lining up for the experience...
Saw plenty of the little BB's whilst tour in New Zealand recently, but didn't inhale any. But I did ride through a small swarm of honey bees while touring in Tassie a few years ago, coming down a hill fast near Gretna. Only a few manage to get a sting into me, the rest just felt like B52 bugs hitting me. Had to stop rather quickly to get one out of my helmet.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 am

Whoa...

That would suck.

Thanks for sharing.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 am

RonK wrote:Saw plenty of the little BB's whilst tour in New Zealand recently
Yeah, should've more accurately said unique experience in Australia. Plenty of them in the UK when I was there, but never managed to swallow one!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket