First crash

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:46 pm

kslim wrote:Out of interest - how often do people fall off their bikes?

Twice last year. Both times were an attempted assasination attempt by a motor vehicle. Scraped arm both times.

Once the year before after riding the Munda Biddi Trail in WA and carrying too much touring gear down a steep hill when the tyres lost grip. Got a lot of gravel rash.
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:50 pm

BNA

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:50 pm

kslim wrote: ....
For the record, I've come off 3 times in the last 12 months ....Is this more than average?

You must be a dirt rider!
It's certainly more than my average. I had two clipless pedal-related 'graceful falls' while I was getting my release tension settings sorted out, then nothing since. My only accident didn't result in my coming off - I just 'glanced' off the car that hit me across the road between two on-coming cars. I still don't know how I got my feet out of the pedals and down on the ground. Didn't even get my knicks dirty!
I must admit, I dread falling on tarmac - the 'cheese grater' concept that pospete used in another thread is very apt.

ps. I kid you not, I came very close to 'dirtying' my knicks though!
LuckyPierre

Postby kslim » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:41 pm

peterrjleach wrote:
kslim wrote: ....
For the record, I've come off 3 times in the last 12 months ....Is this more than average?

You must be a dirt rider!

ps. I kid you not, I came very close to 'dirtying' my knicks though!

Nope. Road bike. Last fall over the handlebars was when front wheel went into a 1mx23mm longitudinal crack in the road (about 50cm deep) when following another rider in a group ride. The bent wheel really hurt (the hip pocket that is)
kslim

Previous

Return to General discussion