Skate boards on PSP/RSP

Skate boards on PSP/RSP

Postby as7431 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:29 am

Hi all

I was travelling north on the path along West Coast Drive yesterday and where it leaves the road and drops down towards Brighton Rd, I came across a skate boarder, weaving/slaloming all over the path, allowing no room for passing. What's worse is that he was wearing full head phones, not just ear buds. I slowed right down and from about 1m away yelled as loudliy as I could. Took several attempts for him to hear me. Forthunately I did not come upon him on the blind corner. My question is, what are they classified as? Do they have the protected status of a pederstrian? If someone is unlucky enough to hit one, is the cyclist automatically assumed to be in the wrong? I am guessing they are not deemed to be a cyclist/vehicle. Perhaps they are in a separate class all togehter.

Regardless, this could have been dangerous as this guy not only was weaving all over the path, but had absolutely no awareness of what was behind him.

TIm
as7431

by BNA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 am

BNA

Re: Skate boards on PSP/RSP

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:59 am

(1) A skateboard is a wheeled recreational device - Road Traffic Code 2000 rule 3.

(2) the definition of pedestrian includes a person in or on a wheeled recreational device - Road Traffic Code 2000 rule 3.

(3) there are specific rules for them, most relevantly a person on a wheeled recreational device on a footpath or shared path must keep to the left unless it is impracticable to do so - Road Traffic Code 2000 rule 208.
find_bruce

Return to Western Australia