Aksium V Braccacino

boss

Aksium V Braccacino

Postby boss » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:36 pm

I currently have aksiums - came with my bike (Madone 5.2).

Considering wheel upgrade for Christmas... Looking for a light but reliable, do it all wheelset. Commute, train and maybe race.

Are Braccacinos a worthy upgrade?

And for those on here who have Braccacinos, aside from durability, a major concern is cross wind handling. I ride all weather so I don't want to take too many steps backwards.

Cheers

Jim

Xplora

Re: Aksium V Braccacino

Postby Xplora » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd get the Brac's just to support our man Jack, honestly. No one has been unhappy with them anywhere, that's got to count for something!

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Xplora wrote:I'd get the Brac's just to support our man Jack, honestly. No one has been unhappy with them anywhere, that's got to count for something!
+1 on both counts. Never heard anyone complain about them at all, plus Deon (aka Jack[some numbers]) is an all round good bloke deserving of our love. [Disclosure: I have a pro-lite bike and two sets of pro-lite wheels]

hkgts

Postby hkgts » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 pm

I train/race on my brac's in the 3rd windiest city in the world and for a sub $400 wheelset, I can't speak highly enough about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 am

jimboss wrote: Are Braccacinos a worthy upgrade?
They are a good option
jimboss wrote: a major concern is cross wind handling
I doubt you'll have too much trouble with them in the wind. 27mm really isn't that deep

jdimitri

Postby jdimitri » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Sorry to butt in, but has anyone compared the Shimano RS80 C24 to Bracciano?

They're somewhat similar priced and I'm in a somewhat similar position to the OP, upgrading from RS10 and want to make sure it's "worth" the upgrade

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:38 pm

If its worth anything to you, the hub geometry on the RS80 and the RS10 should be the same, so if you often need to switch wheels then you shouldn't need to tune your gears. The RS80 use some very light rims, but heavy hubs and spokes bump up the overall weight. IIRC, the RS80 can build to a 1300g wheelset with light hubs and spokes (like the DA model).

Bandelero

Postby Bandelero » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I have owned Pro-Lite Stelvio's and I don't rate them. :?

I have Aksiums as my spare wheels and they are OK but don't set my world on fire. I have ridden RS80's and loved them, would buy these if I were in your shoes. :mrgreen:

jdimitri

Postby jdimitri » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:07 am

Bandelero wrote:I have owned Pro-Lite Stelvio's and I don't rate them. :?

I have Aksiums as my spare wheels and they are OK but don't set my world on fire. I have ridden RS80's and loved them, would buy these if I were in your shoes. :mrgreen:
usernameforme wrote:If its worth anything to you, the hub geometry on the RS80 and the RS10 should be the same, so if you often need to switch wheels then you shouldn't need to tune your gears. The RS80 use some very light rims, but heavy hubs and spokes bump up the overall weight. IIRC, the RS80 can build to a 1300g wheelset with light hubs and spokes (like the DA model).
Thanks to both of you, makes my decision a whole lot easier... Now just hunting to find them $400 or under, which will be quite a task from the looks of it! :D
Put some 25c GP4000s on them and I reckon I'll be good for upgrades on my 105 CAAD10 for a while I think

boss

Postby boss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Are the RS80's (c24 or c50) tough enough to commute on?

I'm leaning towards a lower profile rim but deep looks so tough!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:18 pm

jimboss wrote:I currently have aksiums - came with my bike (Madone 5.2).

Considering wheel upgrade for Christmas... Looking for a light but reliable, do it all wheelset. Commute, train and maybe race.

Are Braccacinos a worthy upgrade?

And for those on here who have Braccacinos, aside from durability, a major concern is cross wind handling. I ride all weather so I don't want to take too many steps backwards.

Cheers

Jim
I moved from Alsiums to braccianos. Chalk and cheese.

They're fast, lightish (300g lighter than the aksiums) and durable (nearly 3k so far and still perfect). I've not had and issues in crosswinds - they're only 30-odd mm.

Seriously, get the braccianos.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:13 pm

jimboss wrote:Are the RS80's (c24 or c50) tough enough to commute on?
depends on how much you weigh road surface, tooth fairy points (some seem to be more lucky than others) etc. If you're a 50kg whippet go for it, 90kg sprinter, I'd think twice

boss

Postby boss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm 65-70, so on the light side I guess?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't have too much personal experience with the RS80, but I see the DA version alot, They seem to hold up quite nicely. There's nothing that suggests to me that it won't hold up your weight. Just make sure there is plenty of grease in the hub, seen quite a few complaints that sound like the owner hasn't greased the hubs. Being cup and cone style bearings, they require some attention to keep them smooth. The ammount of attention required varies, but IME its a set and forget thing.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I've done about 8k on rs80 c24s and have found them bomb proof, I Jump kerbs and ride on rough roads.I was concerned about rim wear but they seem ok, I weigh 85kgs. Go for it I say,all my cartridge Hubs I've worn out bearings these are great. I agree with the above re grease from new and check the bearing tension mine were tight off the shelf.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

fingy

Postby fingy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Girlfriends RS80's are about three year old and never had an issue
I have 7850 DA C24's with 10,000 km on my old bike never had a
spanner on them that still spin true with no bearing adjustment
my current bike has 7900 DA C24's that have done 15,000 km
I do not treat them gently either, was concerned at first they
may be a fragile wheel being so light,not now :)
wont hessitate buying 9000 C24's for the next bike
80kg rider BTW

Abby

Postby Abby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

jimboss wrote:Are the RS80's (c24 or c50) tough enough to commute on?

I'm leaning towards a lower profile rim but deep looks so tough!
Hi jimboss,

I've used a pair if the RS80 (c24) clinchers as my 'do everything' wheelset for almost 18 months. Commuting, training & racing. They are awesome, strong & stiff as all heck, and roll beautifully. I would highly recommend them... :D

I weigh around 80kg, for info...

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:00 pm

The OP was asking about Bracciano, not Stelvio which are a discontinued and different product. That being said, if you care to elaborate on your issue. Where did you buy your wheels, how old are they, how many kms have they done, how heavy are you.

I'm sure we can help you out with whatever your issue is/was.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Bandelero

Postby Bandelero » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:35 pm

jacks1071 wrote:

The OP was asking about Bracciano, not Stelvio which are a discontinued and different product. That being said, if you care to elaborate on your issue. Where did you buy your wheels, how old are they, how many kms have they done, how heavy are you.

I'm sure we can help you out with whatever your issue is/was.
Similar/different product, same manufacturer........I bought them from yourself. I offloaded them sometime ago, not much scope to assist unfortunately.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Bandelero wrote:
Similar/different product, same manufacturer........I bought them from yourself. I offloaded them sometime ago, not much scope to assist unfortunately.
Thats ashame, let me know if you want to try a different model in the future and I'll work something out for you.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Releng

Postby Releng » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:57 pm

A vote for the Braccianos:

13,500 Ks over 2 years, all weathers. weight from 80-90 Kg.
Still running true and smooth, and feeling brand new. I have never had to touch the spokes despite jumping gutters and speed humps.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm another happy Bracciano owner. I've only had them a couple of months and they "felt" faster (than the mavic cpx22 they replaced) when I go them and my Strava times did improve a bit. But the real eye opener was when I did the recent Fitz's challenge - riding with 430 other cyclists over many hills I noticed how much faster I was coasting down the hills, compared with the other cyclists. When in a group I was constantly braking otherwise I found myself overtaking others with ease, often with them pedalling and me simply coasting. Sure, a lot of people have poor aero technique but I have no doubt the wheels were the major factor.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:14 pm

nickdos wrote:I'm another happy Bracciano owner. I've only had them a couple of months and they "felt" faster (than the mavic cpx22 they replaced) when I go them and my Strava times did improve a bit. But the real eye opener was when I did the recent Fitz's challenge - riding with 430 other cyclists over many hills I noticed how much faster I was coasting down the hills, compared with the other cyclists. When in a group I was constantly braking otherwise I found myself overtaking others with ease, often with them pedalling and me simply coasting. Sure, a lot of people have poor aero technique but I have no doubt the wheels were the major factor.
That's a very interesting observation.

My Felt F75 currently has the CXP22's, running Conti GP4000S's (and I'm co-incidentally currently contemplating an upgrade to some Bracciano's myself)...however I find that with the CXP22's, I too seem to coast downhill on them whilst those around me seem to be riding with a parachute (and I'm constantly on the brakes).
On a recent club ride I had two riders pedalling down the descent and I coasted past them without pedaling and at the bottom they asked me how on earth I passed them by without pedaling once.

If upgrading to the Bracciano's means my downhill coasting will improve even further then I may need to invest in some company shares of the brake pad manufacturers...or try and seek sponsorship from them....LOL

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

On a side note, us fat B's seem to go down hill really well.

Just waiting to get a few spare dollars together to buy the Bracs

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

kajembe

Postby kajembe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:44 pm

nickdos wrote:I'm another happy Bracciano owner. I've only had them a couple of months and they "felt" faster (than the mavic cpx22 they replaced) when I go them and my Strava times did improve a bit. But the real eye opener was when I did the recent Fitz's challenge - riding with 430 other cyclists over many hills I noticed how much faster I was coasting down the hills, compared with the other cyclists. When in a group I was constantly braking otherwise I found myself overtaking others with ease, often with them pedalling and me simply coasting. Sure, a lot of people have poor aero technique but I have no doubt the wheels were the major factor.
Same here. Had the Bracciano's for 1 month & I coast a lot in group rides. Maybe I'm getting fitter as well but since the wheel upgrade I can keep up & doesn't get dropped behind.