Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

ldrcycles

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Doesn't seem to be much info out there, but i've heard Cell were or are sourcing their frames from them. I don't see any reason for them to be any better or worse than Azzurri for instance.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

PerthNewbie

Postby PerthNewbie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:03 pm

I think ill have to ride the Amiata again and pay more attention to the stiffness. I don't know much about frame construction but my mate thinks that monocoque construction is the best technology. Are many of the Chinese frames constructed in this way?

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:31 am

Basically all frames are monocoque these days including the Chinese ones. Personally I've been riding my own no-name chinese frame for a bit over a year now and it's been perfectly fine, unlike most cheap bikes that one has an ok wheelset too which is a good thing.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:46 am

Hi All,

Has anyone purchased off these guys before? wholesalecarbonbikeparts.com

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 am

bardygrub wrote:Hi All,

Steer clear.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Crawf wrote:
bardygrub wrote:Hi All,

Steer clear.
Why is that? :?

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:04 pm

bardygrub wrote:Why is that? :?
Weight Weenies wrote: Whether or not is is a scam is up to your judgement. I believe it is.
Here is my justification, outlined because apparently it's not clear enough for some:

1. There is no information about the business's actual, non-virtual address. All "open mould" sellers and manufacturers provide an actual, verifiable address on their sites. This one does not.
2. There is no actual contact information. No e-mail addresses, no phone numbers, no 'skype' or other chat methods. Nothing. Just a form that will send your information to somewhere unknown.
3. The legal information, available under this page, which in itself is mis-placed, is quite literally copied directly from another site. If you ever bothered to take a small moment, sir, to actually read the damn thing you'll note that it's incomplete and incoherent. Links do not exist where there should be links. The entire section on Ordering is taken from the famous Lorem Ipsum text. For those of you who have no idea what Lorem Ipsum is, here's a site for you.
4. If you click on the language/flag icons at the bottom, they only link to products and do not change the language of the text at all. In fact, if you really pay attention, it is coded so clicking on the Spanish flag would supposedly change it to the French site.

If you've ever dealt with any of the sellers that do open-mould type componentry, such as Archtek or Farsports or Hong-Fu, you'll find that the people behind the company do their best to overcome the language barrier. They know the difference between Spain and France. They provide legal info and some measure of accountability that this site clearly does not.

If you believe that 4 salient points are not enough to convince you not to make a purchase through that site at this time, then by all means go right ahead. No one is stopping you.
Weight Weenies Thread

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 am

kirky92au wrote:
bardygrub wrote:Why is that? :?
Weight Weenies wrote: Whether or not is is a scam is up to your judgement. I believe it is.
Here is my justification, outlined because apparently it's not clear enough for some:

1. There is no information about the business's actual, non-virtual address. All "open mould" sellers and manufacturers provide an actual, verifiable address on their sites. This one does not.
2. There is no actual contact information. No e-mail addresses, no phone numbers, no 'skype' or other chat methods. Nothing. Just a form that will send your information to somewhere unknown.
3. The legal information, available under this page, which in itself is mis-placed, is quite literally copied directly from another site. If you ever bothered to take a small moment, sir, to actually read the damn thing you'll note that it's incomplete and incoherent. Links do not exist where there should be links. The entire section on Ordering is taken from the famous Lorem Ipsum text. For those of you who have no idea what Lorem Ipsum is, here's a site for you.
4. If you click on the language/flag icons at the bottom, they only link to products and do not change the language of the text at all. In fact, if you really pay attention, it is coded so clicking on the Spanish flag would supposedly change it to the French site.

If you've ever dealt with any of the sellers that do open-mould type componentry, such as Archtek or Farsports or Hong-Fu, you'll find that the people behind the company do their best to overcome the language barrier. They know the difference between Spain and France. They provide legal info and some measure of accountability that this site clearly does not.

If you believe that 4 salient points are not enough to convince you not to make a purchase through that site at this time, then by all means go right ahead. No one is stopping you.
Weight Weenies Thread
Cheers :)

roreybellows

Postby roreybellows » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Have just ordered a set of 60mm CC from FarSports through VeloBuild. After reading through here, VeloBuild and Road Bike review forums felt it was the best option. To say I'm excited is a huge understatement. Will post pictures when I get them.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:49 pm

I just received my 38's clinchers from Farsports. Ordered on the 12th and recieved on the 21st with tracking via EMS.
I delt directly with Smart and he has been excellent. Great communcation and he even send me pics once they were built before he sent them off.
I mucked him around for a week before biting the bullet with changes and he was alway quick to reply and kept me well informed.
I have just literally opened the box, packaging is excellent and I will re-use the bike box.

I ordered;

Rims Super light 700C 38mm clincher rim,
(20/24H,UD Matt,Basalt brake surface)
Hubs EDhubs black(ceramic bearings,Shimano)
Spokes Sapim Cx-ray,black
Nipples Sapim SILS external nipples,black
Total Weight 1280g+/-30g
skewer,black 1 set Free
Brake pads,blue 4 sets Free
Spare spokes 3 pcs Free

I will weigh them tomorrow and ride them for a few weeks before posting a report.
One note they came without rim tape. No biggie as I have ordered Veloplugs anyway.
These will be going on a new build so it will be a few weeks before I will report back
cheers
Sambo

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:04 pm

How much in total sambo ?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Including shipping and paypal fees $617US delivered to my door. I thought that was a good price with the EDhubs and ceramic bearings.
I have a pair of 2007 Edge/Enve 38mm clinchers that are a high standard to compare these to.
I dont expect the hubs to live up to the DTSwiss 240's on the edge/Enve but it will be interesting to see if they are as solid.

The Edge/Enve are my everyday wheel and just stay true and stiff, however the rear got slightly damaged in a crash so I am hoping to have these Farsports replace them on my second bike.

The Farsports win on weight they are bang on 1250grams without rim tape according to my kitchen scales.
The proof of how much value they are will be in the ride though.

If you are after a set deal with Smart as he has a good English command and is prompt with replies.

cheers
Sambo
Last edited by sambo3 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks mate.
Do you mind pm ing his addy to me?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Done,
Cheers
Sambo

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

sambo3 wrote:I dont expect the hubs to live up to the DTSwiss 240's on the edge/Enve but it will be interesting to see if they are as solid.cheers
Sambo
Please let us know how these Edhubs with ceramic bearings roll, and also how they compare with the DT Swiss 240s.

By the way you can now order Farsports wheels with the DT Swiss 240 hubs. They have also just brought out a newly designed clincher rim, called the 'Sunwheel'. Apparently it eliminates the possibility of heat failure due to a different design, construction and more basalt on the braking surfaces.

http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product ... s_hub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Has anyone bought a group set from one of these Chinese dealers, surely they aren't legitimate but how do they actually go?

cpical

Postby cpical » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I bought Frasports 38 carbon wheels a few months back, through a group buy on velobuild. Happy so far. But had a bad "death wobble" last Saturday while riding down from Kinglake. While investigating this purchase, or just after my ordering, I read that someone who bought FS carbon wheels had a horrific "death wobble" experience, without crashing. My wobble experience last week-end was the first ever. I will keep the FS wheels for the time being, but also have a wheel builder check the balance of the front wheel. If this happens again, I will probably switch to my older wheels.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:33 pm

cpical, don't blame the death wobble on the wheels. they can be totally ok, but if they are lighter, they may behave differently.
death wobble is still not well understood. I recommend whenever you get a new set of wheels, test them carefully on descents before going full boar.

sambo, I am glad you had a good experience with Smart. I have dealt with him at length, and he's been very reliable and true to his word.
I am impressed with the deal you got with him - spare spokes etc. Have you spoken with him via phone yet? He's a real try hard.

sambo3

Postby sambo3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Haven't spoken with him by phone however all my email questions were promptly replied, he seems like he wants to establish good customer relations.
Arlberg it will be a few weeks before I post a review and will will provide a comaparions with the Edge/Dtswiss wheelset. I will shod them with the same rubber
and on the same bike. I just hope the front wheel feels as solid as the Edge does under me.

cheers
Sambo

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:08 pm

our Sun Wheels series have been launched, with DT240S hubs, Sapim CX ray spokes, High teperature durable rims.
the price and weight are both higher and heavier than M series, and can be placed by complete wheelset as well as the
single hub, should any interested in feel free to contact me.

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:30 pm

kindly let the members know that if you bought wheels from Far sport and find that the V- brake attached with the package are wore out.
you are enable to contact with the sales you communicated before asking for replacement (free), which ony needs about 10US$ delivery cost
by EMS(as estimated). :) lol.....

roreybellows

Postby roreybellows » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Just got my 60mm CC set today. They look awesome. My god do I have some blisters from mounting the tyres on.

Took 6 days in total for shipping. 4 working days. Just so everyone knows, if you buy from FarSports.. put the tracking number you get in to the Auspost website or App and it'll give you a better idea of where they are when they hit Aus.

Pics to follow.

glennoqld

Postby glennoqld » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 pm

kylefoo wrote:our Sun Wheels series have been launched, with DT240S hubs, Sapim CX ray spokes, High teperature durable rims.
the price and weight are both higher and heavier than M series, and can be placed by complete wheelset as well as the
single hub, should any interested in feel free to contact me.
Hi Kyle, with the new sun rims, is the only difference the high temperature breaking surface? or is the whole rim stronger (more layers etc)? Interested to know what else changed from the standard M series.

Also on this site (below) you've got N,P,M,S series. Can you tell us a bit about how they are all different?
http://farsports.en.alibaba.com/product ... ncher.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glennoqld

Postby glennoqld » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 pm

I've noticed most of you are going the matte finish. Any reason other than it's just what you think looks better? I'm thinking of going glossy. Not too many pics here though of glossy ones..

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 pm

kirky92au wrote:Has anyone bought a group set from one of these Chinese dealers, surely they aren't legitimate but how do they actually go?
Bought a Microshift Arsis mini groupset (shifters, FD, RD) via Velobuild from YishuinBike
commonly quote about Arsis wrote:Durace weight at a 105 price
I would add 105 quality (ie not the very best, but pretty decent), I am impressed by the action of the shifters

Have yet to use them in anger, decided to use them on my climbing bike which needs a few little things sorted.