Advice for a student.

PerthNewbie

Advice for a student.

Postby PerthNewbie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:10 am

Hello everyone =) I made a post about looking for a new bike in the general section but thought my questions may be more suited to this section of the forum.
I have recently gotten back into cycling but have had to sell my bike as it was much too small for me. As such I am now in the position to buy a new bike and seen as I have done 95% off my growing I see fit to spend a reasonable sum of money provided the bike will last me with proper care (and luck).

I am more interested in longer rides rather than serious sprinting but would like to be able to dabble if need be.
I was at a local TBE where they were super intent on selling me a Di2 Amiata Trieste for $1995 but on speaking with two other LBS's they were of the opinion that the Amiata frame is of a very low standard.
I was also shown a Lapierre Xelius for $2400 but I was a little iffy about speding that much.

My question is where should I start, I have being looking in the usual places, Gumtree, Bike Exchange but haven't seen anything lately. How does Ultegra compare to 105? Does electric shifting offer any significant advantage?

scotto

Re: Advice for a student.

Postby scotto » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:26 pm

for long rides and being a student, under 2k for a Di2 bike seems rather good to me...
every shop will say this is better, thats no stiff enough, whats the point in all those PED's if your bike cant cope, etc etc
a bit like the cycling express bikes, most people happy enough.
go for it

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 pm

If you're on a budget steer clear of di2. Anything under 2k with it on is going to have crappy components on the rest of the bike. Personally im not a fan of tbe but found Wembley cycles and ride advice decent stores in that area after trying a couple of bikes from each recently.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:07 pm

PerthNewbie wrote:I was at a local TBE where they were super intent on selling me a Di2 Amiata Trieste for $1995 but on speaking with two other LBS's they were of the opinion that the Amiata frame is of a very low standard... How does Ultegra compare to 105? Does electric shifting offer any significant advantage?
Holey moley, a Di2 for $2K, just buy the bike and sell the parts on ebay. Put the frame out on the kerb...maybe someone will take it... :)

But seriously, that Amiata with Di2 is lipstick on a pig. It's not that the frame is that bad, it is probably decent enough but there is a total imbalance between frame and component value. You may be better off with a better frame and lesser components. The electronic shifting is nice, nothing wrong with it, but mechanical shifting also works perfectly well for less $ and if you are looking for better value suggest to put some more cash into the frame and less into the shifting.

PerthNewbie

Postby PerthNewbie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi Scotto, I do agree that LBS's are always going to tout their own gear but Im still stuck =)
Im going to have a ride of the amiata again but also being looking at some of the azzuri bikes on cycling express, can anyone comment on these bikes?
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/ver ... -6700.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/bik ... e-blk.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the frame like on the Verite team C?

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:01 pm

don't listen to the brand snobs. I say go for it. I'd much rather better running gear over better frame any day.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:19 pm

ozstriker wrote:don't listen to the brand snobs. I say go for it. I'd much rather better running gear over better frame any day.
I don't think the others are necessarily being brand snobs. They're basically saying that if you pay so much for the groupset, then costs have to be cut elsewhere.

The handling and feel of the bike is going to come mainly from the frameset.

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 am

I disagree once you add the brand tax to a frame the price is always going to be higher.

a lot of those no name frames are made from the same moulds of name brand frames. I own a cell and I can tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with that frame or the ride quality.

Just look at the problems trek were having with cracking frames. Dollars doesn't always mean quality.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 am

ozstriker wrote:I disagree once you add the brand tax to a frame the price is always going to be higher.
Yes. That is the price people pay for leading design, quality and brand association (status).
ozstriker wrote:a lot of those no name frames are made from the same moulds of name brand frames. I own a cell and I can tell you there is absolutely nothing wrong with that frame or the ride quality.
Depends on how refined your tastes are. If you are happy and can't tell the difference, good for you, you bought the right bike. Just don't ride any really good bikes and you'll continue to be happy. There is a reason why bike journos don't usually give 5 star ratings to cheap bikes (and it isn't about snobbery). This applies for cars and various other consumer goods. For many who have ridden many bikes over the years and know exactly what they want, they are prepared to spend the money. Many also know that it is often the mid-range price point that gives the best value as diminishing returns apply.
ozstriker wrote:Just look at the problems trek were having with cracking frames. Dollars doesn't always mean quality.
Trek are often trying to push the limits in weight with their designs. Not a surprise. Dollars doesn't always mean quality, but it's a good pointer. I'm sure if Trek weren't honoring their warranties, we would be hearing about it.

sergiomyth

Postby sergiomyth » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 am

Nobody wrote:
ozstriker wrote:don't listen to the brand snobs. I say go for it. I'd much rather better running gear over better frame any day.
I don't think the others are necessarily being brand snobs. They're basically saying that if you pay so much for the groupset, then costs have to be cut elsewhere.

The handling and feel of the bike is going to come mainly from the frameset.
This is totally bogus IMO, Cycling Express own this brand so they sell it direct which is why the price is what it is. All the reviews I have read everywhere online about this bike & frame (Azzurri Forza) say it is a great frame. I've found over 30 and yet to find one negative so I don't know where you are getting your info from! You really should test ride (they have a 40 day test ride policy) or do some homework before making these kinds of comments.

paulz

Postby paulz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:24 am

My mate has just bought one of the Amiata's with di2. Very early days but he really likes it. He has come off an old giant which was too big for him. So the ride feel is quite different as you would expect. Frame looks fine. Time will tell about the longevity of the frame. If you get a couple of years out of the frame you can swap over components to a new frame. The pricing is great. I have Ultegra di2 on my bike and it is superb...that front DR shift is sweet as. :D

Snicks

Postby Snicks » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:13 pm

Having ridden the Amiata in a previous incarnation, I can attest to it being OK. There is nothing wrong with it, and it will not spontaneously combust underneath you, however in terms of ride quality it is not brilliant. But really, to be honest, as a bike for a student returning to riding, I see absolutely no issue with it (heck, it's exactly what I chose in your position!)